Good firearm in good hands - how to quickly stop the threat

This is not a happy story, but ended with expected result - threat was stopped… but the most important is HOW.

Smith & Wesson M&P with iron sights, 5 shots from 45 yards !
Kudos to Officer Danny Leon :clap:

Please watch the video with sound !

9 Likes

@Jerzees excellent post. Yes and it did end with the expected result, a dead bad person. Agree 100 percent with the actions of the officer. The firearm used by the officer did make a difference especially at the 45 yard distance. It would have been tougher to hit that target at that distance with a 9mm or even a .40 cal. I pray for those victims and their families.

10 Likes

Might have missed it but didn’t see a mention of the distance or the caliber used in the video or the article. Was it a .45? Not sure why a .45 would be better at longer ranges than a 9 or 40? I can hit torso sized targets at 50 yards more often than not with my g19. Wouldn’t even try for a head shot at that distance though and I’m not sure I could do it under stress. Hope to never find that out outside of a simunition class!

The response by the officer seemed to be as good as you could get. He was one cool customer!

9 Likes

My Springfield 1911 - .45 can do fine at 50 yards. Practice and training really works!

9 Likes

I just lucked into a P220. Haven’t tried it out to 50 yet but it does appear that it will turn out to be my most accurate pistol. But think that has more to do with the design and build quality than the caliber. Think the big 3 pistol calibers would all do equally well at ranges under 100 yards if fired from similar quality firearms.

3 Likes

Use a torso size target then go from 25 feet and take 10 shots. When you feel good about all ten shots move back 10 feet and repeat and actually see how far back you can shoot all ten rounds into the target without missing. The grouping will be a tell, tell sign of how you will be doing at a further distance.

7 Likes

Posted this somewhere else last week, I did just take it to the range in a break between thunder storms. Was mostly trying to get used to the whole DA/SA thing and make sure it was reliable. But did slow fire in SA one ten round mag offhand into the 4x4 inch “head” portion of my steel target at a little over 10 yards. All 10 rounds ended up in a single splotch of chipped paint that was pretty close to 2” in diameter. Some of that splotch was chipped paint so the group size was likely smaller. May have been beginners luck with a new gun but definitely the tightest group I have ever shot with a pistol. My 15 round groups at this distance with my G19 usually take up more of the 4x4 though I usually shoot it a lot quicker.

4 Likes

Keep up the good work!

5 Likes

Thanks! I’m trying! Hard to keep up with practice with work and family obligations these days. Not to mention forest closures due to fires and bad weather. I’m still reasonably quick and accurate once the gun is in my hands but really need to brush up on my draw and first shot on target skills. Used to be able to draw and get 2 shots on steel in under 1.5 seconds at 10 yards. Finally got around to getting my own shot timer a bit ago and realized I was struggling to get one shot on steel in under 2 seconds. Need to get that back up to speed and get back to working on getting off the X and shooting on the move.

2 Likes

I train with that in my front room with a SIRT laser.

2 Likes

Always good to practice the dynamic stuff in a safe environment until getting it down perfectly. My dry fire time has taken the biggest hit lately with my wife and son spending more time at home and me playing referee.

3 Likes

OH, I know how that is! This time is precious too! Enjoy it while you have it! Darn kids end up growing up into adults!

5 Likes

Just amazing shooting. Consider the officer just got rammed, and judging by the suspect’s location he was on the move. 45 yards on a stationary target is one thing, but 45 yards under these conditions is amazing. Equally amazing is that the officer took control of the situation, telling the other officers to park in front of the body and cutting his shirt off. I don’t use the term often, but officer Leon is a hero. Period.

7 Likes