Gun safe in your car?

You got it, @LightBeing! You can travel through the state of IL with the firearm on you, but if you get out, you have to secure it - firearm in one place, ammo in another.

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn, I was still editing my last reply after you answered.

2 Likes

That’s it. Just make sure you do all that while you are still in the vehicle. I don’t even crack my door open before that’s done. I have a second lockbox and ammo goes in there.
Mostly I gas up before entering the state so I don’t have to even stop… I just drive straight through.

1 Like

Thanks Zee. I’ve got 3 more lock boxes beside the one installed in my vehicle and will be installing one more in the vehicle when it cools down a bit around here. Thanks for the clarification on the ammo. Second lock box in there will be good for ammo. Hope I never have to go to Illinois but if I do I’d avoid the Chicago area like the plague. :wink:

1 Like

Best choice right there.

1 Like

I have a vaultek VR10 tethered with a cable in the trunk. This allow me to carry my firearm to work and leave in the trunk securely.

2 Likes

This is what I got. Tethered it around the drivers seat rail and I just slide it in and out from under the seat. The cable is just the right length for me to set it on my lap and place my gun in or take it out. I also got an extra cable for if I need to use it somewhere else.

1 Like

I have a small Hornady safe I picked up on sale at Cabela’s some time ago behind my passenger seat cable locked to the seat frame. There’s no room between the front seat and back seat so it is out of view but I can access it from the driver’s seat. I keep a couple spare mags in there and put my pistol in those rare times I cannot carry, like going in to the jail.

2 Likes

They don’t make one for the Camaro!

2 Likes

I guess I should clarify, going to jail to see a client!

5 Likes

@MikeBKY I understood what you were saying Mike

3 Likes

Dawn: what about when I stop in Rockford and stay at a motel; can I take my gun into the motel room with me?

2 Likes

Have two gun safes for my cars that I got at Harbor Freight. They come with a cable that I put thru the seat frame. Not bullet proof but better than nothing.

3 Likes

You cannot remove the firearm from your vehicle, @Arthur1. I would avoid spending the night in IL if at all possible.

3 Likes

Rats! I’ve been bad. It is a very advantageous half way point for us, but I’ll have to do more homework on Belot maybe Janesville.

2 Likes

My husband installed a console vault in our Tahoe and Ram

https://www.consolevault.com/

3 Likes

Now your getting close to me

3 Likes

You are not required to unload the gun when leaving the car in Illinois IF you have a concealed carry permit. The vehicle must be locked, or the gun in a locked container, as well as NO other occupant is left in the car while you go to the restroom, etc… Make damn sure you lock your door because I have heard of LE walking up to out of state cars and pulling on the door latch. If the door opens and you are carrying a gun in an unattended vehicle your “screwed” when you return.

I do travel through IL often and carry without exception while driving (AIWB).

This is unlike those traveling through IL without a permit. Those guns MUST always be unloaded and out of reach, completely and always.

3 Likes

Thanks for your post, going to look up that lockbox. When I enter the medical center for appt’s I usually stash my EDC but with the drug users breaking into vehicles for stuff to steal & sell for their “fix” I feel it necessary to get a lockable container and the cable idea sounds great, thanks

Yeah, I purchased a portable gun safe with a cable, but seeing there were people bolting the safe to the car made me think I might do that, too. I’m concerned how quickly a cable can be cut with a battery operated tool with a cutting wheel attached.