Best self-defense ammo

I have my own idea of what I thought I liked for self-defense but as usual I am always looking to be better. For self-defense ammo I want reliability and performance just like anything I get. I carry .45 ACP and that is just my preferred EDC. I have Federal Law Enforcement 230 grain hollow points for my choice. It works fine in my 1911.
I was wondering what ya’ll are using and why? How has it tested out at the range? or have you even tested it out?

4 Likes

.45ACP. I like the performance of the round and it is fun to shoot. The recoil goes straight-back through your arm, less muzzle-flip. Unlike .22LR or 9mm, the holes in the target are easy to see and makes shredding the bull much easier than with a .22LR.

2 Likes

I like Hornady line of defensive ammo. For 45 I like the Critical Defense why not critical duty?because it is a 45​:grin::grin: for 9mil I go with Critical duty. I have never had any problems with either.

2 Likes

The choice between Critical Defense versus Critical Duty may not be best made based on solely on caliber. Instead, read Hornady’s own page Critical Duty & Critical Defense Differences
Based on the information there I chose Critical Defense for EDC.

3 Likes

A -it’s a 45 and my edc is is a Kimber ultra carry and aluminum framed and I don’t like shooting +p loads in it

2 Likes

HST is my go to. I prefer standard, but I’ll run +p. It’s the gold standard for reliability and ballistics.

6 Likes

Federal HST
Speer Gold dot

Always tested.

7 Likes

Speer Gold Dot 9 mm 115 gr.

Why? I don’t have an option to test it how it performs. I rely on FBI statistics and reliable internet testers.

It shoots exactly the same as my training ammo so I don’t have to waste SD one for practice. I only shoot 2 or so once I buy a new box for replacement ( every 2 years maybe?).

3 Likes

That is exactly what I use. Great rounds.

3 Likes

Federal Hydra-Shok, 230 gr. Yes, there is other ammunition out there that is good and will do the job.

Hydra-Shok

However, IMHO, this one will leave the threat a little more somewhat “humbled”.

7 Likes

9mm Federal 147gr HST.

3 Likes

Wad cutters. Hollow-point ammo that doesn’t reach 1,000 fps does not expand reliably.

1 Like

Situational awareness and de- escalation but if you mean in my gun I use what ever I have. What ever kind of self defense ammo I can find and if I can’t find any I use FMJ and then only for de-escalation.:neutral_face:

1 Like

There are a number of JHP choices that expand reliably, all the way down to 3" barrels. Modern ammo tech is great.

Example

(ETA: For a revolver, Gold Dot has some great short barrel .38spl and some great 357 mag 125)

4 Likes

I prefer Hornady C.D. I have also purchased 3 different “specialty rounds” from Underwood for pistol and rifle.

3 Likes

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra carry II

2 Likes

How well does the HST run through your gun? Any problems with feeding or jamming?

1 Like

Yea I’m a real Gold Dot fan. My Kimber EVO Loves them.

5 Likes

I prefer HST because it has been extensively tested, is widely used by law enforcement, shown to work about as well or better than the other quality options and can usually be bought for noticeably less then the other options if you buy it in bulk.

But I have no qualms using Gold Dots if I can’t find the HSTs or on the rare occasion I can find them for cheaper. The Hornady critical defense/duty options also seem like solid options in most calibers but the Duty seem to perform less well from shorter barrels based on the tests I’ve seen.

The above mostly applies to 9mm though likely also applies. In 9 I prefer the 147gr over the lighter options because at least for me in my pistols the recoil feels like more of a push and less snappy allowing for faster follow up shots.

In .380 the only round I completely trust is the Hydroshok Deep with various ammo maker options using XTP bullets being a somewhat distant second choice.

I prefer to put at least 100 rounds through my SS pistols without any hitches before trusting it for carry/home defense.

7 Likes

Federal HST 124 gr for my Nine MM’s

5 Likes