Missouri Now Refuses to Enforce Certain Federal Gun Laws

6 Likes

The Biden administration thinks aspects of this new Missouri law cannot stand. His Justice Department has already informed Missouri that "HB 85 threatens to immediately disrupt the working relationship between federal and state law enforcement officers, many of whom work shoulder-to-shoulder on various joint task forces, for which Missouri receives ample federal grants and other technical assistance"and “raises significant concerns under the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution.” [emphasis added]

Isn’t this exactly what sanctuary cities were/are getting away with, and what the Dems are 100% in favor of??? That is, local and/or state law enforcement being barred from cooperating with federal ICE agents and other federal law enforcement?

Do they think we’ve already forgotten this?

5 Likes

Every one of them both Red & Blue wears the emperor’s new clothing

5 Likes

Kudos to MO. Governor Mike Parson. You are the man. :+1::+1:

6 Likes

My first impression is that, as mentioned above, these laws seem to fall perfectly in line with local “sanctuary” laws regarding immigration. They also echo the sentiments of the growing number of states who have legalized/de-criminalized the production, possession, transport, sale, and use, etc, etc, of marijuana, which the federal government still consider to be illegal. (Referring to recreational use, not medicinal.)

Apparently, some States have decided that certain portions of federal law do not properly reflect the values, beliefs, and will of its residents. These States have gone further than a mere tacit understanding to ignore the feds. They have made a legislated declaration of intent to nullify certain federal laws which do not serve the People of their State (said service being the only proper job of our form of government).

When it comes to federal immigration and drug laws there is a lot of room for debate and argument as to the Constitutional basis for or against them. When it comes to gun laws there is far less room, likely no room at all, for debate. The 2nd Amendment, and the Founder’s reasoning behind it, is clear and explicit, and the rights described in it were thought important enough to merit inclusion as a keystone within the list of rights guaranteed to the People and untouchable by the government. In my estimation, these “2A Sanctuary States” are simply re-affirming their respect for, and obedience to, the Constitution of the United States.

As an end note (and I understand that I may be out of my depth here) it is my impression that the modifications made to the Constitution which have stood the test of time, reason, and the courts, have been intended to expand the rights of the People, not eliminate them. That being said, I don’t necessarily agree with every expansion of rights that has come down the pike, but that’s why we have the right to vote and do our part to guide the ship of state.

5 Likes

Excellent point!

During the Trump administration, the Dems were often out there ranting “this is unprecedented!” But now some things are precedented. And they’re the precedent-setters.

But when has abject hypocrisy ever stopped a politician from doing anything?

5 Likes

I love this law. The interesting thing is that state and municipal law enforcement generally have NO AUTHORITY to enforce federal laws and the federal government cannot force the state to enforce or cooperate in the enforcement of federal laws. The Tenth Amendment prohibits the federal government from “commandeering” state or local governments or officials by requiring them to carry out federal programs.
On the other hand, the government can influence a government by providing or withholding grants based upon cooperation by and with agencies.
This is particularly true with federal/local task forces. When task forces are formed, the local units are deputized as federal agents to enforce federal law and feds are deputized to enforce state law. There is usually a financial benefit for the local agency for these task forces.

6 Likes

MikeBKY nails it here.

For a time I was a member of a couple such task forces in the counter-narcotics realm (meth labs). Federal budget supplements helped pay the considerable overtime costs as well as haz-mat cleanup costs (which are OBSCENE).

Drug laws are like bank robbery laws–there are both State laws and Federal laws that sanction these courses of conduct. As a rule, most of our drug lab cases got managed at the State level. The U.S. Attorney can and does pick and choose cases to file Federally, often due to some aggravating factor (public costs, volume of production, gross sales, injuries to personnel).

I believe the people of our nation have begun to see the twisted and skewed perception of reality that our government at all levels subscribes to. This inflicted viewpoint does not comport well with people outside the bubble in which our governing class suspends itself. Metric tools on SAE bolts and nuts are a very poor fit.

6 Likes

Happy anniversary brother @MikeBKY and thank you for your input to this community.

3 Likes

And the flipside - states like Texas will withhold/withdraw contracts from anti 2A businesses - so it works both ways and Washington is oblivious.

5 Likes

Thank you @Johnnyq60! It took me a few minutes to figure out why I had a cake day today.

4 Likes

@MikeBKY , I was trying to find out also before I put my foot in my mouth. Happy Anniversary brother

4 Likes

You are quite welcome brother.

2 Likes