Do you store your magazines loaded?

I always have. Most I have seen say they have “constant tension” springs… so to me, that means loaded or unloaded, the spring dosent know the difference. Then, just found this Brownells video:

4 Likes

The only magazines I have unloaded are the ones in my range bag.

8 Likes

I always keep a full combat load ready for multiple platforms.

8 Likes

I’ll have to echo the replies already posted. Loaded and ready. I have some Wilson mags loaded continuously for years. The only time they are unloaded it when it’s time to put in fresh rounds. I do put the old rounds downrange just to confirm all is well.

3 Likes

Spring fatigue is an ever constant and present issue. I’ve had some, very few that did wear out from constant tension, but for the most part I’ve never left mags unloaded because of that issue, the ones that did wear out were off brand mags. I always keep a sufficient number loaded in case of an event happening. However I do rotate my EDCs to minimize it.

I keep mags loaded. Everything I’ve read says spring compression is not an issue of keeping mags loaded, but simply loading and unloading.

That being said, sometimes it makes me feel better to let the mag sit empty for awhile :joy:.

I keep most of my handgun mags loaded. I have a handful of AR mags I haven’t taken out of the bag. My concern with the AR mags is their potential to be taken off the market due to poor legislation. So I want to keep some fresh unused ones.

Not a big ordeal though. I know Clint Smith keeps at least a hundred loaded mags under his bed at home :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:.

4 Likes

I did have a concern about fully loaded mags for a long period of time. Since I learned the physics of springs all mags are fully loaded and have been for many years. The only thing I have done differently is reduced the number of rounds in my rifle mags. I’ve gone from thirty rounds to 28, just to reduce the pressure, of course if we go into battle I will fill them back to thirty!

2 Likes

I have some Glock mags that have been loaded for 10+ years. I empty them periodically, then reload. No issue ever seen.

2 Likes

1 in the weapon, 1 in mag pouch, 1 empty. I rotate every Saturday. The weapon mag gets emptied, goes on reserve. The mag pouch goes in the weapon, the empty gets loaded and goes in the mag pouch.

Firearms that are in the ready all sit with mags loaded as do extras with sd ammo. Ar mags loaded to 28 & resting. Only concern is ar mags spreading, hasn’t happened to me however still watching

1 Like

For those of you keeping pistol mags loaded, Are the all loaded with defensive rounds or do you keep a minimum number of defensive then have the rest with ball ammo?

1 Like

All sd rds. ( except ar mags) However with brand new mags I load them up with fmj & let them sit for a couple of days. Just an old habit

2 Likes

@PDA3 Handgun mags loaded with Critical Defense, Monolithic or Sig V-Crown. Shotgun loaded with mix of 00 Buck and Slugs. AR-15 mags loaded with SS-109, 62 gr SP or 68 gr BTHP. 7.62 x 51 mags loaded with 147 gr FMJ, 150 gr SP and 162 gr A-Max. Variety is the spice of life.

1 Like

Agree. I download high capacity mags by a couple rounds. My concern is not the spring, more the mag lips.

1 Like

Well said sir!!:+1:t3:

Yeah concerned some about spreading but ar mags loaded to 28 because I like the easy in on the ar

1 Like

Started to doubt my magazine beliefs after reading a lucky gunner article. BUT this video brought me back to reality.

1 Like

Just finished a long term experiment earlier this summer. Had 2 Glock mags and 2 cheap KCI mags fully loaded and stored for 10 years. As well as another 2 and 2 stored loaded and unused for 5 years. Took all 8 to the range and they all worked flawlessly. Have since reloaded and used them several times without a hitch.

5 Likes

@MikeBKY Same here! ALL of my magazines are loaded and staged with my firearms. What the purpose of having these firearms if you have to load them if you have an emergency.

2 Likes

Every magazine in every caliber for every serviceable Weapon is loaded, most are even in condition one a appropriately staged!

1 Like