Hostage Situation Training

45IPAC

2h

Shoot the hostage in the leg

That is a quote from Keanu Reeves in the movie Speed and he does shoot his partner in the leg.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking of. Him shooting Jeff Daniels in the leg.

2 Likes

Sadly, I believe a personal detachment from the hostage would determine if one takes the shot. The aftermath of killing a loved-one you intended to save is____________.

3 Likes

Yes, Action Target’s scenario line is great, and if your range allows human characteristic targets and or hostage targets, I highly suggest using them.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is one to consider a lot in advance so, should it happen, you don’t vaporlock. I’m pretty sure there’s no good answer. And no answering it in advance. No matter what you do is gonna be a bad day.
And welcome to the community @Ronald1, glad you’re here

1 Like

This is something that I have trained for alot. The only 2 people I would use that training for is my daughter or my wife. Otherwise I am going to stay out of it and let the professionals handle it.

However, in training for that, I have had extensive talks with wife and daughter, about their need to go completely limp if taken hostage. As it would open more of a target.

I would not allow my wife or daughter to be taken from wherever this would happen at to another location. Statistics are not kind to women who have been taken from one crime scene to a secondary scene.

But I would not be willing to make that decision for someone else.

YMMV

3 Likes

Zavier is correct you do not want to let someone (victim) go to the second crime scene. The result of that is almost always fatal. His advice to his loved ones to go limp is excellent also. Try holding up a person who is limp with one arm sometime. Taking the shot depends on only one factor. It is the last desperate hope to save the hostage. That is why training is so very important. Otherwise let a professional hostage team deal with it along with their sniper and his rifle. Retired Member Missouri association of Crisis/hostage negotiators