DOJ Files Lawsuits Against NJ and County in Washington Over Dangerous Sanctuary Policies

I think that it is about time for this to start happening. And I’m glad that US AG is doing this. and I also hope that he also starts going after ALL states, cities, and towns that these SANCTUARY POLICIES. Because as the article states they are breaking the law and these illegal criminal aliens are hurting citizens.

4 Likes

While a good idea in theory. Take it to it’s next logical conclusion for when a Democratic President is in. You can bet they will take aim at all the Second Amendment Sanctuary Cities, Counties and States.

4 Likes

@Zavier_D … no doubt. The data supports illegal alien sanctuaries being directly tied to higher crimes, and some very vicious specific crimes… and 2A sanctuaries will not see the same outcome. Maybe by the time things swing D in the white house there will be more specific data to show that. That’s what I hope for anyway.

2 Likes

I agree on both counts! The question is where the courts will go on these. I expect that they will rule that federal law is the supreme law of the land under the supremacy clause.

The bad news is that the Federal government cannot compel the states to enforce federal laws.

The Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States’ officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program. Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898, 935 (1997)

In order to get past the sanctuary city arguments the court is going to have to distinguish Prince.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY–It seems to me that the ACA clearly flew in the face of Printz. How can that be allowed to stand (beyond the individual mandate being struck down)?

3 Likes

While I believed the ACA was unconstitutional for several reasons, I do not believe it violated Printz because the state were not required to do anything.
That is one where I believe our Chief Justice drooped the ball.

2 Likes

Ah–thank you for the clarification.

3 Likes