Does everyone test their holster?

I wonder if folks run around with their EDC holster? Jump up and down do flips. To make sure your firearm doesn’t fail out. I do jumping jacks, pushups- I snow shovel, garden with my EDC even roll on the ground to see what happens. I put my holster to the test-- I Even toss it with an unloaded firearm to know it will stay in the holster. Who is with me on testing out EDC holsters?

6 Likes

Simple standard test seems to be, put the (empty chamber) gun into the holster, hold it upside down and shake modestly or above, should stay in place.

I crawled around under my truck changing the exhaust today (for the second time) with my EDC on, does that count?

BTW this is part of why I generally only use full kydex holsters now. They hold the gun more consistently and reliably, without relying on belt tension (which can itself be inconsistent)

7 Likes

I do like to test mine out to be sure that my firearm is not going to fall out, but at the same time be sure that the retention is not so tight that it will pull the holster off my pants when wearing pants that I do not have a belt on with.

For example, I wear sweatpants pretty often and use Ulti-clips on my holster. I need to know that the gun will be the only thing coming up if I have to pull my firearm in an emergency, but I don’t want it to fall out if I go for a run.

3 Likes

I don’t see how people can carry in sweatpants and no belt. How does the gun not just flop around wherever it wants? I also don’t see how the gun could be secure in the holster while also not coming along for the draw.

So I end up wearing pants/shorts with belt loops and a belt more often than I would if guns weren’t a thing

2 Likes

That counts!!! I do all my daily tasks with my EDC. I wake up EDC on bedtime EDC in safe.

3 Likes

If you hold a level 1 holster upside down, should it hold the gun?

1 Like

I am replying with a link-

Level 1 “Passive Retention”: Level 1 holsters have passive tension from an adjustable detent screw that provides tension on the trigger guard. No mechanisms need to be disengaged and only a regular draw stroke is required.

1 Like

This is what I do. I check retention regularly. Last thing I want is my gun popping out during my day and then me try to quickly reholster and snag a shirt tail. Won’t be able to have anymore kids after that.

6 Likes

IMO, any holster being relied on to hold your gun for carry/EDC purposes should retain the gun when held upside down (including with the weight of a loaded mag), and even when shaken at least a little bit.

This rule is primarily for belt holsters though, it may not be applicable in the case of certain belly bands/smartcarry/pocket holsters, depending.

4 Likes

When I make a holster for someone, I ask them about retention. If they want it to stay in upside down while shaken, I make it tight and then wet-mold it. If they want it looser with a retention strap, I make that happen. My policy is “the customer is always right,” and I stand behind what I make 100%. I think that’s the right thing to do, especially for a “hobbiest” who is now in “small business mode,” preparing for retirement and full-time leather work!

3 Likes

I do make it a habit of testing my holster every once in a while. I use Kydex holsters and I want to make sure I get that secure click at all times. I believe that with time the retention can loosen itself and you may have to make the proper adjustment. I also do the upside down holster check as part of my test.

4 Likes

That’s a fine test (or marketing gimmick) for Kydex, and maybe “hard” leather when new. But an awful lot of hybrid and leather holsters will get their retention from the curve of the the holster on a belt around the waist. The “upside down” test, when the holster is not on a proper belt strapped to a proper person, has little or no relevance. IMHO.

Shake the shooter upside down — if the gun comes out, then you have a problem.

I “test” my holster by doing every day stuff — paying special attention if I’m doing something unusual. If I have to “yank” the gun out, the holster is secure enough. If I don’t have to “yank” it out of the holster, it’s not secure enough. If the holster comes with, it’s too secure. :wink:

4 Likes

IWB Alien Kydex Holster has good retention, and OWB is a Kydex BlackHawk Serpa Auto-Lock which locks at the trigger guard.

2 Likes

I use sweats with a non-elastic waist tie to limit the waistband stretch. I use a Remora (sticky) holster with a spring clip to hang a .380 at about a pound, and a pocket mag carrier. They both stay put, and so do my pants.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t wear sweats or this rig around town, down to the dojo, or tumbling with the kids — just stuff around the yard or out in the garage when nobody’s around. It’s a pretty stable arrangement, but I don’t wear flip-flops to town, either.

4 Likes

Have you tested it to stay in place on your belt? Have you tested it when it is wet?

2 Likes

Also use Red Locktite for better retention.

2 Likes

lol :joy:

2 Likes

all the above–

2 Likes

The only test I’m doing is taking holster with handgun upside down and give it few shakes.
I do not see any needs to do more.

2 Likes

If my holster passes the official FBI national “flip dance” holster retention test, I’m good!

9 Likes