Growing concern of “toy” guns

Not sure if I’m in the right thread for this but I think it’s something people are either unaware of or don’t think about the ripple of what they are doing.
I am seeing more and more pictures and articles about people making real guns resemble toys like nerf, Lego, and Nintendo guns. I have been thinking about this a bit. If these are the new norm it poses a potential risk to children. Police and others will have a very hard time identifying if someone is aiming a toy or the real thing at them. This is concerning because police will have in mind that real guns will resemble toys at times. If a child finds a gun modified to look like a toy what could happen? I grew up playing cops and robbers with toy guns and don’t want the next generation to miss out of stuff like that.
I’m not telling anyone not to do it but to think of others. It is giving the anti gun community our rights on a platter. Does anyone else wonder about the repercussions of doing this?

4 Likes

Thx @Dustin12 tio this post.
I’ve been trying to express my similar thoughts few months ago when we discussed Glock modification, known as Block19:

A 2021-09-19 15-04-06

Yes… I can understand this is a free Country, everyone can produce whatever he wants… but sometimes people should think wider that through their profits. :angry:

I’m ok with educating kids about firearms and using Nerf like firearms or blue, orange guns… but reversing the situation and making real guns look like toys is really too much.

My kids are big enough to understand the problem, so I don’t care anymore. But there are lot of others who still cares what can happen during simple game.
We all advocate the awareness and bad situation prediction. This may be a part of it…

2 Likes

This is not a new problem, just a twist on an issue that has existed for decades.
There are far more toy and replica guns that resemble real firearms than there are firearms that resemble toys. And there have been many people of all ages shot when they pointed the look alike weapons at police. The answer 20-30 years ago was to put red or orange tips on the replicas so they would not be mistaken for the real thing. Soon after, gang members painted the tips of their firearms red or orange to make police think they were toys while children broke off the tips to make them look real. There are plastic training replicas made in red, blue and yellow. Gang bangers have painted their guns the same to confuse police and the public. The key, from a law enforcement perspective is, if it is perceived as a weapon, regardless of the color(s), the holder should expect to be looking down the barrel of a real firearm.

17 Likes

Not to mention all the designer colors for grip mods. I think Gray Guns has a P365 stippled grip in Robin’s Egg Blue.

4 Likes

Well, Superman, you, again, have proved your worth to be more than the weight of gold.

6 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Yep, that sure puts a difficult twist to it. Mattel made most of our guns in 1966. Neighborhood kids were always armed up for our usual Saturday war fighting. We were very apt at street to street combat as we lived in Lawton Okla and most if not all of our Dads were stationed at Ft Sill.
Next thing we will see is the seat warmers in DC passing laws to outlaw toy guns

3 Likes

Yeah real guns made to look like toys. In another comment I mentioned that it puts a diff twist to it all.

1 Like

When my kids were younger, We always went with do not point a gun of any kind at anyone. In another comment I mentioned in the 60s of playing Army in the neighborhood. Those times we either talked or settled our differences with our knuckles and in a lot of cases walked away and even still being friends. That world no longer exists

3 Likes

We’ve already seen instances of children making gun-fingers and saying “BANG!” being suspended from school under “zero tolerance” rules.

And there’s a reason why this: :gun: is the only gun you’ll find on forum software or your phone emojis. :bomb:s and :dagger:s are, apparently still okay, however.

4 Likes

Yep, The world is still full of rocks and sticks. I think more focus needs to be put on the human aspect rather than the gun aspect. But are we already to late?

4 Likes

All the bloody, violent games out there and Commie Mommies and Guns Down are worried about an inanimate object instead of the human heart. Why isn’t the left try to ban these horrible games? because their only desire is to divide good, decent Americans.

5 Likes

Because those games raise their kids and keep them occupied while their parents are out trying to force their way into raising everyone else’s kids.

6 Likes

Back in the days as an NYPD Officer I was assigned to the Transit Division where we had to ride the subway trains. It was mid morning when I observed a young kid pointing a gun at people in the train car next to me. I saw him he did not see me. I used to take my hat off so at a distance they would not notice my shiny cap device. My heart was pumping and I was nervous so he didn’t notice me and I put my hat back on and drew my department issued 6 shot Ruger police service six. I said to him in a loud voice drop the gun and people in the same cab started hitting the floor when he dropped the gun it was a plastic toy. A facsimile of a Beretta 92F from a video game. It turns out the kid removed the orange tip the gun came with. Anyways God was with me that day. Imagine what I would’ve had to live with if I shot that kid. If he had decided to point that toy gun at me. I did not even have a chance to take cover. At the time I was about 25 years old a semi-rookie cop you can say. I thank God it worked out the way it did. After all that the kid was charged with truancy and his mother picked him up at the district and they went on there way and he got to keep his toy. I did not shoot that kid due to good situational awareness, I didn’t shoot him because he dropped the gun. I couldn’t tell whether it was a toy or not.

6 Likes

If a kid, or an adult idiot is pointing a fake/BB gun at somebody and gets shot-- too bad on him. However, I’m of the opinion that this new bread of police officer is too slow to evaluate and too quick to shoot. If the person is not doing anything to warrant a severe response (being shot) then the officers should evaluate a bit more.

1 Like

Good point… even as an extremely bullied kid from 3d grade to ninth, the bullies never wanted to kill me. I was once accosted by 4 black kids in KCMO (I was 14ish) the extremely huge kid said “yo! gimme a fiddy-cent piece”, I told him I had no money and said that was too bad and proceeded to wail on me… HIS 3 buddies pulled him off of me and said "you’re gonna kill him… and he stopped and I went on my way–as best I could-- today I’d be dead… whether school bullies or these black bullies.

1 Like

What do you mean by evaluate. The only way to evaluate is taking cover if you have it but that’s not always available. If you yell out a command like Police drop your weapon and he turns and points it at you that’s a bad situation especially on a train platform with hundreds of people waiting for a train ride.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about an obvious situation… read the post again.

2 Likes

I read it brother I’m just saying that sometimes you are not able to evaluate. You are right about some officers being quick to shoot but I also feel that no LEO wakes up and says who am I going to shoot today.

2 Likes

My Sheriff’s department just hired 4 new deputies, through my insider 2 of them have never fired a pistol before.
That worries me.

3 Likes