Edc knife for self-defense

That’s an odd take?

For me a knife is a tool. As mentioned above, lots of uses for it. If I don’t need it that day it just sits in my pocket, it doesn’t cost me anything to carry it, but if I need it I have it.

My EDC knife is usually a Leatherman Skeletool, which is a multitool but it is very lightweight (comparable to any folding knife) and just has the bare minimum knife, pliers, screwdriver. On days where I have an extended EDC like a backpack, where I have a full multitool in, then I will carry just a regular folding knife.

My knife is not something I would consider as a primary defensive tool. However, in a pinch it’s better than nothing.

8 Likes

I carry a small but very sharp pocket knife. Although trained in Kenjutsu (sword/knife fighting) that was years ago when I was much younger. I dont deceive myself, I am older with back and shoulder issues and I am in no position to get into a knife fight. I carry my knife for opening packages, a possible medical need (which will require a small knife, not a large one), cutting a seat belt (safety reasons), etc. No bubba about it, strictly utility.

8 Likes

Mine is a tool that I use multiple times a day.

8 Likes

@BRUCE26 This ain’t a knife either.
I can promise if it were 10mm size, I’d never be able to find it.
Old mechanic joke…joke for old mechanics?

11 Likes

A knife is a tool. Then again so is a gun. I have had knife training and it is not a go to tool for self-defense. Knowing the points of the body that a knife works best is key. Mainly any main arteries are the points of focus with knives. Carrying a knife every day is smart. You never know when you have to open a package of batteries or scissors. A good knife is always nice to have on you. If I was going back packing I would be carrying my Bowie knife. Excellent for survival use. By the way, my girlfriend teases me if I do not have a knife on me! She says it is like going out without my wallet.

8 Likes

The original posted question is kind of funny. I’d bet that many of us see that the way the question is worded reveal a little about the person raising the question. I always carry a knife - and I always use it. Even the people who used to make fun of me for carrying a knife now ask me to borrow it when they need to cut something - because they don’t carry one.
It is simply a tool that is there when I need it. I’ve had some training for the use of a knife to stop an attacker. It may give me a minute to reach my firearm when needed. Still, it is just a tool that it available to me. I know where it is, and I know how to reach it. Case closed.

10 Likes

@Stephen22 I always have a knife on me for many reasons, but I never hand my knife to anyone.
People would ask my wife if she thought I had a knife. She would reply, “Does he have his pants on?”
Then she would tell them not to bother asking to borrow it.
In our line of work, someone unprepared would always ask to borrow a tool. My buddy and I always warned them if they have to borrow twice, they need to buy their own tool.
The few times I have allowed someone to use a knife, it was improperly used and came back with some degree of damage.
A rider who doesn’t own a horse may not worry about riding yours to death.
Don’t ask to borrow my weapons, family members, or animals.
This sounds sort of tough, but I have been in the position of needing a tool (even a pen or pencil) and not being able to finish my required task because the borrower will not relinquish it until HE is finished.
After a few times being told “no,” people stop asking to borrow and we can continue a good relationship.
I have actually heard gasps when some new guy asks to borrow a tool. If you take the job, invest in the tools. I one wants to be prepared, go prepared.
That being said, I carry one side arm with, one high quality knife, but several lights.
There is a higher probability of having a serious need for bright, long lasting, reliable backup lighting than for weapons. I carry three of various sizes that can be easily carried. All the knife joking aside, I would rather (though I won’t) leave home without a knife than without a good light. I have Olights and Streamlight. Tractor Supply carries a very affordable tactical flashlight with weapon mount and remote switch included. It takes an 18650 battery. I have never mounted one on a weapon, but I do like them for pocket carry. I actually have a “cheap” Chinese knock off tac light (no mounts) that carries an 18650 battery (charging port on the battery). The light has a reliable, easy to use lock out function that makes pocket carry safe.
My son’s Olight with the magnetic tailpiece charging attracted a metal object to the magnetic end causing the light to turn on turbo in his pocket catching his pants on fire.
I know I rattled on here, but I felt it all needed saying. Though much of the first half was partly in humor, it was also ALL very true.
In some eyes I may be a minimalist not carrying a Ranger size load out, but I know how to get any tools I may need in an emergency. BUT don’t forget to have first aid (or better) supplies nearby and handy.
Someone is always needing good help.

6 Likes

Knife has utility as safety tool - break glass, cut seat belt, etc. I can see how a knife may be useful against an animal attack.
Knife vs knife combat is likely to put you in the grave, and juries seem to view it more as criminal act, rather than self defense.
As far as manliness, we could discuss EDC flashlights (with reference to Freud), but this is a family forum and I will shut up.

3 Likes

The most “manly” part about my leatherman “Surge” are the pliers on it. I can run up to a bad guy to put the pinch on his nose all while squealing out a loud “Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck” Then a few quick 2 fingered pokes in the eye. This is also how my 2 brothers (one fat, and one with hair sticking out sideways) would do it too,

4 Likes

Fixed it. :rofl:

Edit: Meant for “fix” to be past tense. Dang fingers.

1 Like

Hattori Hanzo, outside right leg!

For real, Gerber MK I boot knife. They call them vintage now.
I can’t imagine what they would call me, “ancient”?

7 Likes

OK, a pocket knife is more than a tool.
It is a badge of being a gentleman, much like carrying a sword in earlier times.
Although unseen in your pocket, it can be presented on a moments notice to
come to the aid of milady, coworkers or small children who find themselves in need
when a sharp blade is required for some reason such as opening a package, cutting string, severing an errant thread or cutting a sandwich or piece of fruit (or candy) to share.

My point being (see what I did there?) carrying a blade permits you to come to the aide of others.
A good and noble thing, right?

5 Likes

I carry a folder as well as a fixed blade…either a clinch pick from Shivworks or a Greg Thompson by Benchmade. I train with knives, sticks, firearms, and empty hand. Warrior Poet Society has a series of interviews done by Clint Emerson which include practitioners who incorporate knives in their systems. Mike Janich of Martial Blades Concepts has a number of you tube videos and is featured in several editions of Concealed Carry Magazine. I do enjoy his design of the Yojimbo II by Spyderco. You will not observe either of these knives on my person unless I draw them…ditto with my firearm. I am 73 years of age, a military and police veteran, have sired a lovely offspring and don’t need to feel manly. A blade is merely another tool available to the practitioner whose weapon is the human brain. Stay safe…and so it goes…

7 Likes

Did your son get the rubber cover for his O’light that they offered when the “pants on fire” issue came about? They sent me 2 covers and a free O’ bulb which is a great bedside light.

1 Like

@Keystonecop Emerson is quite the authority. I carry one of his designs.

2 Likes

@mattm I don’t believe he was offered a cover. I haven’t seen those. I will look for sure.
My son got away from the incident virtually unharmed. The jeans on the other hand were dead at the scene. Big burn wound. I don’t know how it worked out that he wasn’t burned badly, but I’m just happy he was relatively unharmed.
That particular light had come from one of his knife group members so he wasn’t worried about replacement either.
Thanks for the rubber cap tip.

1 Like

I just looked for the cover on the O’light site, and it’s coming up as “expired goods.” Might be worth a phone call, their service is pretty good. The issue was with the “warrior mini.”

1 Like

Ahhh much better. Thank you @Jerzees :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah @mattm I believe it was the warrior mini. I have a larger version, but it came with a pretty decent holster, so that’s how I use it.
My son showed me the lockout procedure as soon as I received the package, but it’s still too easily defeated for me to want to pocket carry that design.
In case any are interested, these products are shipped from China…something I didn’t realize at first. They take forever to deliver; even before the present port situation.

1 Like

I bought a bunch of stuff from them, after reading about their Georgia base…only to find out that, yeah, I got mislead. I have been happy with the lights however, 3 pistol, 1 rifle, the mini and the Marauder,14k lumen beast…their marketing can be real addictive, and I bought my lights when my ammo addiction got cured by the new pricing…got a bunch of knives around then as well, if only to prove my manhood and satiate my addictive traits :smile:. All the knives since covid have been made in Maine.
https://www.northpointaxe.com/

1 Like