Fifty caliber

Now that is a man’s gun!

2 Likes

50 Cal? Why?

4 Likes

Remember when Barrett first came out with his .50 some of the anti’s were worried that the gun would be used for shooting down airliners. :roll_eyes:
One cheesy show had them firing heat seeking projectiles that follow you. :rofl:

Now if you mean a S&W 500 in a revolver and leaver action rifle now that’s a good combo for Elk, Moose and Grizzles. :us:

5 Likes

Main question re: .50AE/.500SW is this. If I break my wrist while away from people, will I be able to shoot it one handed.

@Mike270 , how do you like this sir?

https://www.military.com/video/guns/rifles/guys-shoot-the-950-jdj/1409750262001

2 Likes

Guess I am just a 60year old 144 lb. teenager. lol :joy:

4 Likes

Muzzle loader? Absolutely. Handgun, meh. I prefer the ballistics of the 460 magnum, to the 500.

2 Likes

Girls can do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If shooting a S&W 500 just use a wrist brace that’s used when Saturday night Bowling!

3 Likes

I didnt think about a wrist brace. When I shot 44 mag, I felt enough discomfort, that I decided this is the handgun power limit for me.

4 Likes

I wear wrist braces every time I go to the range. Shooting a 9mm is still a focused exercise for me when shooting one handed with my off/left hand. I cannot imagine wanting to shoot a 50 cal handgun one handed off/left hand at this stage in my life.

Young me had a vise grip, but developed carpal tunnel issues and my great grip (pun intended) slipped away. The surgeon told me my grip would never be the same as my youth, but it would be better than what I had. I had surgery on both wrists and what he said was spot on.

3 Likes

If nothing else, shooting one in a gunfight will definitely provide the “shock & awe” part of it.

5 Likes

“A man has got to know his limitations!”

Harry Callahan
                     SFPD
4 Likes

Like the concept of .50 caliber, however my state and several others do not allow one to carry .50 caliber handguns for self defense (.45 is the largest). I do not know if Constitutional Carry laws ended that. Also, seeing videos of people shooting .50 cals, follow up shots appear difficult al best, even for the most robust. I have shot a .454 Casull, however after 6 shots I developed a really bad case of the flinches. I think .50 cals are best used for fun, defense against grizzlies or velociraptors or hunting.

3 Likes

Don’t let Crocodile Dundee hear you say that’s a gun…that’s not a gun…

That’s a gun.

2 Likes

Here is a .577. Once fired, a joyful voice sounds in the background. Must be the guy’s chiropractor or something.

4 Likes

4 Bore Stopping Rifle. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

And then you have. :scream: :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

50 Beowulf Range Day - Bing video

3 Likes

As a resident of Florida and owner of a S&W 500, I know the power is tempting, but practicality is not there. Any handgun robust enough to handle the cartridge is not going to be very concealable. Perhaps in Alaska where a jacket is standard wear pretty much year round and a shoulder rig or outside the waist band is practical, it might work. Also the advice of many on picking an EDC comes to mind. “Don’t choose a handgun that is so heavy that you won’t want to carry it at all times.” I know with my 500 I am relieved at the end of my shooting session when I can take my holster off and put it down. I choose to carry a sub compact 9mm in a IWB holster as primary, and a .380 in an ankle holster as back-up. I can comfortably carry them over a 10 hour day of normal activity, walking and working out and about in the city.

3 Likes

A bang stick (against shark) in 500sw is relevant in FL. Someone recently snapped a pic of a 20 ft Great White off of West Palm.

2 Likes