Friday Favorite: Advanced Drills

No matter how advanced your skills are, basic drills can still be helpful. More-advanced drills, though, can be a great challenge!

What are your favorite advanced drills?

3 Likes

Having the RSO put a few random snap caps in my pre-loaded magazines when I go to the range. If you do this… no peeking.

6 Likes

Playing cards on the targets. Sometimes showing faces and sometimes trying to split the card | sticking straight out of the target.

6 Likes

I liked the same as @TexasEskimo. Great drill to avoid recoil anticipation.
But last weekend, being on outside range, I found even better drill.

1. somebody loads your 3 mags with random live rounds and snap caps
  2. you start from 10 yards, draw from holster and shoot silhouette target walking toward it.
  3. you stop walking about 3 yards before the target and back up, still shooting in the same pace.

3 thing to learn:

• shooting while walking
  • emergency reloads
  • clearing malfunctions

A lot of fun and mistakes to correct…

6 Likes

Working from the holster, run and shoot, shooting from behind cover, shooting moving targets, tactical reloading, shooting from kneeling; laying; crouching positions. Weak hand shooting and one handed reloading.

4 Likes

Point shoot from the holster, weak hand shooting, and one handed reloads.

4 Likes

Just relocated from s. Fla to Oregon. In Florida the only place to shoot without the threat of gators is the range. Here in Oregon my nephews have been taking me up in the mountains, making all of these things now possible. Going tomorrow, Ixll let you know how it turns out. I have to admit, I have been slack in practicing point and weak hand shooting.

3 Likes

Moving, weak handed shooting, point and shoot…bring your heart rate up, huff and puff, then shoot. Have you had the fun or opportunity to get your concealed in Oregon as of yet? The mrs and I were going to get our OR concealed, but we only work as far into OR as Ontario. Keep us updated!

2 Likes

Brother 10 years ago maybe, but I’ll be 60 next month. All those things you mentioned are awesome though.

2 Likes

We got here April 2nd. DMV didn’t open until last week for licenses. I have a class scheduled for 2 July. I do not know the waiting time after that, but , the Marion County Sheriff is said to be a Shall Issue man.

3 Likes

The classes are for Oregon and Utah.

3 Likes