Governor

What is everyone’s opinion on the smith and Wesson governor revolver. I’ve been thinking of getting one and have been doing research. What do you guys think about it?

3 Likes

Oh boy.(lol)
It’s all subjective. Have you test driven one? What are you using it for?
Smith and Wesson make quality firearms, can’t go wrong. People I know that have them love them.
Good luck! :+1:

It looks like a mighty fine weapon, I have seen some reviews on YouTube. I believe you made a good choice.

2 Likes

I have yet to shoot one. I live in an apartment and recently purchased a 44 magnum which probably wasn’t the smartest idea after reading one of the USCCA article under self defense. It made me think like okay that’s a really powerful revolver and it’ll probably go through someone if god forbid I ever have to use self defense. I’ve been looking at multiple revolvers and the governor has really caught my eye. It’ll just be a home defense weapon most likely.

1 Like

Well…just my 2 cents, if you could, try to go to a range and shoot one, either rent one or gun people are very warm and helpful, ask someone if you could try it. You may not like it, or it may be not comfortable for you.
If you do like it, I would see if like the Taurus models(judge) it takes .410 shotgun shells? I think you would be better off with that, not penetrating a wall.(maybe, yet less likely)
Definitely, better then a .44 mag. In that setting.
Hope this helps, some! :+1::+1:
Good luck

2 Likes

Ah… Forgot,
You could also use .44 special rounds in the Magnum. Much less power.

1 Like

I own a Governor, it is a close quarters type of weapon. The versitlity of ammo choices is good, 45LC, 45ACP, and 410 2 1/2 shot shells.
First I would like to talk about the .410 ammo. The slugs are about 81 grain, accurate to about 30 feet. The .410 pellet type ammo is for very close range. This is due to the rifling in the barrel, the rifling tends to spead the pellets in a circular pattern, my opinion is any shot more than 7 yards is a waste of time.
The 45 ACP must be used with moon clips, this is due to the rim being about the same diameter as the cartridge. Moon clips make the reloading very fast because all six rounds are dropped at one time, this also allows the spent cartridges to be ejected as one unit. Moon clips are not expensive but you will need to buy or build a loader/deloader.
The 45 Long Colt (LC) is a very good round, albeit a low pressure round. Accurate out to 25 yards. Most LC are loaded with 230 grain or 250 grain bullets. Very effective in it range. It must be noted all of these rounds are considered low pressure meaning recoil is very mild. This is a defence type of weapon not a target weapon. In my opinion it would make a good weapon for people living in apartments or close to other houses. I think the fear of over pentatration could be put aside.
The Governor has a six round capacity while the Tauras has only five.

Larry

4 Likes

Here’s my .02 cents. Do you want to shoot .410? If not, I would get a RugerRedhawk 45/45. Chambered in .45 colt, uses Moon Clips for .45 acp, and you can get .45 Colt shotshells.

3 Likes