Finding the perfect CCW

I know everyone has a preference when it comes to this and I’m finding that even though I am pretty new to the world of guns I already have one I love to shoot at the range but would like to find ‘my love’ in a more concealable version. So my husband has a WWII service pistol in pristine condition, Browning HI Power 9mm. And it is amazing. I love the weight in my hand because it’s all steel, very little recoil and I’m not marksman but this gun does not seem to require perfect form from me to hit my targets. I love the stopping power of the 9mm and also because of a study the FBI did on the best defensive caliber and they decided 9mm. And I love the 1911 design, I know this gun inside and and out, literally, as I spend hours getting to know it and cleaning every nook and cranny. So easy to disassemble and operate!

So here’s my quest, I want to find a CCW that is preferably: All steel (I understand this adds weight but I’m ok with that because of how comfortably it sits in my hands), 9mm, 1911 design that is more compact, oh and obviously reliable! Also I wish it wouldn’t break the bank but I’ll still take recommendations and see if I can find them at gun shows.

Okay, I know that’s a lot but I appreciate any recommendations anyone can give!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Check out offerings by Kimber, they have several 1911 style 9mm handguns, some of which are a little more compact for concealing.

3 Likes

I’ve shot some Kimbers - they are a very sweet shooting gun… nice design features.
@Christina I’m a Glock Girl in general, so my recommendations aren’t going to be very much in line with what you’re looking for, but there are lots of other folks on here who have other preferences so I’m sure you’re going to get excellent options to look at. @Kelly @45IPAC @Sheepdog556 @james @KenM or @Dawn might have some ideas for you.
Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Take a look at the CZ Rami. Nice little gun based off the CZ-75B, which was kind of marketed to some as the “Hi-Power perfected”. I think, not 100% sure, it may actually be able to be carried cocked and locked or traditional double action /single action. Granted, I don’t believe it’s all steel like their full sized offerings, but I’d still give it a look.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-2075-rami-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

1 Like

For your criteria, look at Ruger’s line of 1911. The CMD and Officer Models would fit the bill. Also, don’t overlook the Rock Island offerings. Every review I’ve seen shows that they work. They don’t have the spit and polish of a Kimber, or Ruger, or Smith, but they go bang as reliably as the others. For even smaller, 1911 derivatives, the Sig 938. Its aluminum framed, but the barrel and slide are stainless.

1 Like

Thanks Zee!

1 Like

I know you mentioned weight isn’t a concern. But it’s a whole different ball game when carrying it vs just shooting it.

That being said. I’m gonna second @45IPAC and go with ruger have a good selection

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Christina! Thanks for jumping in and asking a question!

Check out the Sig 938 - it’s a 1911 style firearm.

One thing I’m going to ask because you stated you are pretty new to carrying, the 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked: one in the chamber, the hammer cocked and the safety on. Do you train to turn off the safety when you shoot?

6 Likes

:white_check_mark: 1911
:white_check_mark: 9mm
:white_check_mark: CCW
got it! :slight_smile:
Kimber micro series. SIG SAUER 938. Springfield EMP and 911. Colt Defender. Rock Island. Wilson Combat. And one of my favorite MFG’s, Dan Wesson :heart_eyes:
Im not sure if this is EXACTLY what you’re looking for but may be a good place to start!

4 Likes

It seems that no one has mentioned it, so I will throw in one more. The Springfield EMP is a 1911 style pistol that has be redementioned to fit the 9mm. As such, it is a bit smaller than a traditional 1911.

I strongly considered it when I was looking at the Browning 1911-380. I ultimately decided on the Browning; however, the EMP would be my first choice for a compact 1911 in 9mm.

2 Likes

I just saw your post in the other thread where you mentioned your Springfield and was wondering if you mentioned it here, @Hasaf. I’m so glad you did!

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions I will look into all of them! @Dawn I am new to carrying so thank you for the feedback and advice. I just feel it’s important for me to get comfortable carrying and exercising that right here in New Hampshire. Thank you again!

4 Likes

Good luck. This is a great community that @Dawn and USCCA has put together. This is a very welcoming group and honestly no question will bring a bunch of demeaning comments.

That being said the only way to get comfortable carrying a firearm everyday is to carry a firearm EVERYDAY.

4 Likes