Firearm in a glove compartment employee lot NC

If an individual were to carry a firearm in their glove box onto an employers parking lot, and the employer put up a no firearms sign on the entrance to the parking lot is that against state law? I pulled up the state HB DRH80020-LH-33 and it states that: A business, commercial enterprise, or employer shall not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing any firearm or ammunition when the person is otherwise in compliance with all other applicable laws and regulations and the firearm or ammunition is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on a motor vehicle.
Because the parking lot is public accessed and has no gates in front of it, is an individual able to have a firearm locked in their vehicle on the property?

3 Likes

This is only my view of the question, but that being said here is my opinion.
If you feel that the glove compartment is safe, locked and the contents are out of view, who is going to know what is in the car? As long as you don’t tell anyone of your secret then it will remain your secret.
I walked into my bank and forgot to remove my weapon. I went in took care of business and left, Nofault, No foul.

Larry

3 Likes

Well it certainly seems that would prevent the employer from taking action against you should they discover you have a firearm locked in your car. Even if they are aware of the law, their lawyers may be advising them to post the sign to help protect against civil lawsuits.

When I first went to work for Microsoft the company policy was that you couldn’t bring firearms into the buildings, but there was no prohibition on having them locked in your vehicle while parked on company property. At some point the policy changed to prohibit them being on company property, even if locked in your car. When we pursued why the policy change had been made it was because the lawyers decided the company’s liability of allowing them anywhere on the property was too high, For example, should an employee go out to their car, retrieve the firearm, and shoot someone, that they’d allowed the gun to be in the car would expose them to legal damages.

Now Microsoft has a big support center in Charlotte. I do not recall the “no firearms anywhere on our property” rule having an exception for NC (or anywhere else). But from what you posted, they couldn’t enforce that particular rule in NC (at least vis a vi motor vehicle’s in the company parking lot.

2 Likes

I totally agree with all of the above because I am in charge of protecting myself no one else is. By the way my employer does post that sign, but it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

I cannot give advice with respect to North Carolina law, however, my understanding is that NC does not have a law that prohibits employers from prohibiting firearms on their property, including firearms left in the vehicle.

2 Likes

I live in Michigan, so my perspective is based on Michigan law. No, you are not breaking a law. For instance, if you carry in a building posted as no weapons (other than gun free zones such as schools, hospitals, etc) and you are discovered, you can be asked to leave but you are not in violation of law, just a company policy. However, when you are talking about an employer, you are going up against a different set of rules, the company policy that you agreed to abide by when you accepted the job. So, no, you are not violating a law, but you are in violation of company policy and thus open yourself up to disciplinary action up to and including firing.

Granted, I have carried and left my gun in the truck at multiple jobs and have never gotten caught, but did so under the understanding that I was potentially in violation of company policy and if I was found out, I was prepared to accept the consequences, even if it got me fired. That is a personal choice you have to make.

1 Like

I worked at one place that had such a rule. It was a real problem as I had to go all of the way home to get a bag to go to the range after work. I started to just leave the bag locked in the trunk and stopped worrying about it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Luke10!! Thank you for doing your research and being a responsibly armed American.

Our reciprocity map has all sorts of legal details that can be of assistance. Here’s what it says about firearms in vehicles in NC:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nc-gun-laws/

That all being said, if it’s their policy and you violate their policy, they can fire you.

3 Likes

I don’t know about NC either, but my state had a law that basically says my car is my property, and my employer can’t search it or tell me what I’m allowed to have in it. So my company can have a policy against guns on their property, but my car is not their property.

2 Likes

There is no federal law banning CC in banks. Unless your state has a law against, or the property is marked as a “GFZ”, then it is legal. In Virginia, CC in a “GFZ” is only a trespassing charge if caught and refuse to leave.

3 Likes

I believe the answer is that NC House Bill DRH80020-LH-33 was never enacted into law.

2 Likes

I work in Charlotte NC and it is posted at all gated entrances that firearms are not allowed on the property. Now granted I work in the energy business so I do not know if that has anything to do with it or not.

2 Likes

I assume there’s already a topic for the different ways to secure a firearm in a vehicle?

(EDIT: sorry, I really meant this as a question. I wasn’t trying to kill the conversation.)

2 Likes

Luke, I work for a US Govt contractor on leased federal property. I understand your concerns.

We are considered under federal law and give up our second amendment rights. Unfortunately, we have no recourse at this time.

I have been carrying and called into work - only solution was to disarm while parking then hike onto US gov property

2 Likes

Note. I parked off-site.

2 Likes

You are correct. If there is no gate to the parking lot entrance then employer cannot prohibit having firearm/ammo in the vehicle.

1 Like