Enhanced security for glass doors

Glass doors are not secure. The glass in a half glass door can be broken and the perpetrator can reach in and unlock the door. They can be made more secure by adding a plastic film to the inside surface. An eight or 12 mil plastic film can be used to deter or at least delay the perpetrator long enough for you to prepare yourself to engage him.
If the film is added to the windows, it provides an additional degree of safety in areas that have frequent tornadoes. The film can stop, or at lease, slow down objects that are blown by the wind from causing damage the interior of a home.
The film can be applied professionally or you can do it yourself. Be sure to follow the directions carefully. Kits are available on line or at big box stores.

11 Likes

Welcome

I agree, I think it’s hilarious personally how many people think they are being safety conscious but half their front and back doors are glass panes you can break in a tenth of a second and reach through to open the doors from the inside.

Day 1 when we moved into each of our last two houses we replaced those doors, and of course locks too, and additional door strengthening measures.

A properly applied film, all the way to the edges of the glass (may have to remove parts of the door/trim) is a good middle ground I suppose. Haven’t done that myself I’ve just gotten rid of the glass entirely.

have you installed any film yourself? I haven’t personally talked to anyone that has to see exactly how easy it is

Polymers are also an option. A bit tougher to maintain but they are effective.

2 Likes

I had a professional install it so I could see how it was done. It was an expensive lesson but, the plastic fits perfectly and it looks like nothing is there. I did not realize how much pressure he had to apply to the squeegee to remove all of the air pockets.
Even though no bubbles could be seen when they finished, some small bubbles appeared a day later. He said that was normal and would go away. They did go away after a few days.
He had a roll of plastic that fed into a cutting device that made perfect 90 degree cuts.
We have some large windows that need to be done. He has a 6 foot roll of plastic that can fit those windows. My checking account is already feeling the pain. The kits we can buy do not have plastic that large. I am going to try installing the film on 3 doors when I feel brave enough.

If you have South facing windows, they have a mirror film that reflects the IR and will hold the glass together if it is broken. I did install some thin reflective film on a window owned by our Church and it made a big difference in the heat load in that room.

Jim Hightower

1 Like

Did you receive a lengthy reply from me? I was has problem with the email and I don’t know if it went out.

Thank you

Jim Hightower

1 Like

Yes! About the pro install and giving a go at it yourself on some doors coming up, etc.

Thank you

Did you get my reply? There was a problem with the email and I was not sure if it went out.

Thank you

Jim Hightower

1 Like

They are a bit pricey, but double pane Lo-E hurricane rated doors and windows are very difficult to break thru. My doors and windows are registered with the local Fire Department so they know to bring specialized equipment to get into my house (in case of fire) because they aren’t getting in without it. I have been told this equipment is very loud!

3 Likes