Home Safe for Ruger AR-556

Recently purchased an AR-556 and I’m looking for advice on home rifle safes that will also hold pistols. Not looking for anything extravagant just reasonably priced and quality. Anyone have suggestions?

2 Likes

Are you looking for a quick access under the bed kinda safe or a standup style for multiple guns and ammo?

The correct answer is “BOTH”. :wink:
Love my AR-556. Need to take it out more.
I’m looking at safes too.

I have this, meets minimum requirements, nothing fancy.

Stack-On GCB-8RTA Steel 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Security Cabinet, Black

Stack-On

Model: GCB8RTA

Safes are an interesting animal. Not all safes are equal. Look at how much steel is in the foot, sides, top and bottom. I learned about several good brands. The less expensive safes are more like gun cases. If all you’re trying to do is keep curious hands off that’s okay. But to get real security is a whole new animal.

Liberty, Winchester, Bighorn, Knox

Must watch video:

2 Likes

Excellent! Thank you.

I was going to get a little gun safe and due to a variety of circumstances, I ended up with a large safe (it’s still feeling empty :frowning: ).

Don’t forget you can get safes that offer fire protection as well. I have my important documents and items with huge sentimental value (my great grandmother’s engagement ring, my grandmother’s engagement and wedding rings - not expensive, but priceless).

4 Likes

I ended up buying this one made by Winchester and distributed thru Tractor Supply:
Winchester Gun Safe, 26-Gun Capacity, TS26-45 at Tractor Supply Co.

Tractor Supply puts it on sale probably at least 4 times every year. I’ll warn you it is made in China and is made from 14 gauge steel if I remember correctly. My research at the time indicated you are not significantly slowing anybody with a grinder until you get to 10 gauge. By then, the price has risen extremely significantly. Do remember most of the thickness of the walls and door are filler for heat protection. The rest of it is whatever gauge sheet metal you can afford.

I don’t fully trust the electronic keypad (although it has not given me any problems so far), so I like the backup key feature this safe provides.

I know there are people on this forum much more knowledgeable than me, so it won’t hurt my feelings if someone corrects anything I’ve said here.

1 Like

An empty safe is a world of wonderful possibilities waiting to be filled;)

For a safe that will really slow down more than a curious teenager or a rushed smash and grabber you need to spend well over $1000. I have seen some well regarded safes in the $800 range that are a decent compromise on the cost vs protection scale. Much less and you really just have a locking cabinet like the one @BeanCounter linked to. That Stackon in a locked closet was my primary storage for many years and still holds my practice ammo.

2 Likes

It’s a longish video, but the post above from @killjoy is very educational, and addresses a lot of what you’ve mentioned. A note on prices, though, the video is 9 years old.

1 Like

There is an option to install a backup lock (dial, I think). It’s in the video. 9gauge should be minimum if you want to call it a safe. I’d like to research if I can add 1,4” steel all inside one of the lesser gauge safes. I know they make safes with a good steel door but the sides and tops are easy to tear into.

My real issue is whether my floor can handle the weight of a real safe. That’s the only reason I’ve waited so long. I might get a simple metal case just to keep them out of the hands of my growing grandchildren. Gave one to my son just for that reason.

1 Like

The “fireproofing is basically Sheetrock or gypsum board installed on the inside. Lights would be great to have installed too. Need a power source for that. I’m thinking about buying a large battery generator that can be used for emergencies and camping.

The one I bought has a hole predrilled in the back to pass a power cord through. I could cut the plug off a power strip, pass it through from the inside, and put a new plug on it. The predrilled is through the metal skin, you have to finish the hole through the gypsum board.

I might get to that one day and have power for lights and dehumidifier.

1 Like