Help me with my new Winchester 1200 Turkey Tosser

I went to a gunshow today and an old man walked up to me and says “Need you a Winchester?”.
I liked it and decided to get it for $100. New to me.

There be some turkeys nearby that I’ve been taking exception to, mainly because they’re out strutting in public and not filling my freezer. That’s kind of why I bought this thing.

It is:

Winchester 1200
30"
2-3/4
Modified Choke

I’m told that it’s not the best tool for the job. All I can say is it’s an upgrade from what I used to use. That being said, I’d appreciate any input you assassins of bearded bird might have.

Anything. Pretend you’re talking to a 5 year old.

What to expect? What loads you’d recommend? Put it on.

Thank you.

3 Likes

I have a Remington 1100 with a modified choke and used to hunt just about anything out to 50yds. I have shot steel shot with no damage to the mod. choke and it shoots Foster style rifled slugs out to 100yds. For Turkey I would use a #4 Pheasant load. Just pattern the load you want to hunt with. Aim for the neck where it meets the body, those pesky heads move alot.Good Hunting. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

#4 and #5 shot work well. Buy a couple of different boxes and pattern them at different distances. When the pattern gets much bigger than paper plate size you found your practical limit for the gun/ammo combo. As said aim for the head/neck.

5 Likes
1 Like

Gotta admit, I like that old-man salesman you met.

I only recently got into hunting, am a “greenhorn”, and will be for quite a while. For now, reading up on small game, .22 cal, and 20 to 16 gauge caliber ranges.

If I meet some goals, move up to medium size game.

Enjoying learning so many intricacies in shotguns, and the ethics of hunting.

Turkey’s sure some healthy nutrition.

2 Likes

It is said that if Turkeys could smell (like a Whitetail Deer) you would never kill one. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It is just fine for the job. Many turkeys have made their way to a table thanks to a 2 3/4 inch Winchester 1200 over many years. It doesn’t have to be a high tech bells and whistles “cool” turkey gun. As for prep, read what @BRUCE26 said. He knows of what he speaks.

1 Like