Holster for Conceal Carry S&W M&P .380 Shield EZ

Hey everybody,

I’ll apologize if anyone has already asked this, but I didn’t see anything specific to this question.

I just got my Shield EZ and it is my first EDC (I just learned what that meant, go me). I am new to looking for holsters and though I know holsters of all about personal comfort and taste, I thought I would ask anyway.

When looking for a holster I want what everyone else wants, security, and comfort. My one concern is I don’t want anything that may cause the firearm to go off in movement. I know that the best feature of the EZ is that it is easy to use.

If anyone has anything that they have used and enjoyed carrying this specific gun with, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks. I’m having a lot of fun reading throughout the different communities of posts.

1 Like

Don’t worry, there’s no way that handgun goes off in good quality holster.
If the trigger guard is completely covered and it’s not soft cloth holster - you are good.

Hopefully Shield EZ owners will point to exact model to help you find the best holster.

2 Likes

As you said, holsters are subjective, but you nailed it with security and safety of the firearm. Luckily there are some really good holster makers these days. You’ve probably already been told or read kydex or leather for your specific model is the way to go. I personally prefer kydex and it’s rigid structure, but a quality leather holster will serve anyone well also. My go to IWB holster is the Vedder light tuck. They fit almost all popular gun models. They are quality made and conceal very well.

Get ready though, you’ll probably need to set aside a box or drawer for holsters. It can be frustrating but eventually you’ll find what works for you.

4 Likes

I was just looking at the Vedder RapidTuck with the Kydex. I saw that they had suggested the light tuck as well.

Yeah I have seen a lot of people on YoutTube talking about how many holsters they have, whether they used them for different carry or just didn’t like them, lol…

3 Likes

I would highly recommend the Alien Gear Shape shift kit. It’s $100, but you get a holster you can move around and try a lot of different positions. It’s also very comfortable, and it has the same retention as a kydex holster (you get a “click” and know the gun is holstered). You can also buy part of the kit from them if $100 is too steep. This holster also doesn’t have screws you have to worry about coming loose.

This CYA holster is my favorite. It’s really easy to clip on and go. I have two of these and they have been really good. The screws started to work their way out of one and it made the holster loose, but I put a little loctite on them and I’m good now (most holsters do this).

CYA Supply Co. Fits S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ Inside Waistband Holster Concealed Carry IWB Veteran Owned Company Amazon.com

You want a holster specifically made for your gun. I would get kydex. They do make hybrid holsters with leather and kydex. The Alien gear functions like this, but instead of leather it’s neoprene and the holster part works like a typical kydex holster (like I said earlier). I do have a crossbreed hybrid holster. I like it, but I’ve had more issues with screws, figuring retention out. Good holsters though.

2 Likes

I am a Tier One fan. I also have a drawer full of holsters and found that Tier One works best for me.

1 Like

:+1:
And from safety perspective it’s the price people should think about :slightly_smiling_face:
It doesn’t mean we have to spend $100, but I’m surprised if somebody recommends holster for $20 :scream:

We spoke about this several times - good quality and fully safe holster. And probably not very comfortable…

I have to confess here… I bought AIWB holster for $35 one day. It was good (that time). Now, after I gained more knowledge (Thx to this great Community :+1:) I know that was a mistake. That holster is going to stay in drawer forever.

UPDATE:
@Scoutbob - this one you linked from Amazon seems to be OK. Mine was leather… for $35 :upside_down_face: .
Kydex holsters are cheaper every month (which is great).

1 Like

I’d say it’s a really good price considering you get a hybrid holster, and appendix holster, OWB holster, and a paddle holster. I think there’s more. Otherwise you’d buying at least 4 separate holsters, and you’d be paying at least twice as much.

And like you said, safe. I really like the retention system in it.

1 Like

I’ve been using CYA holster for a few years. It is specifically shaped to the gun, it has adjustable retention, the trigger guard is completely covered, and when you turn the gun upside down and shake it does not fall out. I always present it as “cheap” but it’s really just affordable because it’s just molded kydex and I get free 2 day shipping with amazon :joy:. $40 gets you a functional safe holster. I was shocked when I saw this holster at Academy. I usually have a rule of thumb to not buy holsters from sporting good stores. I think the companies just growing so they’ve found a way into big retail.

I use it %95 of the time because I store my gun in it, and it’s very quick and easy to clip on my belt. Only issue I’ve had is the retention screws working themselves loose, and that took a few years to become an issue. Every now and then I Consider buying a Tulster, but it appears to be the same thing for $20 more.

I’d be lying if I was tempted to buy one of those $25 leather holsters, but I always hold off :joy:.

2 Likes

:+1: :ok_hand: :wave:
And that’s the perfect definition of SAFE holster !

3 Likes

I have found that I alternate between two different ones, depending on the weather, my pants that day, the belt or shirt I’m wearing, if I’m driving or walking, etc… Some days one is just more comfortable than the other. One is all kydex, the other is an AG hybrid.

1 Like

I have the Alien Gear IWB holster and love it.

2 Likes

I also strongly recommend the Alien Gear Shape shift system. I agree with everything you stated, and I also want to ad this: You can add-on to the system for multiple guns. I own multiple carry weapons and this system allows me to quickly (less than 60 seconds) change out the “shell” from one gun to another. It’s deceptively simple once you get over all the stuff that comes in the box. I watched the recommended YouTube video that came with it and was instantly put at ease.

2 Likes

I have the same holster. I haven’t found, yet, a mag carrier I like. The protrusions on the side of the magazine prevent a very tight fit, unless someone makes one with grooves on the inside. I don’t like loose carriers with flaps.

Welcome to the community. I don’t know if this will help, but I use these

2-Pack Universal Magazine Holster IWB Clip | 9mm .40 .45 | Mag Holster For Glock 19 43 17 Sig 1911 S&W M&P | Fits Any 7 10 15 Round Clips For All Pistols | Gun Ammunition Holsters | Handgun Ammo Pouch Amazon.com

Instead of putting them in the waste band I put them in my belt like so

This keeps the mag secure. Keeps the mag from rubbing against my skin as much. Keeps the mag from taking up space in my waste band.

They work with my shield mags and my full size M&P 40 mags.

Thanks. For 15 bucks if they don’t work to my satisfaction I can always throw them in my holster drawer. Or, they will work with a different brand mag. Regards, and thanks again. Ron

1 Like

I swap my carry wep from time to time. One is a 38 special 5shot Taurus 85 the other is a S&W SD9
So both are identical to what you want to carry i use the alien holsters for them. Honestly for the money they are great. If anything breaks ever for any reason. They replace them, every part. If you sell one gun they will swap out the shell for the new gun free… really nothing bad to say about them.