Do you try to save them

Yeah, it is 750ml now, unless you are in the UK, where it is 70 cl. :grimacing:

4 Likes

One point not made, though some have touched on points close to it, is that the perp may be down, but that does not mean that he/she cannot still hurt you. I would be concerned that if you needed to use lethal force, that the perp could still pose a threat. I believe the best action is, as others stated, get to safety, if possible, and call 911, and stay alert.

7 Likes

Absolutely call 911 tell them you need an ambulance. But I would not try to do anything further cause unfortunately you can be held responsible for anything you try to do at that point.

6 Likes

Something else that crossed my mind. If you were the one shot, but you were still conscious, what would your mental state be if the person who just shot you was now kneeling over you about to put his hands on you? You may cause more panic and harm if you try to aid the person you just shot. :thinking:

7 Likes

@BigdodgedemoN I agree with both your points. I just shot this guy and I am still in fear for my life because I dunno who ow where his friends are. If he is groaning, flopping and flailing around Iā€™m not getting near him because he is still in close proximity to the thing that caused me to shoot him. If he goes down and goes possum and I go to render aid he has me at a distinct advantage as heā€™s already on the ground and it will turn into a wrestling match with one or more weapons involved.

If he doesnā€™t survive to get medical treatment from the Ambulance, he wasnā€™t going to make it anyway. His odd go up to 50/50 if he makes it to the ED. They get better every hour he is in the hospital. Just look at that guy from Kenosha, shot 9 times at close range with a 9mm. He was in bed talking to the Judge the other day.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

The illustration says it all dave17

3 Likes

If Iā€™ve had to shoot to save myself I call 911 and maintain my SA. Iā€™m not getting that close.

Some one else shoots someone else, I will try once the scene is secure to administer my considerable medical training to save them.

I have dozens of saves over the course of my life. But if I am the one who has had to put the unsub I am kicking his weapon away, and maintaining a vigilant overwatch while I get 911 rolling and then the USCCA.

YMMV

5 Likes

Safety first. This attacker just tried to cause you death or serious bodily harm, there is no way Iā€™m approaching unless Iā€™m really sure itā€™s safe. The police will handcuff you before rendering aid for the same reason.

When you call 911 make sure to also request EMTs

4 Likes

At the risk of sounding cold, insensitive and totally over thinking the situation, lets add another consideration to the equationā€¦ something I have had hammered into my head by employers, first responders, friends, acquaintancesā€¦

BODY FLUIDS

Does the nature of the wound have any potential to expose you ( or you them? ) to body fluids? Do you have the ability and resources ( gloves, cpr shield, eye protection, mask, disinfectant, barrier ) to protect both of you in the process of providing aide?

Yes, I have broken the rule many times. And a couple of times I was really called out on the carpet for it. You have to do what your conscious says is right, I understand that. But you have to consider all the risks you assume.

7 Likes

If a Police officer had told me that I should not render help to someone I just had to stop the threat in fear of my life then I would have to say I would not render help to said person. Two have told me so far Kevin being one of them.

4 Likes

Yeh Todd30, it is a sad yet logical thing. I was dinged in an advanced class in the ā€œAdjudicatorā€ what they called the shoot house, after calling 911 then attempting to assist. Law Enforcement have special protections and responsibilities than we civilians do not. I was told to think ā€œis the person you wanted to help worth going to prison for yourself for trying to help?ā€

I think most of us by our nature want to help. But two things you should consider for the reasoning ( then I will give an exception ). I dont post this as advice or an excuse for not following your conscious, just things to think about.

Government. Theoretically we are a Nation of Laws, but we see those laws abused and bent every day. The law should be, but is not consistentā€¦ sort of like tax code. Too many subtle exceptions make it possible (not ok) to cheat. And there are those who will use these idiosyncrasies to take advantage of someone.

Second is Society and the individual. Many people are ā€œsickā€ due to poor life choices. Drug/needle abuse, STDs, sometimes genetics and others unfortunate exposure (for example hepatitis from swimming in a hot spring). Sometimes the individual is to blame sometimes not, just saying.

The result is a litigious society, people who want something for nothing who will target you. Second is via bodily fluid transfer you risk acquiring the other persons condition. Not mean, just fact.

My exception is family or close friend who you know either well enough to know they harbor no threat to you or you care enough about someone you willingly and consciously accept the risk.

Life is full of choices and being the ā€œgoodā€ person does not protect you from ā€œbadā€ persons or things. In the end you have to live with your conscious? It can be a very difficult choice, especially in a stressful situation.

5 Likes

Very good question. Very timely. Notice how police are getting grilled as soon as they donā€™t render aid after a shooting. However, they usually have other police around or are able to handcuff the actor and then render aid. In a civilian situation, you call 911, of course, and ask for an ambulance. If you can render aid, and know what you are doing, yes you try and help. Now, that does come with peril depending upon the level of consciousness of the actor and the actual situation.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

2 Likes

I wonder how many of us that say we would not help could actually watch another person lay on your floor and die or listen to them beg for help wile laying there bleeding out.

3 Likes

That is a valid question, and one that we do also need to ponder. That is what makes this site so good, all the vantage points that we view situations from making us think. I believe calling 911 and requesting police and an ambulance is helping. That person made the choice that put him/her into that predicament, forcing you to protect yourself. Are you willing to risk your life further to help someone that required you to use lethal force? If the person is alive enough to be asking for help, then there is a good chance that person is still a threat to you.

4 Likes

I feel like this question needs to be answered by you and you alone for the situation youā€™re in. No one here will ever live your life or deal with the baggage that comes from you actually having to shoot someone. Whether you are fine and everything is peachy or you have reoccurring nightmares, regret and emotional issues, or you have to deal with the financial burden of paying the legal costs TO protect yourself and fighting to stay out of jail, all these are things you alone have to consider and decide for yourself.

Things to consider are, what happens if you render aid and the person pulls a knife and stabs you? What happens if that aid youā€™re offering is used to argue you regretted taking lethal action and they decide to call YOUR actions involuntary manslaughter instead of self defense? What happens if you render aid not realizing they have some disease you might catch. Heck, thereā€™s a thousand things to consider and all of them put you at risk by helpingā€¦but what if you canā€™t live with yourself without tryingā€¦then none of it matters.

6 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you. From Michigan

2 Likes

Hopefully, ambulance arrives as quickly as bad actor tried to kill me! Thatā€™s as warm and fuzzy as Iā€™ll get with someone trying to harm my family or me. If heā€™d called first Iā€™d offer him a beer, not a 230 grain shot! Pun intended!

5 Likes

Had to do it in triage situations. Heartbreaking and soul searing is how I would describe it.

But if itā€™s been so bad I actually had to shoot to stop the threat, I am remaining vigilant. Will tell 911 to roll police, fire, and ambulance but other than to move his weapon by kicking it far enough away. I am staying away and watching.

5 Likes