Winter Ammo

A friend of mine advised me to switch to the Hornady ammo due to additional layered clothing and jackets worn during the winter. He stated it could slow down a regular hollow point or deflect it. Does it matter? What say you? Thanks.

3 Likes

I think a lot of that depends on the caliber of your carry gun. What kind of gun do you carry? If it makes you feel better, and more comfortable in the winter months, carry it. Just buy a few extra boxes to make sure they function in your firearm.

2 Likes

Yes, layers can affect the penetration of the bullet. I would venture to say that most of major brands perform well under most conditions. Even Hornady Critical Defense will be affected by layers of clothing but the polymer plug helps to keep its performance.

5 Likes

I have a S&W M&P Shield 9mm, I am not to concerned about it but just wanted a few more opinions about it, thanks.

3 Likes

I also live in Southern California so the layers of clothing may not be the same as the mid-west or other places where cold is a monthly thing.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I hadn’t really considered winter layers to be sufficient to deflect or stop penetration, though at the range yesterday, we were discussing 9mm hollow points and what little performance difference there was and why it night matter. Wish this had been brought up then.

2 Likes

I feel safe saying that any good ammunition should get through whatever clothing you will run into in SoCal!

4 Likes

Yep, excuse #3 for not taking on that diet…the “extra layers” are for defense :rofl:

Seriously, the Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense hollow points both have a “plug” in them to prevent them getting “clogged” when shooting through barriers (whether winter coats or walls or glass) and allowing them to achieve their designed expansion. So I just carry that all year round.

1 Like

The only change of ammo I’ve done for winter is with my 357 magnum (Rem UMC 125gr SJHP -> Hornady Critical Defense) to reduce the potential of clogging if needed during the winter. Additionally, the velocity (and therefore energy) of the two rounds are very similar, they hit at the same POA through my revolver, and the Hornady Critical Defense has slightly less flash than the Rem UMC (in this caliber). The Barnes Tac-XPD also performs similarly for me (lead free bullet), although I haven’t seen a comparison for heavy clothing in this particular caliber. Side note… I usually do not carry the 357 magnun in warmer weather.

Currently I do not use a different round for winter in other calibers, although I am considering the Critical Defense if I start carrying the 40 S&W (I haven’t tested enough rounds with that particular firearm yet; reliability and POA/POI testing). I’ll also mention that the Lucky Gunner website has ammunition comparisons for many calibers and brands on the website. Many of the tests were done with smaller, CCW sized handguns, and even a seperate page for 2" vs 4" revolvers.

1 Like

In general I prefer the “heaviest for caliber” rounds I can acquire. So in my case it’s 230gr in .45 ACP. After that it is a matter of preference and availability as to boolet type. Heavy winter vestments or bullet proof vest I am pretty much instinctively going with the two to the center and a well aimed head shot or Ballzambique (one to the pelvis, one to the chest and one to the head) which should suffice on most occasions regardless of the season.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

After viewing this video and hearing everyone’s opinion’s and advice, my conclusion is that any round will penetrate winter clothing.

All penetrated but some didn’t expand fully or at all. As he stated, if a 25 or 380 will penetrate, so will everything else in a higher caliber.

Even the Hornady had some clogging in the testing.

I will most likely get some critical defense ammo at some point in time but I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

1 Like

I don’t know, @Anthony39, I’ve seen people in Southern California wear heavy winter coats when the weather drops into the 40’s and 50’s during an unusual cold snap. :cold_face: In Wisconsin, we don’t break out the heavy coats until it’s in the teens :wink:

2 Likes

My thoughts are on when temp gets into the single digits, which happens at least twice for a couple of days during the winter. When that happens, Tennesseans break out the long johns.

While you are switching out your ammo don’t forget that as the temperatures drop, the air in your tires contracts. You may need to switch out the summer air with winter air. :snowflake::snowman_with_snow:

2 Likes

I see some Californians wear shorts and sandals in the winter, I think they are in denial of winter and don’t know how to dress when it gets cold, lol.

1 Like

Well, it’s winter, so a jacket would be appropriate.

1 Like