Hornady: Temporary suspension of nickel plated cartridge cases for Critical Defense® Handgun Ammunition

Was a bit shocked when I saw the last purchase was raw brass.
They will re-assess in 6 months.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @Robert_M3. It’s the self defense ammunition I use.

4 Likes

Appreciate the heads up, but really hate the delay :sob:

1 Like

I really wonder how much the nickel plating helps? All of my reliable self defense guns seem to have no problems feeding brass cases. I guess the nickel is more corrosion resistant though I don’t have an issue with stored brass ammo here in AZ.

Not saying I don’t prefer nickel plated self defense ammo. They probably feed with slightly less friction and store better. Just don’t know that I would feel that much less safe without it.

3 Likes

It’s sexier, looks like it should be used on werewolves :grinning:

6 Likes

Happy Birthday brother @Lu-Can and may the good lord grant you health and blessings.

3 Likes

According to what I 'm reading, They are just suspending nickle plating. They will be out without the plating. Am I reading it right?

3 Likes

Yes. The boxes are also labeled brass case.

3 Likes

Hornady bills the plating as making the cartridge more visible in low light conditions. And it does!

I’ m tempted to pick up a box in case it’s ever a collectors item. :thinking:
Or maybe not… I don’t think I want to remember these days. :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Brass cases are nominally thicker than plated.
Perhaps this makes un-plated brass cases stronger?
I certainly get more reloads out of brass cases than plated.

3 Likes

Does this really effect anything?

2 Likes

Plated=less green scum when you’ve left your cartridges in the loops of your Sam Browne too long.
That’s about it, practically speaking.
My opinion anyway.

2 Likes

I do ammo maint. and inspection periodically. Its usually one of those rain day things at the bench. Usually don’t let the defensive ammo stay in gun for to long.

2 Likes

Thank you very much my brother and may God continue to bless you and yours.

4 Likes

Just curious, Do any of the the fellow CCWs out there remove and inspect their carry ammo that tends to stay in their carry guns? Its a 2 week cycle for me. I do fire my carry ammo, But my range stuff is ball generally

2 Likes

Sun is shining today. Family range day it is. I’m RSO today.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Saw a vid which discussed changing out EDC ammo:

4 Likes

What’s the purpose of nickel plating? Do they put it over brass or steel?

3 Likes

Damn. Hadn’t heard this. I just bought three boxes and haven’t even opened or looked at them yet. Finding this particular ammo these days is like panning for gold, so when I see some in stock somewhere I jump on it pretty quickly.

2 Likes