Glove practice

Are any of you practicing with with nitrile gloves? I thought of that yesterday since we are wearing them when we go the the grocery store.

4 Likes

Good reminder @Derek.
Everyone who wears them should at least try once to draw and dry fire the firearm.

As we know, we must practice any time we use different clothes.

3 Likes

No, because I’m not wearing gloves when I go into the grocery store, however to @Jerzees 's point I do practice with the cold weather gloves that I regularly wear Oct - Feb.

5 Likes

I’m saving mine for when I need them–I have worn them when teaching–doing chamber checks bare handed is something I’d like to avoid, and picking up brass afterward bare handed isn’t something I prefer to do.

2 Likes

I started training with gloves 2 weeks ago. There is no way to get them off the hand quick, so better train with them. I’ll tell you that loss of tactile sense is a big challenge.

1 Like

How thick of gloves are you using that you loose the feeling when using your firearm?

1 Like

The regular medical glove type. Do you not feel the effect?

1 Like

The nitrile gloves are not an issue for me–after handgun hunting in WI for years, I’ve learned to make do with gloves as a necessity.

1 Like

I have the normal ones and some that are 7 mils thick in my truck

The only disadvantage of wearing medical / nitrate / latex gloves is that they may be sticky to garment and handgun grip.
Try it if you are carrying and wearing the gloves. Do not be surprised at the moment you have to draw the firearm :point_up:

1 Like

Many may disagree with me but here me out first.

Wearing gloves all the time when you are out is a BAD idea.

Gloves of this type are meant to be put on while performing a task and then taken off and disposed of. If you put them on before leaving the house and not take them off until you are back home, EVERY surface you touched while wearing the gloves is contaminated with whatever was on the surfaces you previously touched.

In other words IF you got to the store and did NOT sanitize your cart before using it anything on that cart where you touched it is now on the gloves. So you picked up some items and put them back. Not only have you contaminated what you picked up but you have also picked up any contamination someone else may have left on the item.

Now you go all the way to the self check out and you pull out your wallet (with your gloves on) and take out your plastic to pay for your purchase. Your wallet and your card are now contaminated. You go to your car and pick up the bags (which are now contaminated) and put them in your car. You open the door and drive home (after contaminating your door handle and steering wheel).

Now you get home and unlock your door (with contaminated keys) and set your bags on the table (yup now a contaminated table). You take your gloves off (your home and safe right) wash your hands and put your groceries away.

Tell me what have you gained in the way of stopping the spread of the contamination by wearing those gloves all that time?

You are better off using wipes and washing your hands

End of rant.

Edited for spelling errors

3 Likes

I only wear them inside the store as you cannot believe people w watched a woman handle every bag of salad on the shelf before she picked up the first one she looked at. It is because of people like that makes me cautious, as I have an 80:year old mother in law at home.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever worn surgical gloves and fired a weapon. I was an OR Technician for 13 years and wore them everyday during that time. That said gloves are “sticky” and stay where you put them when gripping things and they don’t like sharp edges that a lot of us induce into our firearms for a better “grip”. I use/used “Dry cleaning solvent” (Brake Cleaner is the same essentially) to totally de-grease my guns on the rare occasion that I deep clean one and wore gloves for that and gun actually got slippery in the gloves.

@DBrogue makes an excellent point and one to very seriously consider should you wish to use gloves on a regular basis. EVERYTHING you will touch with your gloves on will pick up and re deposit all manner of things to EVERYTHING you touch. Your regular old hands are better at getting rid of things than gloves because of the natural oils in your skin and the constant sloughing (sluffing) of skin cells not to mention the good old DIRT that your hands are covered in. Wash your hands if you go out and come back. Use hand sanitizer as often as you like.

IF YOU HAVE A CUT or a break in your skin then put a glove on that hand. Use the hand sanitizer on the glove and the other hand like normal. Open sores and wounds require a bit different approach in a contaminated environment.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes