Hostage Situation Training

No my ccw instructor said he couldnt tell me what to do because everyone hold up is differant…

3 Likes

I’ve practiced with this at the range a bit as well as in some official classes. I fun (if you can call it that) drill to do is to use two overlapping targets. The one in the back being the bad guy. I don’t think real life will ever be this cut and dry but like I said, it’s something to practice with.

2 Likes

I admire the honesty. The bottom line is that, even though we like to think we know how we will respond to something like this, we do not! I do believe that during an adrenaline dump we will revert to our training. The more you train, the more you will be able to predict your response, but nothing is guaranteed. Please continue training beyond the CCW class. Remember that the skills learned in training are perishable, so training must be a consistent endeavor.
I recently took force on force training and even the simplest decisions (like getting off the X), let alone life-saving actions were a challenge when the scenario escalated.

3 Likes

Definitely! I do a bunch of training - a perk of working where I work :slight_smile: - I’ve come to know my limitations and growth path pretty well.

I had the amazing opportunity to be in a proving ground two years ago and learned so much. I was able to keep a cool rational head for the first scenario, but the actor in the second really got into my head. I couldn’t tell you how many times I had shot after the scenario was over - they later told me 5 times and I got to search for the dummy rounds.

It was truly scary - and I knew it was a simulation and I was safe. I have done a ton of mental training since… but if my granddaughter was in the arms of the kidnapper, I don’t know if I could take the shot. If she was in a stroller and it was being taken and I had a clear shot - no issues with that one. I’d take the shot.

As with all what if scenarios - it’s going to be situational.

3 Likes

I just took a training class called the Fight! at Tactical Response and it is like the Proving Ground. Scenario based training is the best, worst and most confidence inspiring. Best as it expertly shows you where you are weak, Worst because it will trash a fragile ego, and most confidence inspiring, because if you are like me, you left it knowing that when it is time apply deadly force, there will be no question. That decision is unambiguous.
By the way, in my first scenario, I murdered (simulated) one of two aggressive panhandlers! After that, I settled into my zone and learned a ton!

2 Likes

The way I used this book is I put Post-It Page Markers on the pages of interest (Pages that dealt with New Jersey) so I could do a quick reference every once in a while to refresh my memory. Occasionally, if I am looking for a state I would like to move to, I will look up that state’s laws to see how it would affect myself. It is a Great Reference book.

1 Like

Many are now teaching a pelvic girdle shot instead of the head shot.

Theory being bigger target, shattered pelvis puts them on their butt, and a great chance of hitting the femoral artery which will cause them to bleed out.

2 Likes

Hi @BrophE welcome to the community! Yep, that’s what USCCA teaches as the secondary target.

You’re very right, @BrophE. Masses Ayoob teaches pelvic girdle as well and it does make sense as it is a larger target and, if broken, makes it next to impossible to walk.

Welcome to the Community, BrophE!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome @Dawn

Thanks for the welcome @Zee - I’m likely going to take the instructors class next time there’s one close to me.

1 Like

Excellent!! Its a really good course.

1 Like

Head out to Front Sight June 5 for a four day defensive handgun course.

1 Like

Several years back, I believe in New York, 3 cops put 39 rounds in a junkie whacked out of his mind. It was a pelvic shot, that broke his hip and put him on the ground. He was still trying to attack the cops, but, was effectively immobilized. Also, as others have said, there’s pretty soft tissue in that region that make a central nervous system hit, and or femoral artery hit more likely. That would end the threat fast.

ALSO on my list :slight_smile: let us know how you like it!

1 Like

Will do @Zee - if you don’t have a membership out there, let me know. I have a 2A benefactor who will give you the 4 day course free and he’ll toss in an Uzi shoot and gun rental if ya need it.

2 Likes

Ooo Very cool… nice to have a benefactor!
I’m a member, just have to make a time when we can leave the farm… and I can justify the days off work :grimacing: and maybe when it’s not summer…

2 Likes

lol :rofl:

1 Like

@Zee it’s great. The trip June 5th is private range for 4 of us. I’m looking forward to 4 days on the range.

1 Like

Shoot the hostage in the leg🤷‍♂️ Seriously, this where the slow, precision side of target shooting comes in. You will be pointing the deadly end of a less than precision lead slinging instrument at one of your loved ones. Me personally, would only take that shot if it looks like my loved one is about to die anyway. The toughest part of the decision for me is this; what if I don’t take the shot, and the killer does kill my loved one? I can stop the loss of more innocent life, but, my loved one paid the price. I pray, if ever in this horrible situation, my nerves be calm, my eyesight sharp, and my aim be true.

1 Like