Do you proudly keep a gun just because it's your Right?

I agree about being tools.
However consider that there are a lot of guns out there that were either inherited, so they have emotional value, or no longer have a purpose for which they were originally obtained, yet are still retained by their owners.
—a nifty little “tackle box” revolver belonging to a fisherman who can no longer get out there comes to my mind.
—a widow’s husband’s 1911 that flew with him over the hump in WW2
—a Remington cap and ball revolver belonging to an ancestor during the Civil War
—a Winchester carbine that accompanied another ancestor to the Klondike.
—a pocket pistol that was kept as a great grandmother’s last defense during dark time in a tyrannical country far away.
No longer tools, really, but paper weights? Paper weights generally don’t blow holes in things, and don’t live in sock drawers or locking filing cabinets, nor do paperweights get oiled (albeit annually at best) nor do paperweights have a box of ammunition available somewhere just in case.
I guess they could be considered paper weights with potential in Thomistic parlance
Another thought—is there much difference in keeping a handgun “just because it’s a (2A) right”
and writing a letter to the editor “just because it’s a (1A) right?”

2 Likes

I would say a letter to the editor that may influence others’ thoughts and actions is far more effective an action than purchasing a tool you never intend to use and sticking it somewhere to collect dust. Now if you write the letter and just stick it under your paper weight instead of sharing the words than it is an even more useless statement. And as I said the fact that your friend is actually willing to get at least some basic training means that paperweight may serve an actual purpose some day should he need it. So even though I think his reasoning doesn’t make a lot of sense the result is a big positive.

As to your other examples. Those are all tools that may no longer get much if any use but are also mementos with valuable sentimental value. And if you maintain them occasional they still have the potential of being used for their original purpose again, either by the owner or someone else down the road.

1 Like

My friend told me that he joined the NRA because he wants to be on record standing with the 2A .
He just doesn’t want to carry and shooting isn’t one of his interests outside of safe gun handling.
He spends a great deal of his time working in government buildings so that would limit the opportunity even if it did.

I still applaud his thinking.

2 Likes

I just don’t see how his gun purchase makes any significant difference in protecting 2A rights? There are more than enough people purchasing multiple firearms to keep the firearm industry in business. The anti gun folks don’t care how many gun owners there are. Even if 95% of people owned guns they’d still want to take them all away. I think he would have had more impact in protecting the 2A by donating all the money he just invested to a pro 2A legal fund.

I would also argue that being a none gun owner willing to stand up to protect the rights of others who choose to own guns actually gave his words and actions far more potential impact in influencing other none gun owners. Now he is just another one of the millions of firearm owners the anti self defense crowd is trying to disarm.

If he really doesn’t have any interest in shooting and thinking about self defense but in the back of his mind has the thought that having a firearm and some minimum training might someday protect himself and his family, then I would wholeheartedly applaud his decision to purchase a very useful tool - just in case the unthinkable happens. I kind of wonder if this is actually the case but he just does not want to admit it to himself or others for some reason? Otherwise why get all the other gear and some training? If he was truly buying it only to somehow promote 2A rights why not just lock it up in a safe and throw away the key or better yet donate it along with some money for training to a single mom or someone else who really needs a self defense tool but can’t afford one?

Regardless of the motivation, I think it’s great that he now has the tool and is planning on getting some training. I doubt his purchase will protect the 2A in any way but it will increase his safety and security in these uncertain times.

2 Likes

There are times I worry our self defense rights have already been too infringed. Even in the most legal to carry states and counties, on the books are so many places we are not allowed to carry, and many signs posted prohibiting.

It sometimes feels like the last safe bastion or sanctuary to carry in, is in one’s own home, car, walking down a public street, some woodlands.

I thank that man for “keeping because it’s his right”. For his sake, and ours.

1 Like

I would like to say that my only reason is due to my passionate support of 2A but my reason is because of the times we live in when you or a family member could be shot while pumping gas, walking through a parking lot, watching TV, getting in a fender bender, accidentally cutting someone off etc…
I will protect my family from ANY threat with my life if needed. We live in a crazy world & every year it gets worse. We still do what we like to do & have fun doing it but we also are in condition yellow. We have to be. Sad but true. We pray that the Lord watch over us & keep us from evil. I feel the holy spirit telling me to arm myself against evil.

5 Likes

Who knows what the future holds. I’ve been know to buy tools I didn’t need just because. Then the day came when the bearings went out on my car. To my surprise the tool I thought I may never need saved the day and several hundred dollars. I believe that the same could someday be the case for your friend. Today it’s a just because. Tomorrow it may save his and his family’s life. And yes, learn all you can do if that day does come, you’ll know how the tools work and you’ll be proficient in their use.

6 Likes

I live in Illinois, which recently banned all sales of AR-15 style weapons. When this law was first proposed I was totally against it. The more I read about this proposal the angrier I became. I don’t have to list all the reasons the ban is not reasonable, we all know the why of it. I had a few spare bucks and was planning to buy a 4" .357 revolver (I just like revolvers). After weighing my options I decided to purchase a AR-15 with optics and ammunition. It cost me considerably more than the revolver would have cost and the rifle is sitting on my work bench (I cleaned it). I’ve had it one year but have yet to fire it. I will, eventually take it to the range and even take a course, or two, in using it. I am proud to own this weapon. If they make a law saying we have to turn it in, I have a couple of nephews, out of state, who would be happy to take care of it for me. I am glad to join with my brother and sister gun owners in protesting the banning of weapons. I enjoy shooting and think that all guns are works of art. Keep the faith, fight the ban, K.

5 Likes

I remember reading an internet guide for new Americans (immigrants), which included in the list “buy a gun, you’re an American, now!” It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it still made me laugh. I would give that advice to any new citizens. Even if they don’t want to carry a firearm, they should enjoy the freedoms they didn’t have in their previous nation.

And once they own a firearm, of course, I’ll have to take them to the range. Then they’ll be hooked.

1 Like

The 2nd Amendment, nor the rest of the constitution does “give” anybody any rights to anything.
The rights guaranteed by the Constitution are God given.

It does place serious restrictions on government.

3 Likes

I don’t know, sometimes I talk just because I can. :us:

2 Likes

Biden says there is no there, there! Well, I can smell it from here.

3 Likes

Hey Robert1246, I don’t mean to nit-pick here, but the 2nd Amendment doesn’t actually ‘allow’ us anything. We have an inherently natural, God-given right to be prepared to defend ourselves, our loved ones and our country with any means necessary and available. The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution affirms this natural right specifically to include firearms and it disallows the government to infringe upon this right. (At least that’s my interpretation.)

I’m probably playing with semantics here but a right that is allowed is not a right, it’s a privilege - even though most law makers tend to view our rights as privileges they’ve so graciously permitted. Sadly, we have allowed them to do so with impunity.

Again, I’m not trying to tick you off, I’m just sharing my views, which may or may not agree with anyone else’s understanding. I’m sure someone here can find where I could have used better words and or made better points and I’m OK with that.

6 Likes

Yeah you mean to nit- pick but it is ok.( I agree with your interpretation.) I have some better words (at least in my mind’s eye). Guns are for saving lives. Some use them for killing for some reason (but the reason is a topic for another day). That puts a fear in people that they don’t know how to control. It’s like when you go into a skid in your car. The panic causes one to make the wrong decisions. When people panic about guns it causes them to think guns are for killing. With all the guns that exist people mistakenly think to get rid of the guns. Even though it is our God given right God is testing us to see what we will do about the people with the fear. Thanks

That’s cool, Robert1246. At the end of the day, I believe all members of USCCA are on the same page. We are all law-abiding and responsible gun owners who believe in and exercise our rights. God bless, and be safe.

4 Likes

Wrong! The 2A does NOT give us ANY RIGHTS!!! Damn!!! Educate yourself!!

I don’t understand why people get wrapped around the axle about this, but if it’s that important, then I’ll note that @Robert1246 didn’t say the 2nd Amendment “gives” us any rights. He said it “allows” the right, which I find to be correct, because if we didn’t have the 2nd Amendment, that right would have been taken away a long, long time ago. (What good is a “right” if you can’t exercise it?)

He also referred to it 2 posts above as a “God given right.”

But if this is the kind of stuff we’re going to scream at each other about, then we might as well give up and let the anti-2A folks win, because we’re doing their job for them.

1 Like

I didn’t have much of a formal education. I am not proud of that. I am more into staying healthy and trying to keep peace.:peace_symbol: I appreciate everyone’s comments it show they care. I don’t take it personal. Thanks for sticking up for me @Ouade5.

1 Like

I own my firearms or modern slingshots because I don’t have fangs or long claws, everyone has a god given right to protect themselves from todays lunacy…the founders knew this day would come when they tried to take your 2a rights don’t let them. Shame on them sending money and weapons to other countries while trying to disarm our populous.

8 Likes

And in addition shame on them for letting whoever into our country. We need to have protection devices more now than ever.

3 Likes