Elon Musk buys Twitter, sparking concern from Democrats

Aren’t you glad it’s not the other way around?
Imagine Bill Gates taking over to make cars more innovative…

4 Likes

Oh, no. Portal usually comes with access logs, which tend to leak to Project Veritas.

1 Like
5 Likes

IIRC, Musk said that, ideally, both conservatives and liberals would be equally angered. We’ll see how this plays out.

From Bloomberg:

Twitter new owner Elon Musk promised civil rights leaders he will restore content moderation tools that had been blocked for some staff by the end of the week, according to three leaders who met with Musk on Monday.

Musk made the commitment during a Zoom meeting with the heads of some of the country’s leading racial justice organizations, including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Color of Change, and the Anti-Defamation League.

1 Like

I joked earlier about Twitter being a dumpster fire. I was referring to the public platform and the awful mess the users (real and fake) make of it. But I’m reading more and more stories about the dumpster fire of a company it is, too. There are all kinds of stories being shared about Twitter workers being forced to work very long days, weekends, even forced to stay overnight in the office. It sounds like they have a lot of internal culture problems they need to address before they can fix their platform.

2 Likes

If he’s actually trying to fix it, good on him. I don’t really care if it hurts a political group or not. Wouldn’t be getting all worked up about it if they would do the right things for we the people in the first place. not to sound cold, but I don’t see why that’s a problem with them having to work more. I’ve worked 84 plus hours a week for years. At one company I had a blanket and pillow to sleep on the floor in the conference room between calls…plant people do it all the time. A degree doesn’t make one immune from long hours and hard work. If they were doing such a good job in the first place, would the company be a dumpster fire, and require that much work and time to fix it?

2 Likes

You’re correct, there’s nothing wrong with long hours from time to time. It is expected. A couple of quick things about the tech industry, though.

1. You don’t have to earn a degree to get a decent job. In fact, some giants, such as Google, have studied the issue and said that there is no correlation between a college education and a successful career. That might be less true of upper management folks, who have to get business degrees so they learn now to mistreat people.
  2. There continues to be a shortage of qualified tech people. These jobs have portable skills and can often-times be done from any location. So if you mistreat your people and force them to sleep in the office, they’ll just go elsewhere. The people you keep are often not the cream of the crop; they’re those who are too afraid to leave. Your best talent won’t tolerate it.

What I’ve been reading makes me believe that there’s been a culture problem at Twitter, where politics, social justice, and mismanagement have forced their best people to leave. Unless Musk can correct the root problem, it’ll be a death spiral.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to insinuate that one required a degree to get a good job. I’m a firm believer that education is important, but there’s a multitude of opportunities that don’t require a degree that pay just as well, if not better than some requiring a degree. I mean to say that fairly often, I meet young people that are under the impression that the fact that they have a degree entitles them to an easy, stress free life. Business degrees don’t teach people to mistreat employees… people who aren’t meant to lead mistreat employees, and those people learn that skill on their own without assistance. A leader knows how valuable the people he supervises are, treats them with respect, and always takes into account that he/she doesn’t know everything. That said, they also hold employees responsible for their actions. If I and or my coworkers have slacked off at work, I would hope that my supervisor hold us all accountable, and requires us all to work overtime, because we are a team and it’s no one’s fault but ours that we have to work ot. If they are actually being kept from leaving, I would enjoy reading about the supervisors being charged for false imprisonment… Forcing someone to stay at work would be illegal, and judging from Elon’s success as a business man, I doubt he’s stupid… I have no doubt he will do whatever he can to fix it. Regardless of how much money he has, the price he paid for Twitter is a lot to throw away.

2 Likes

Too many managers, not enough leaders.

4 Likes

I tell everyone that I hire “if I do something and you want to learn it and are willing to put in the time, ask. The more tools you have in your toolbox, so to speak, the more you can make. The more you can do proficiently, the better I look. If I teach you everything I know, and one day you take my job, I did my job.” I won’t ask them to do anything I’m not willing to do, and I’m happy to help them if they need help. I think if their management were doing right by them, it wouldn’t have been the mess it is today. I also think that if you are a source of “news” it should be the truth. Not some skewed bs that fuels one person’s agenda. Integrity made like a movie and is gone with the wind…

3 Likes

Reportedly 50% layoff by 9am PST Friday.

AFAIC, “worked at Twitter” on a resume is bad rep.

4 Likes

10 Likes

1,000 :+1:

3 Likes

4 Likes

I would give her my 2 cents, but she is not worth that much.

2 Likes

Current amount commited $0.00, but momentum is slowing.

2 Likes

Elon Musk comments on AI. Would we really trust any government to control AI. :thinking:

2 Likes

Benny Johnson

Benny Johnson4 hours ago

The Left:

8 Likes

At least they’re making Tesla trade at a silly low level for the short term. Roll the $ into Spacex…then roll the rest into Neuralink. You’ll be talking Pelosi money! lol

1 Like