Friday Favorite: Revolver

Let’s hear it, what are your favorite revolvers?

4 Likes

I only own one revolver, it was the first hand gun I purchased, it was used and I will never sell it.

.357 mag S&W with a 6 inch barrel, bought for the purpose of deer hunting in 1985.

Open sites and for me still the most accurate hand cannon I own for over 30 yards. I use to site it for 100 yards but my eyes are not what they use to be.

2 Likes

When I was younger I wasn’t big on revolvers… especially the magnums. Later, my father’s 50’s S&W .38 Spl target model helped me appreciate them. When I got older, I put in the time and practice to learn a higher hold, proper grips (often not factory) and trigger technique.

My first revolver purchase was a used 80’s blued 7.5" Redhawk in 44 magnum. With the above points learned, I had no problems shooting 100+ rounds per sitting with no discomfort (when I was younger I couldn’t stand more than 50 through rental guns and would have soarness afterwards). Additionally, the DA trigger was no longer a hindrance to accuracy. It’s fun to shoot!

Right now my favorite is my 66-8, with a 2.75" barrel, firing magnum rounds. Again, when I was younger, I fired S&W, Colt, and Ruger 357’s in larger, heavier models that I didn’t want to put more than 50 rounds through. Using proper grip, and proper grips, I can practice with 100+ magnum rounds with no discomfort. Similarly, with practice, my trigger finger is stronger, the trigger is broken in, and I don’t see the DA trigger as a hindrance to accuracy. This is often my winter carry. Yes, I enjoy shooting it, too!

Right now, the Redhawk is wearing Pachmayr Presentation grips, and the 66-8 is wearing Pachmayr Compac grips. Some day I hope to purchase a 5" 629, and something similar to the 90’s Detective Special… I haven’t handled the new Cobra yet.

3 Likes

While I normally carry a compact semi, I do love my revolvers. My favorite is my S&W 686 plus (7 rounds of .38 or .357) with a 3 inch barrel and crimson trace grips which I actually carry sometimes, especially woods hiking with my dog. I also have several Ruger LCRs in .38 and .22 lr which are really comfortable conceal carry options.

2 Likes

Ruger GP100 6 inch .357 mag, Smith and Wesson Model 29 pinned and recessed, and Colt Python. In that order. I have the first one, will get the second one of these days, and when I retire, the 3rd will be my reward to myself.

1 Like

My first handgun purchased was a Ruger GP100, 357 magnum, 6 inch barrel, blue. Purchased it 20 some odd years ago. Still own it. Still love it. Unfortunately, it is too big for EDC. However, I do have a shoulder holster and have taken it with me on occasion.
I also have a Ruger Single Six 22 LR left to me by my dad. While not my favorite revolver to shoot. It is my favorite for a different reason.

2 Likes

When it comes to revolvers I am a fan of all things Ruger. Had a .44 Mag Redhawk, one of the few guns I actually sold/traded ( I REALLY wanted that M1 Garand prize rifle). I have a GP100 (actually it’s on loan to my Aunt for the last several years) and a Blackhawk in 41 Magnum as a hunting pistol with a 0X Nikon optic on it. I have a Dan Wesson 4" which is nice and a WWII S&W Victory Model which fills a hole in my military collection as well as a Colt 1917 which serves the same purpose. If I had to buy a revolver next it would be a Colt Python, I dunno what it is about them they are just stone cold sexy.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Ruger LCR .38 spl +P. It is light with a great trigger which is extremely smooth.

2 Likes

Ruger Single Six. Really want a ‘real’ caliber Ruger SA revolver. I saw in person what Bobby Tyler does to Ruger SA guns as far as finish… Drooled a lot, will get one some day.

1 Like

I have other revolvers, but the only one I carry is my 3" stainless Chiappa Rhino. I like carrying it. I use moon clips so when I disarm I can keep everything in tight packages. BTW, it comes with several clips and more are readily available. Moon clips aren’t exactly super speed loaders, but they’re faster than ejecting the spent rounds and reloading loose ones. It’s easy to find and recover the spent rounds too.
The double action trigger is very easily controlled. In SA the trigger is whisper sensitive out if the box. SA cocking takes a little getting used to, since you’re not actually looking at the hammer but a cocking mechanism. When set, the “hammer” settles back down into what appears to be safe position. The internal mechanism is cocked though, and is indicated by a bright red post that appears and will only be noticed by the operator. Keep that bang switch hole clear, because that .357 rocket is ready to launch with an easy touch. In SA, I promise you have to try to flinch with this one.
Downside is “hammer” thumb pad is small, but this causes the operator to think if he’s/she’s used to traditional hammers. If you’re not used to the weapon, you’ll want to stay in DA until your honeymoon is over with this one. In an emergency situation you’ll want to fire DA as it is very easy to get a good even pull.
This firearm, AS IT IS WITH ALL OTHERS AS WELL, requires some time to train with.
I’ve ratchet jawed all this time because it’s a wonderful tool, but it should be appreciated and trained on. It’s not one you want to take out of the box and start sharing at the range with inexperienced friends.

3 Likes

My favorite revolver is my mod 65 Taurus 3 inch.This is the old style.It looks like a S&W66 with service sights.I carried this for 20 yrs.Still use it on the night stand.

Smith and Wesson 686 in stainless steel. Great shooting 38 special/357 magnum. Too heavy to carry except maybe open carry while hunting as a backup. My Glock 19 and spare magazine in an Axis Elite setup all together weigh about the same as the 686 alone.

When I was in the AF I had to qualify with a Smith & Wesson Model 15. Nothing fancy about it, but it wasn’t bad, either. I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on one again.

Smith and Wesson Model 3 American.

Does anybody use moon clips? Which do you like better, moon clips or speed clips?

I personally have never used moon clips but I am a very big fan of speed loaders for my .357.

Don

Moon clips are great if you have a means to carry them so they won’t get bent.

1 Like

Even if just the initial loading was with moon clips. It would aid in ejection if the rounds.

Yes moon clips do keep the loaded cartridges together when you disarm, and you don’t have a problem of some spent rounds slipping past the ejector. That’s easy to have happen if you don’t invert the handgun and slap the ejector rod. Speed loaders can be some quicker, but speed loaders aren’t quite as handy with the Rhino’s cylinder. I guess because of the shape, it doesn’t seem to me to have as much clearance when open. Of course with a speed loader you have a handful of loose ammo to drop and roll around when you disarm.
As far as carrying, my leather man made me a belt carrier with three clip pouches with magnetic closure.
It was originally for my 7 round speed loaders. Works good either way. Also, I don’t have to hunt in the dirt for brass like with my auto loaders. I don’t drop any; they stay in a neat package. I like them.
BTW in training to reload in a stressful situation, I find that the speed loaders can be a little difficult to get all the cartridges lined up to drop in. They have to be jiggled around some. And too sometimes the release can get a little cranky. The moon clips, once they line up, drop and are ready to go.
And moon clips are super cheap.

1 Like

My favorite Friday revolver s&w Model 15 combat Masterpiece in 38 cal.

1 Like