First time gun owner

Keep practicing and training. It never gets old. Keep your head up, and avoid trouble before it starts if you can.

3 Likes

You made a good decision to arm yourself and be your families protector, so carry on brother.

2 Likes

This, plus do your homework on local and state laws on the use and carry of your firearm.

Andrew Branca has an excellent book that breaks down the legal details in general, and by state (The Law of Self Defense).

One other tidbit, avoiding conflict requires you to first identify threats or potential issues. That means situational awareness. Look around when you exit a store or your car. Know your surroundings. I tell my wife every time she travels “Eyes up, head on a swivel.” Avoiding dangerous situations is your #1 defense.

6 Likes

I highly recommend investing in simulation training. This is an interactive experience where you can practice “real” events in a simulated environment. With the right system, you will experience how to give demands, what situations actually require use of lethal force, and you will even experience a small amount of adrenaline with how real some of the situations feel. Very useful to better understand the types of situations that you are signing up for, moving targets, and target acquisition under stress (not to mention keeping track of other events at the same time in the simulation).

While none of us ever want to use our firearms outside of the range, I recommend being prepared beyond the gun use. You have 2 fights: one for your life now, and one for life future. The gunfight is the first, but the courtroom is the second. Have a physical and financial plan in place so that family knows what to do while you are in the second fight.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother glad to have you here, God bless you.

2 Likes

First of all, welcome!

As far as advice. get some professional training whether that is live fire or on a simulator. And continue to practice. The skills you develop from taking a class are great, but they won’t become second nature without repetitive practice. Take the skills you learn and apply them at a range often.

4 Likes

You are going to continue to here this, and it always bares repeating.

1. ALWAYS Treat every firearm (including so called “EMPTY”) firearms as if they are loaded PERIOD.
    A. ALWAYS check every firearm handed to you & verify it is not loaded BEFORE you inspect it any further

2. ALWAYS Keep any weapon pointed in a safe direction
    A. Safe direction means pointed in a direction where, if it were to go off, no one would be injured and know whats beyond the target.

3. ALWAYS Keep your finger OFF the trigger until ready to shoot

4. ALWAYS keep the firearm unloaded until ready to use. (Yes when you carry concealed, your ready to use it)

5. NEVER point any gun, loaded or not, at anyone or anything you do not intend to shoot or willing to destroy

These rules can’t be over emphasized.
Welcome to the site. Stay safe.

5 Likes

You mentioned you attended a CCW class…a good start. You have received many great comments specifically practice. Youtube and various DVD are good but actual hands-on is best. Never stop learning, CCW is a way of life and it is more than owning and shooting a gun from a bench at a stationary target 3 yards away. Here is a link that would be worth looking at to supplement and complement your CCW class; https://www.frontsight.com/onlineccw/

3 Likes

Welcome to the family Gerald

2 Likes

Welcome to the family and congratulaions on your M&P shield hope you enjoy it for many years

3 Likes

Welcome! You’ll get plenty of advice, most of it helpful and friendly. I would encourage you to continue to take training classes and practice as often as you can. Find a range where you can practice drawing and firing your new sidearm.

3 Likes

So I just wanted to share with everyone my first accomplishments…

I cleaned my gun for the first time
I loaded it by myself and racked it all by myself.

Woo hoo!

10 Likes

I truly believe if you hang on with this family long enough you will learn a lot more than that.

3 Likes

For sure. Every time I log in and watch the videos I learn something and then asking questions and getting answers is always good.

I like the fact that I don’t get picked on for asking questions. I just want to learn what I can about owning one and mine specifically.

Thank you all for being so supportive.

6 Likes

If you’re not asking you’re not learning. Plus, practice = proficiency.

4 Likes

Amen Steve 36 words to live by every single day

3 Likes

@TheLittleNiffer

You gotta learn to walk before you can run. Congratulations. Just think of what a powerful voice you will be for new to handgun owners as you can share your first steps towards self suffecient protector.

2 Likes

Thank you! I am looking forward to learning and growing.

1 Like

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

I just bought my first firearm as well and chose the one you did. Worked with an excellent NRA certified trainer about a week ago. Will be applying for my CCW soon. I think the EZ is a great little handgun for people like me (petite woman, age 58) in fact my son recommended it. I’m focused on 2 things: situational awareness so I don’t end up in a situation where I have to use my firearm and practice, practice, practice. I’m a busy person but I will make sure I make time for the range. And dry fire is helpful too. I’m investing in books and videos for all kinds of training. I never thought I’d see what’s going on in this country, but I can’t put my head in the sand. I want to be prepared for any situation.

6 Likes