Does Complying During a Robbery Work?

What are your chances of being injured in a violent crime? This is a question I recently asked the Rangemaster Brain Trust. The answer came from none other than John Hearne. His response is summarized below.

"The best source I’ve found is Kleck’s “Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America. As a baseline, complying with the demands of a robber carried with it the risk of injury of 25% (24.7 to be exact). Resistance, lumping together all forms, is more risky than just complying. Any form of resistance carries with it an injury rate of 52%. However, resistance with a firearm carried with it the risk of injury of 17%. Kleck believes that the use of a firearm early in an encounter carries with it a risk of injury of 6%”

What this boils down to is you have at least a 25% chance of being injured if you comply. You are 4 time less likely to be injured if you have your gun on you and are prepared to respond!

If you are within driving distance of Central Mississippi and you want to know Who Wins, Who Loses & Why, I highly encourage you to sign up for John’s upcoming lecture at Boondocks Firearms Training Academy on October 9th

Click the link below to learn more!

6 Likes

John over at Active Self Protection (youtube channel) has a bunch of videos on the topic. The reality is that compliance “usually” works. John’s advice is “comply fully or resist fully”. I think his comments on the topic pretty closely resemble those of Kleck/Hearne posted above.

“usually” doesn’t mean “always” and you sometimes end up with outcomes like this one (posted just yesterday), where the person complied and got shot anyway. Bled out on the street clutching the leash of his dog as police showed up “minutes later”.

News article one and two from the video description.

John Correia is part of the Rangemaster Braintrust (RM BT) and deferred back to Kleck indicating that is while Kleck’s data is dated, there probably wasn’t a whole lot of change since then. Another interesting tangent we discussed was that another RM BT spend a lot of time overseas doing security surveys. The Embassy in that country often had different suggestions. In some countries it was comply because the robbery was a “business transactions” others said to go down fighting because “almost all interaction with criminals ended in brutal violence”. So there are differences based on geographical locations, and my hunch that may carry over to some areas of the U.S. as well.

2 Likes

It didn’t work for this guy… Graphic!!!