Big guns

What about a 500 smith and Wesson

2 Likes

Greetings Dylan. I don’t have a clue about S&W but I was up late and just wanted to Welcome You to the community. :+1:
Someone will be along shortly to answer your question. Maybe take a quick nap if you want. Lol.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Dylan12

All “Big Boy’s” lovers are probably sleeping right now.
Do you have one? :astonished:

sw_500

5 Likes

That’s alot of wasted powder coming out the end of that barrel!!! I bet you could put half a dozen 9mm down range with it.
:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

I think you should rent one and give us a range report! :smiley:

2 Likes

I think he might have singed his eyebrows. :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @dylan12

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

What about it? It’s the definition of a hand cannon. Lots of recoil. Good bear defense, if you can handle it. Expensive to feed it.

A 500 is the most powerful hand gun in the world. It’s a big, heavy, 5 shot revolver. If all out power is what your after, it can’t be beat.

4 Likes

Like @45IPAC said, what about it? Its actually not as bad as people think. Its a waste in a short barrel, so if you get one, get one in a longer barrel. Due to the design of the S&W X-frame, it is actually more comfortable to shoot than say a 454 Casull in a traditional Ruger Super Blackhawk-sized handgun. It is completely irresponsible to use for anything other than its intended purpose of hunting, and bear defense, which in a short barrel you are wasting a lot of the power and advantages of it. Simply put, if one were to use a 500 for say home defense, that meme about an intruder behind the fridge in your neighbor’s house is not that far off.

6 Likes

And if you want a more versatile gun, get the 460. Still powerful enough to put down any predator. Also, better ballistics for hunting. Last, many more ammo choices(460, 454, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield).

3 Likes

+1 on the .460. Its not the “most powerful handgun in the world” like the 500, but is a much better cartridge.

2 Likes

I guess it is time to put Clint’s movie quote to bed

“I know what you’re thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?”

7 Likes

Local gun shop got one in when they first came out. Brother-in-law law and I were in the store when this young pup comes in, He knew next to nothing about firearms but he just had to have that 500 S&W. Scott (shop owner) did his best to talk him out of it and convince him to start with something more manageable, but it just wouldn’t do but to get the 500. He did and left with it. Two weeks later back in the shop and there in the case was the 500 and a box of shells with 3 missing​:blush:. Sold it again a few weeks later, same thing only this time the new owner a tually fired a cylinder full. To my CERTAIN knowledge, that particular one went through 3 owners before it went through a single box of shells. :flushed:. I’m pretty sure you’ll never find one that’s been worn out​:smirk:

4 Likes

I love the 500 S&W! I was fortunate to shoot the 4" barrel with a normal load. Next time I shoot it, I’m going to be using the 700 grain thumpers ;D I can’t wait. It really, surprisingly, is comfortable and has a fairly smooth recoil impulse for its size. Highly recommend it, if you get the chance. As far as accuracy goes, it was pretty tough for me to keep a tight group at 10 yards. Then again, I’m 115lbs so

2 Likes

At least 500 ammo is still readily available in contrast to the more typical rounds😏. Bring your wallet though

3 Likes

What were your plans for the 500? If just to impress your range friends I think the point of the weapon is lost. I owned one for about a year put a few boxes of ammo through it, traded for an S&W 460 XVR, much better weapon in my opinion, great for hunting pigs. The power is very adequate, rounds are cheaper and you can run 45 Long Colt, 454 Casull.
500 S&W rounds are over $3.50 each.
If you get it, enjoy it.

1 Like

I shot one a few times it wasn’t bad just the kick it has

1 Like

What is the barrel length? With the 8 .38" barrel it would be hard to conceal. But, the guy down the road at about 100 yards is still within range. You will not be rapid firing with it either. Good gun for bear country. Considered the largest handgun in the world. 2600 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. 700 grain bullets would be something to shoot that is for sure.

3 Likes