HIVIZ FastDot H3

I found the concept interesting.

AmmoLand HIVIZ FastDot H3

The FastDot H3 provides the user with faster sight acquisition out of the holster and positive sight alignment feedback through conventional sight alignment. Instead of a traditional blade centered in a notch, this site uses a circle within a circle. As the user brings the front sight into alignment with the rear, the front red sight disappears behind the rear sight leaving behind a glowing green circle to alert the user of positive alignment.

If anyone is interested, Optics Planet has them for $120.

5 Likes

I’ve been always very skeptical about all “new”, “revolutionary” or “better” concepts.

It looks interesting, definitely different, but without more info, reviews, videos other than manufacturer’s website it’s almost impossible to verify if those sights really make difference.

Right now I can only picture how it might improve my sight acquisition… but as a user of plain sights, fiber sights and tritium sights (all standard - front blade, rear notch) I actually think it might become more complicated trying to fit front dot into rear circle.
No doubt those HiViz won’t be even close to optic sights.

This concept is very similar to sights used by SIG in P365-SAS model… which I believe never became popular.

Anyway, good find. I hope we will see tests, reviews and users’ opinions soon.

4 Likes

I’d be interested in trying this out but I’d be worried that it would require precision alignment in order to get an acceptable sight picture.

When practicing for rapid defensive fire situations at 15 yards or less I don’t take the time to precisely line up the sights. I just get a flash sight picture of the front sight on the target and pull the trigger. This gives me acceptable accuracy at a fast pace.

I could see this making precision shots faster. Though likely not faster than a red dot and it might really slow me down when I’m more worried about getting as many solid hits on target as I can as opposed to having to try and hit one precise spot. It could add visual confusion by having to be on the lookout for two different sight colors when just trying to get acceptably accurate shots on target.

4 Likes

In my experience, what makes me faster with iron sights - front sight must be in different color than rear.
The best results I get, is when the front sight is red or green, but rear are plain black.

I cannot imagine how fitting front dot/circle in the rear circle may make acquisition faster…
As @Shamrock posted - if more precision involved, the process becomes slower.

3 Likes

I find this true for me as well. All of my defensive pistols have a bright orange front sight and either a black rear sight or I black out any color on the rear sight. I am faster when my eye is drawn straight to the front sight.

4 Likes

This is quite interesting. I am shooting with iron sights only after reading a book on fundamentals from a former Navy Seal small arms instructor (before I started my training). He advised to learn with iron sights before going to red-dot. They really pushed red-dot at my training facility (from day one), but I stuck with iron sights for learning as a newbie. Red-dot maybe later, but I am sticking with the basics for now.

7 Likes

Your approach sounds like a solid one. Even if you choose to go with a red dot later, being able to quickly switch back to irons if the electronics fail would be a very valuable skill.

4 Likes

@John1505 , keep training with iron sights. Once you build your fundamentals and you feel proficient with the firearm, then you can jump into red dot World.

Using red dot before iron sights may ends up with building bad habits. Firearm presentation with red dot differ from presentation with iron sights in order to hit the same hole in the target.

3 Likes

The difference I see, no pun intended, with this is looking at the rear sight and the target, as when the front sight is aligned with the rear sight, the rear sight is bright. If you are a bit off, you will still see some of the red front sight. Being near-sighted, the front sight and target are often blurry.

When I shoot mono-vision with one contact, it is in my left eye, and I am a lefty, so both the target and sights are blurry. When I shoot off-hand, both the sights and target are clear. However, I don’t typically wear a contact and at home I typically do not wear glasses nor a contact, so this type of sight would be a win-win for me. I would be able to see the target (I am far-sighted), and see a bright - even if it were blurry - green dot, as it goes from dull to bright when aligned properly.

3 Likes

I’ll stick to with XS Big Dot sights

3 Likes

Red dot optic fixes all the problems described above… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hate having to replace the battery in my BUIS. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grinning:

2 Likes

The difference is the profile of these sights is the same as regular iron sights and they do not use batteries. Also, red dot sights are much bigger than iron sights.

1 Like

I “see” this as good for left-right alignment as the red front sight will pop out and be in your sight picture. However, for vertical sighting, I wonder if the green dot rear sight starts getting dimmer when aiming lower and I can visualize the shooter loosing complete control if the front sight drops below the rear sight. Also, if it does get dimmer, will the shooter recognize this enough under stress?

Edit: Maybe this question would be answered if I saw a photo of how the sight picture looks when it is properly aligned

1 Like

And those definitely don’t bother me.
EDC must be fast and easy to use. If bigger optic makes me faster and less complicated seeing sights picture… that’s my way to go.
Anyway… That was discussed a lot on the other thread.

2 Likes

Not this sight. I really don’t care what your opinion is. You have stated it already. I think we understand your point. Please state it again, though, you have that right.

1 Like

IMG_5866

4 Likes

RED DOT was discussed, not HiViz. Please read with understanding.

BTW - if you don’t care about others’ opinions, just change platform or stop posting… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Yeah… Somebody got a script for a new episode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Casing still hurts… :wink:

2 Likes

I did and stated such. Re-read my post.

LOL. No, just your multiple posts stating the same thing is what I specifically stated.

1 Like