.410 Defense Ammo

Does anybody have anything to say about this? The three top defensive loads seem to be those from Winchester, Hornady, and Federal - in that order. I personally have no use for a shotgun except for defense, and the devastating power it can produce at defensive ranges.

2 Likes

I got a 20, but want a 410 too.

3 Likes

.410 slugs, just like shooting a .45. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Looked up Winchester slugs. 410 3” load shows 1/4 oz slug at 1800 FPS.
7000 grains per pound.
437.5 grains per ounce
109.375 grains is 1/4 ounce.

1800 FPS x 1800 FPS times 109.375 grains is 354,375,000.
Divided by the constant of 450,436 gives us 786.7 ft/lbs energy.

So it’s a pretty stout 45!

4 Likes

Thanks for the ft./lbs. workout!

2 Likes

.410 Defense Ammo seems like an oxymoron to me. Just saying…

But if anything, stick with a slug.

1 Like

They make 410 buckshot as wellut there are only 3-4 balls per shell.

1 Like

And I’m certainly not going to the storre to get it in anything but a Hummer.

1 Like

There’s a market segment devoted to it. The Taurus Judge kicked it off. It’s more powerful than 357 and 357 has a proven reputation for being a highly effective fight stopper…

In my opinion the slug load is probably one of the weaker 410 defensive loads.
5 pellets of 00 buckshot in 3” hulls is nothing to laugh at!

2 Likes

Remington offers a little 2 1/2” defense load with 4 pellets of 000 buckshot at 1225 FPS.
70 grains each for a total load of 280 grains. This calculates to 932 ft/lbs of energy. This is between 44 Special and 44 Magnum territory!

1 Like

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. From what I’ve seen the .410 type revolvers leave a lot to be desired. And I would never advocate shooting any kind of shotshell out of a rifled barrel unless you only shoot at point-blank range. For me, I’ll still with my .357, thank you.

1 Like

Over twice the typical .45 cal round from a 5" barrel.

2 Likes

I am a huge fan of pistol caliber carbines. This topic has got me thinking about pairing up a .410 shotgun with a Taurus Judge. Anyone know if you can put 45lc through a .410 shotgun?

2 Likes

Unless it has a rifled barrel I would think the accuracy out of a shotgun would be pretty poor even if it works. Think I’d rather look for a .357. .45 or 9mm combo.

2 Likes

The rim is thicker on 45 colt than 410 so if the action is tight it might not close properly.

Next is the issue of the bullet diameter being larger than the bore and choke of the 410 shotgun although soft lead bullets will probably swage down just fine.

Lastly a shotgun is a smooth bore and accuracy will suffer at distances of feet rather than yards.

2 Likes

That whole diameter thing makes it a non-starter. Darn.

Got the .357 and 9mm combos covered. Will either add .45ACP or another magnum combo at some point.

2 Likes

410 revolver and shotgun companion still seems like a nice paring even if the 410 options are all that’s interchangeable. 45 Colt is just a bonus for the revolver.

And if you got the Smith and Wesson governor you have six shots instead of five and it comes with moon clips to use 45 acp!

1 Like