Hospital trip request after self defense shooting?

Went down a rabbit hole . What do you folks think about the hospital trip request if you were involved in a self defense shooting? Is this a good plan considering the psychological and physiological affect on the body and mind. Does this help the situation, give you time to collect yourself? Interested in what the community as well as our legal contributors have to say.

9 Likes

A very personal opinion… if you really think you need medical attention, ask for it. However, do not use it as ploy to avoid talking to the police; that is likely jut to p1$$ them off.
Separate subject on several other threads: what to say, what not to say, to whom and when, in the aftermath.

8 Likes

Your age, your health, your anxiety level (panic attack), or injured. These resons sure! But to not talk, make sure you have enough money to cover the cost! If they call your Bluff, and wait till you’re released!!!

7 Likes

I think we discussed this on the other thread.
I personally think you should always ask for a two ambulances and use one to transport yourself to the hospital.

Beside the medical factor, being in hospital after self defense shooting you are automatically granted 72 hrs without questioning. This time is really needed to shake off and put yourself together before you start answering questions.

Most people are not able to clearly think for few hrs after shooting or any violent incident, so at least 48 hrs is a must to stay out of everything related to the incident.

As I mentioned on other thread, in IL hospitalization is the best option. Even I’ll be handcuffed to the bed, it is always better than spending time in jail.

5 Likes

Many of the people I’ve encountered after a shooting have been an emotional wreck. A hospital does not change/fix that.

Remember, the police are not there to prove that the shooting is justified. They are focused on gathering evidence of a criminal act. Anything you say to them will be used against you. Don’t talk to them until you have a lawyer.

5 Likes

“Give you time to collect yourself” = “I will cooperate 100% but first I need my attorney [do not talk further without your lawyer present]”

Attorneys say the single most powerful, effective, useful, American thing you can do is the above. Actively invoke your Right to an attorney and your Right to remain silent.

If you need or think you may need medical attention, absolutely ask for it. Asking for it as a way to wait for your attorney before talking…nah…you do that directly. I will cooperate but first I need my attorney and then stop talking

9 Likes

I was taught just to give the basics that you were forced to defend yourself and don’t get into specifics beyond that (e.g. how many shots fired, how far away was he, can you describe his weapon, etc). “I plan to fully cooperate and answer the rest of your questions after I’ve had a chance to recover from the trauma and confer with counsel.” I haven’t heard about the hospital hack before. I don’t think it would be necessary in my part of SoCal. But it could be useful if something happened in a more politically hostile part of the state, like the Bay Area or L.A. I suppose.

5 Likes

I would say at our average age here, this is a traumatic event, at any age this is going to be traumatic. Use every advantage afforded! If I’m correct after a self defense shooting involving LEO, that officer has 48 hours to chill out, get medical care and get his FACTS straight, not his story!

7 Likes

If you have a medical condition - it’s going to be amplified after an incident. HIgh blood pressure? It’s going to be thru the roof as will be your pulse. Diabetes? The stress will amplify your high / low blood sugar. If you have a well documented condition I’d say you’d do well to have your self checked out to ensure you will not suffer an episode of some type away from a facility that you could have easily gone to.

6 Likes

I think as soon as you become a AARP member you qualify, no questions asked!

5 Likes

@Rafael43 Welcome to the community, and yes it’s best to seek medical attention after a self defense incident.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Rafael43

4 Likes

I’ve already died once from a heart attack so if after a self defense incident my heart wasn’t feeling 100% I would likely ask for a ride to the hospital.

However having spent a total of 17 days in the hospital after that event the last thing I ever want to do again is spend another day in a hospital if I don’t have to. Not only is a hospital a horrible place to be it is also incredibly expensive (even with good insurance) and I doubt the USCCA insurance will pay for the visit.

If my heart was feeling OK and I wasn’t injured, I would call for my lawyer right after 911 and not for the ambulance.

6 Likes

I can’t speak for other, but since I have Addison’s an adrenal gland issue that is severely impacted by stress, anytime I go past x stressor I will ask for a hospital. With Addison’s you either manage your stress or you die.

5 Likes

I think it is a good option. It is better to know one has the option and not need it than to need it and not know one has it.

3 Likes

Robert 1246 I love ya little bird you are a good person and we disagree but we agree on the things that matter brother sir love Bobby Jean sir :us::feather::feather::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::100:

1 Like