Does .410 work/work better in home defense?

Does .410 make the cut in home defense with the proper ammo selection? Is it even better than others if you need to consider what’s on the other side of the wall?image

3 Likes

I used to own a Taurus Judge. And had 3 410 shells followed by 2 45 colt. It was a great brush/home gun.

Hornady makes a 410 defense round

2 Likes

I am going to play devils advocate here. I do not know if I would trust a pump .410 for home defense. I imagine that a .410 slug will do damage and take a bad guy out of the fight, but I am unsure of how effective .410 00 buck is at a range of up to 10 to 15 yards. I have not seen any FBI statistics of how it performs in gelatin. I am sure somebody has a video, I just have not looked for it.

I also had a pump .410 once and it was rather unreliable as far as chambering a new shell and ejecting the old hull.

This is all my personal preference, but as an American citizen, you can buy the firearm that meets your needs for home defense!

I’ve seen those videos too. But he’s out a lot further than most home defensive situations. I believe 40 yards to be exact. And I’m not a huge fan of the Taurus Judge for accurate shots, that’s why I don’t have one. But I’m still testing the .410 Honcho out to see what kind of penetration it has at 5-25 feet.

I’m still testing my .410 Honcho out for penetration and shot size. I will hopefully have definitive results with ammo shortly.

1 Like

It would be cool to see how much penetration .410 buckshot gets.

I’ve only seen .410 shot from a pistol for any gelatin or pork rib test. I’d imagine that from a longer barrel it would be better. My grandfather and great grandfather used to hunt and kill deer with it until it became illegal to do so.

1 Like

Yeah, one of my great uncles used to kill deer with a .410 as well, but with slugs.

1 Like

New offering from Remington.

2 Likes

I keep a Mossberg 500 410 with an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Patterns 3" 9 pellet #4 buck 6" at 7 yards. 2.5" 4 pellet 000 buck is about 3" at 7 yards. #4 buck has less penetration than 00 or 000 but it is sufficient to take out a bad guy. It will hold 5 3" shells or 6 2.5" shells. Mine is very reliable as long as you don’t short stroke which is a problem with all pumps. It is considerably lighter and quieter than my 12. Less recoil means faster follow up shots.

1 Like