Firearms at work

Has an employer been successfully sued for failure to protect employees in an active shooter incident? When an employer forbids firearms on the premises that leaves everyone at risk.

8 Likes

This question has come up before and no confirmation that I can find. I checked “Lehto’s Law”
YT site, and no vids on your subject. :slightly_smiling_face:
P.S. Welcome back. :us:

3 Likes

This caught my interest. I know before I retired that of course my company offered Life Ins and such. I wonder if workmans comp/Life Ins along with Gov stuff would tie into such events. Probably not but an interesting thought.
I worked in Heavy equip repair,Spent alot of time traveling on the road my service truck. I carried my firearm with me. As did other Mechs. Dont ask dont tell is what we thought about it

5 Likes

I doubt it. It is, after all, the choice of the employee to take that job and not bring a gun. You can always choose a different job if you believe that job may literally kill you it’s probably not worth keeping eh

2 Likes

We just had a show us what you’re carrying after work in our small office

5 Likes

Point well taken.

2 Likes

Good thing I’m not a judge. My opinion is that anyplace that does not allow me to carry concealed in their establishment or displays “Gun Free Zone” signs automatically takes responsibility/ blame/ liability for my safety and, if I become a victim of a crime while on their premises, can and will be prosecuted for negligence.

3 Likes

That’s a nice theory, but, I’ll wager that lawsuit doesn’t get off the ground.

You can always choose to simply not go there. When talking about businesses…private property Rights are still a thing, too, anyway

1 Like

I am not sure this is the correct place to ask this question. One of the things that the Gun Control crowd intentionally leave out of their narrative is the number of lives saved annually by lawfully armed citizens. I know that the actual number is not able to be determined. However, a number of incidents can be reported. Where would I find some estimate of lives saved as a result of a armed citizenry?

3 Likes

@ConservPsych A rather long but in-depth article. :slightly_smiling_face:
P.S. Feel free to ask any question. :+1:

1 Like

As the article @BRUCE26 posted states the true number will never be known. But it is way higher than most anti self defense people would like to admit.

The Trace is an anti gun funded magazine and the “experts” they quote to try to disprove the pro self defense numbers have clear anti self defense agendas and their research is bought and paid for by the anti self defense big money backers.

But even the antis estimates come out to be fairly high at between 55k and 120k or so per year. I think the 2.5 million based on the old pro self defense research is also likely a significant overestimation. If you look at all the flaws, unavoidable and occasionally intentional, in the pro vs anti research I think a number in 500k range is a reasonable estimate. Maybe even higher than the 1m per year range if you count all the self defense situations where someone simply showed or stated they had a firearm to ward off an attack instead of having to actually draw it.

3 Likes

I honestly do not know the answer to your question and it would be difficult to find out with the thousands of courts where this could have been done. However, there is currently a case in Jefferson Circuit Court, Louisville, Kentucky, where a lawsuit has been filed against Kroger for the killing of a shopper at the store. The allegations include …
“ 14. On October 24, 2018, the Kroger Co. permitted customers to carry firearms inside of its
stores and elsewhere on the property. No effort was made to prevent Gregory Alan
Bush from bringing a loaded firearm into the Kroger store.
15. On October 24, 2018, the Kroger Co. had no policy in place to ensure that Gregory
Alan Bush was licensed to carry a firearm. Kroger Co. undertook no efforts to ensure
that those carrying firearms in its store did not use them to harm other customers.”

A copy of the Complaint is attached.

Just imagine, if every “person,” with person including real persons and any and all legal entities, had to “ ensure that those carrying firearms did not use them to harm other.”

We cannot secure schools but this would set an expectation that every property would need to have security equivalent to courts and many other government buildings.

Stallard v Kroger.PDF (259.9 KB)

2 Likes