Gun safe in your car?

I’ve got that same one in my truck, except I have key instead of combination. The only thing I don’t like about it is the console’s shape. That’s Rams fault, not the console vaults. It’s a pretty solid install. You’d need to tear the console apart to get in. I feel very confident that it would protect against the quick “smash and grab”.

2 Likes

In my truck, I have a console vault. Works great and can store my wife’s purse when we stop at the beach.

https://www.consolevault.com/

2 Likes

Safe under the back seat and in the console of my truck, under seat sliding drawer for my car. All made by Tuffy.

2 Likes

Dawn is 100% absolutely positively correct. If you have a license by the state you take up residence and if it stays in the same position you’re good. I really recommend buying gasoline before the border. As everyone knows Illinois is narrow and long just police are cool just be humble. They want to go home when their shift is finished. If you’re nice so are they. Stay in your car do not get out everything is good

2 Likes

Safe in the trunk. If I am travelling through indian country to a destination where I’m Good 2 Go I’ll lock it up until I get to where I’m G2G… There’s no point in courting trouble with the get out to lock-it-up routine and some states get irritated if it’s accessible from inside the car. A simple (fake) road rage report of “flashing” could be sustained IF it’s accessible. Does not make me happy but neither does being detained.

3 Likes

Per the link for Illinois: “Illinois does not honor CCW licenses from any other state.” However after extensive reading of the link you gave for Illinois (thank you!) it seems if you have a valid CCW from another state you can carry as long as the gun is in your vehicle. I guess it can be on you or in a container as long as you are in your vehicle. I’m still not clear on whether the gun must be unloaded, left in the vehicle and ammo separate if you get out of the vehicle. I have a locked thoroughly bolted down gun safe in my vehicle. To clarify my question if I get out of my vehicle in Illinois do I need to unload the gun, put the ammo in a separate place and lock the gun in the safe?

2 Likes

I sort of found my answer but it isn’t really as clear as it could be. From USCCA’s Illinois page: " If they need to exit the vehicle they must lock it or place the firearm in a locked container. Any ammunition needs to be stored separately " It sounds like you must unload the gun and put magazines and ammo in a separate place from the locked gun. Is that about right? Semantics leave it a bit unclear only because I think one could interpret this to mean you must lock the gun and keep any extra ammo stored separately but it does not specifically say you must unload the gun. Probably just wishful thinking :laughing:

2 Likes

You got it, @LightBeing! You can travel through the state of IL with the firearm on you, but if you get out, you have to secure it - firearm in one place, ammo in another.

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn, I was still editing my last reply after you answered.

2 Likes

That’s it. Just make sure you do all that while you are still in the vehicle. I don’t even crack my door open before that’s done. I have a second lockbox and ammo goes in there.
Mostly I gas up before entering the state so I don’t have to even stop… I just drive straight through.

1 Like

Thanks Zee. I’ve got 3 more lock boxes beside the one installed in my vehicle and will be installing one more in the vehicle when it cools down a bit around here. Thanks for the clarification on the ammo. Second lock box in there will be good for ammo. Hope I never have to go to Illinois but if I do I’d avoid the Chicago area like the plague. :wink:

1 Like

Best choice right there.

1 Like

I have a vaultek VR10 tethered with a cable in the trunk. This allow me to carry my firearm to work and leave in the trunk securely.

2 Likes

This is what I got. Tethered it around the drivers seat rail and I just slide it in and out from under the seat. The cable is just the right length for me to set it on my lap and place my gun in or take it out. I also got an extra cable for if I need to use it somewhere else.

1 Like

I have a small Hornady safe I picked up on sale at Cabela’s some time ago behind my passenger seat cable locked to the seat frame. There’s no room between the front seat and back seat so it is out of view but I can access it from the driver’s seat. I keep a couple spare mags in there and put my pistol in those rare times I cannot carry, like going in to the jail.

2 Likes

They don’t make one for the Camaro!

2 Likes

I guess I should clarify, going to jail to see a client!

5 Likes

@MikeBKY I understood what you were saying Mike

3 Likes

Dawn: what about when I stop in Rockford and stay at a motel; can I take my gun into the motel room with me?

2 Likes

Have two gun safes for my cars that I got at Harbor Freight. They come with a cable that I put thru the seat frame. Not bullet proof but better than nothing.

3 Likes