Here in Virginia, individuals who are blind are allowed to obtain a concealed carry permit. Can they in your state?

Here in Virginia, individuals who are blind are allowed to obtain a concealed carry permit. Can they in your state?

1 Like

Haven’t seen anything about that.

4 Likes

:rofl::thinking::rofl:

2 Likes

Those that are legally blind… Even in total darkness, one is still able to hear the direction of sounds. Those with impaired sight typically have all their other senses heightened. We practice point shooting, that does not require sights on the firearm, same would be true of those that are visually impaired.

I know that this topic was highly debated in the past, but those that are not firearm owners were the ones seeking to discriminate against the visually impaired. Those that are firearm owners, understand the mechanics and have no issue with a visually impaired person having a firearm. As to safe lines of fire, a visually impaired person can still “visualize” their environment (otherwise, it would be difficult for them to navigate) and understand, just as “sighted” people, what is a safe direction.

[Edit] Furthermore, as we age, we all experience impaired sight. Regulation of what level of visual impairment could eventually lead laws that only those with “perfect” vision would be “allowed” the RKBA. I suspect many here would fall into the “not allowed” category, if that were to occur.

3 Likes

Not a topic that intrigues me enough to look it up but I think anyone who is interested ,responsible enough and legally can should.

3 Likes

Sorry off topic

In NC there is no eye exam required for a CWP. Applicants must take and pass a State accredited course and pass the shooting proficiency test (50 rnds total at distances of 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards with 80% of the shots being within the 8 ring of a B27 target). Examiner may adjust yardage at their discretion. I have seen sighted persons pass the shooting portion with their eyes closed, but they did have the advantage of orienting to the target prior to shooting. So I guess the answer is “yes” - at least in theory.

1 Like

I can’t see that.

1 Like