Hornady Black - BTHP 75Gr

Found these at my LGS, I’ve never seen them before. They are a little hotter than I’d like for HD but, I’ll give them a try at the range. Anyone have any experience with Hornady Black?

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with the Hornady Black ammo but most BTHP rifle ammo is made for accuracy not for self defense. They usually aren’t designed for controlled expansion like pistol hollow points or rifle soft points. Not saying they wouldn’t work but there are much better self defense options out there.

Hornady makes some really good ammo though and I bet these would be great for target shooting if your rifle likes the weight and design.

6 Likes

I used them in my 450BM, good round

2 Likes

Wouldn’t mind putting a few rounds through my Tavor SAR 5.56 NATO 16.5” Barrel 1:7 twist. EOTech EXPS3 w/ 3x magnifier. 11 pound trigger takes some getting used to. This is a joy to maneuver in small spaces, very accurate.

4 Likes

Interesting, now I’m excited to try them.
I bought a box of these as well. I’ve shot some of these and keep a mag or two full around the house.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen Critical Defense in .223 before. Looks like they are designed for home defense with limited penetration. As long as they penetrate deep enough to get the job done they should be a good option.

I have a couple of mags of Federal tactical TRU rounds loaded for in home defense that have a similar sounding design. They are designed to fragment violently to avoid over penetration but they barely meet the FBI penetration standards. I prefer Speer Gold Dots for their deeper penetration and better barrier penetration ability for most potential situations outside of the home.

4 Likes

IMO >> Any amo you can get today is good. You might pay more for a boat tail stile butter that is engineered to create less air drag over longer distances. As I understand match grade bullets can be considered. ( V.L.D. ) very low drag and with exception are not recommended for hunting. Sierra BULLETS told me that drawing of copper over a longer distance makes the copper harder/more brittle and not because the jacket is thicker.
PS: more interesting stuff about hollow points if you reload.

2 Likes

This stuff looks interesting for HD. Agree with Shamrock, the little hollow points are designed to improve airflow, like the bulb on a tanker, and are designed for accuracy at distance. hpbt is my .308 RPR’s food. Anyways…hd if 5.56 and .300bo

2 Likes

Their expanding monolithic copper .223 ammo looks interesting. I’m still leary of ammo like their fluted pistol rounds. They look impressive in gel tests but my understanding is that hydrostatic shock does not create significant damage in real flesh unless the velocity is closer to the 2000fps range.

2 Likes

@mattm @Shamrock >> long but interesting. Google this up to see full article.

3 Likes

Later… wife’s telling me to go to the club…20 degrees out, but we got heat. Pistol range, my head and back will be warm, hands cold. Rifle, those bay doors…ah well, guess it’ll be semi auto day…warm barrel…

1 Like

Oh ya, young blood. Come home to a home cooked meal. It’s gonna be. Cold in our neck of the woods this week.
Have fun……

2 Likes

Yeah, wife’s making a beef stew. Change in plan though…just not into getting motivated today…noon and still in my shorts (retirement rocks🤗)…think a workout and a run…go shoot Wednesday I think.

2 Likes

Way to go. Got to have a plan. Never do today what you could put off till tomorrow so you’ll have something to do tomorrow you see. Don’t forget the story about the young bull & the old bull cause it’s true.
For now at least try to get in a little trouble.
PS: let me know if heard about the old bull & the young bull.

1 Like

Squall delayed my run, but did more reps…and now it’s sunny… ish :laughing: Yardwork last week, taking my yard back a bit from the encroaching tree and bush life. Got a view of my little pond again, memories of my 3year old stuck in the mud with a shovel…digging
Gone 7 years not being an outlaw…looks like the state wants to make us all outlaws again. So be it.

2 Likes

flat surface of a cylinder

The meplat (from the French word “méplat” meaning " flat surface of a cylinder ") is the technical term for the flat or open tip on the nose of a bullet. The shape of the meplat is important in determining how the bullet moves through the air.

2 Likes

When the weather is hot and sticky that’s no time to dip your W**i.
Good luck on the range.
Truly
Bky.

2 Likes

IMO * This is interesting to me because.

• the more weight that is over the bearing surface of a projectile with exception the projectile will be more accurate and easier to stabilize.
    The down side is that the bullet coefficiency will be reduced and air drag will be increased.
  • a longer projectile with exception will require a faster spin/twist rate to stabilize it. IE: 5.56 when first introduced had a few problems, one of them was to slow of a twist rate, that has gone down to a 1/7 twist rate to Accommodate a 75± grain bullet. Another problem was using surplus
    gun powder that was to slow burning instead of the powder the cartridge was engineered with. Lastly not issuing appropriate required cleaning gear for the weapon.
    Of course the 223/5.56 is the Bees knees.
    PS: don’t shoot the Messenger.
1 Like

Beef stew, Ya Right, young blood.

2 Likes