Family Activities

Contrary to popular opinion, one cannot spend all your time training with firearms.
What family bonding activities do you enjoy with your family?
For the purpose of this thread, range days, handloading ammo and hunting trips shouldn’t count.
At the end of the trail, the important things we leave behind are the memories by which our loved ones will remember us, such as picnics interrupted by rain storms, the live theater performance that made you laugh so hard your sides hurt, going to a country fair, etc…
What kinds of memories will you leave them?

6 Likes

Murray Park with Grandparents

Support when they rodeo.

Birthday Parties.

Give up the Garage

Moon Lake

4 Likes

When our two kids were little, we took annual road trips.
We started with Disneyland and Universal Studios in back-to-back years.
Then, we introduced the kids to national and state parks starting with the Grand Canyon.
The highlight was 2017 in Yellowstone.
2019’s trip to Moab was the last we had as a family.
We didn’t go anywhere in 2020 due to Covid.
2021 was the first year my wife and I, now empty nesters, went on the road without the kids.

I love looking at pictures we took and how each one of us grew old over the years.

6 Likes

LOL. Nancy and I were just doing the same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

It is the simple things that has always been memorable. Camp fire at my mom’s house roasting hotdogs and playing music. My brother and son on the guitar and me on the banjo. My nephew plays the Mandalin, and we all sing songs together, usually church songs because that is how we roll! A good way to honor God and the family. My brother has passed on from cancer, so it is kind of hard to play anymore.

6 Likes

Sometimes we overlook the important things in life because we get wrapped up in other things. I serve the lord and that is important to me, protecting my congregation at church is important to me. Me and the wife love to try new restaurants and try to eat dinner out at least twice a week. We are very family oriented, we plan activities for the family to get together and we are the only ones with a pool. We enjoy BBQs and just being together and of course blasting away the oldies music. Our grandkids like hanging with us they say we are cool.

6 Likes

Looks nice. You guys are lucky! Our family is…divided. lol The younger ones can barely be bothered to answer a text and the older ones are getting…old.

5 Likes

It’s a challenge, especially when kids get older.
I always tried to include my teen’s friends in our family adventures.
Often times, those friends don’t have much in the ways of families of their own.

4 Likes

Sad, isn’t it?

We’re not rich but when kids were in their early 20’s, I asked them if they would like to have their boyfriend and girlfriend to join us on our next road trip and they did join us.
For my daughter’s bf, it was so memorable because it’s his first time to cross state lines.

3 Likes

Divided here as well, Brad. Wife’s family is local, but we stopped getting together when her dad passed 25 years ago. My sister’s are 1500-3000 miles away, my son’s 28th birthday is today, but he is once again maintaining radio silence.
I spent a lot of time with my son when he was home. We sailed a lot, whitewater canoed 100’s of trips, mountain biked, hiked, camped, fished, dived, concerts, car races, flying lessons etc…
Glad the wife and I get along, and that I spent a bunch of time with my son when he was growing up.
My family is possibly getting together when my mom passed. We’re supposed to be spreading her and my dad’s ashes in a large body of water, as they sailed for decades and loved the ocean.

4 Likes

I’m going to Disney World!

Okay it’s really more past tense at the moment, but three times in the last five years

3 Likes

One challenge is being an empty nester. You’re still responsible for making memories for your spouse and grand children, but the limitations imposed by advancing age kind of make things more difficult.

2 Likes

Mrs. and I mostly responsible for this weekend summer project. The girls were up a few and we all had a great time working and evening relaxing.

Was allot of work, but the girls came up when they could. I know you said no hunting trips, but this was preparing for future trips for the kids even after I’m gone. Our any season get away.
Family project and good times.

8 Likes