Do you have enough ammo?

None of my usual sources have any I’m willing to buy.

5 Likes

For that exact reason I live on a slab :rofl: :crazy_face: :sunglasses:

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Really I find that there is a difference between want (like) and need. I want pallets full of every caliber and gauge. I need about 500 of intermediate caliber rifle and pistol/250-500 large rifle and shotgun and 1000 of 22lr. I also feel if you are basing this on need and only keeping that amount on hand you should have the materials to reload at least that much. A very small percentage of my ammo is personal defense, the rest is fmj and other standard hollow points. I figure if stuff isn’t hitting the fan what I have on hand for pd will handle the situation. If stuff is hitting the fan then I would be using the same sort of ammo the military uses anyway, it works for them it should work for me.

3 Likes

I have roughly 12K of 22lr because that’s what we shoot the most. 2-3K in 9mm range ammo and less than 500 in 380. I keep under 250 of self defense ammo and now with that were closer to 1K.
I also have 1K of 45 reloads. I haven’t counted my 223 recently. I should have my daughter do an inventory and put it in a spreadsheet.
Now, depending on how the apocalypse plays out, I have another 7500 or 22lr on order for our junior program and if we hit the steel shoots, half won’t last long.
Honestly, my 22 scopes are dialed in for 50ft so if I ran out of other which would take a lot, I could land all 10 very quickly… so, I feel good about what I have. My wife no longer thinks I have to much ammo!!!

4 Likes

Works for me.

3 Likes

It’s my personal opinion that there are many valid reasons to be well stocked on ammo. However, getting into a big shootout isn’t one of them. Most people live in structures that are really not defensible against a armed mob, or even a small armed group, and certainty not by a single person. If you can see to shoot them they can see to shoot you. Always have a plan to get out and know what you can reasonably take with you.

6 Likes

I’ve always viewed this as a “Mag” situation, I have accumulated 10 mags per weapon and felt that it’s what’s best for my approach. Having unlimited Rds is great, having unlimited mags loaded & available at a moments notice.

6 Likes

That’s like asking me do I have enough parts and fuel for my hot rod. You can go through both at an impressive rate. Like many parts, bullets can be “remanufactured”, but not on the spot right when you need more. I like to have plenty of range ammo for enjoyment and training. When you’re having fun, time and ammo seems to just fly by. I keep less than I probably should because of this. Remember that range ammo works in an emergency, even if it’s not your first choice. You don’t have to take the world’s greatest dancer to the prom to have a wonderful time.

4 Likes

The same with motorcycles!

6 Likes

I tend to keep enough on hand to keep my mags full and carry a bit extra on the side in my BOB. That said, as soon as I saw the run on TP, I knew ammo was next so I made sure to get an order in so that I can still go have fun while were sitting around waiting. Glad I got in before the prices went up!

3 Likes

And hospitals didn’t buy bulk masks, need I say more.
Pelosi and her collusion with the Chinese brought this plague down upon us, if this doesn’t work to bring down the president, what will they try next? It’s not a conspiracy theory if it’s happening all around you!
Buy as much as your paycheck will allow. I say spend it all! Screw the toilet paper!

3 Likes

My biggest worry is how long will it take for me to find range ammo after I can leave the house. I want to go to the range :sob:.

This will pass. I’m more than adequately prepared for my home and family.

4 Likes

That’s 30-50 mags per caliber🧐 now try the math. Can’t have too many mags. I’m preparing like Will Smith in “I am Legend”!
FYI for anyone concerned, you can keep your mags loaded for life, I do rotate mine every time a new shipment of ammo arrives. Keep calm, rinse and repeat!

2 Likes

I don’t have the free time to get to the range like I want too. However I have found that I cam work on fundamentals quite effectively with a good quality airsoft gun. I’ve set up a small range in my garage where I can practice from behind cover or from inside my vehicle and other drills everything feels real minus the bang. I’m not saying this replaces live fire. I use it to compliment it.

Just giving options for this time of quarantine and ammunition price hikes/shortage.

2 Likes

The chances of running out of time is far greater than running out of ammo.
Unless you’re holding down the Alamo.

For me, range ammo takes the priority.
I’ve never had problems keeping an adequate supply of defensive ammo on hand, but I’ve experienced too many ammo shortages that have kept me from expending as much ammo as I would like for training.

5 Likes

Exactly… Close friends know I own guns and have carried for years and why I do, They know I stay legal and within the laws where I live. They know I belong to a range and practice on a regular basis, But if asked how much ammo I keep on hand I get the side eye. Don’t matter that 95% of my stock is range grade ammo. Only 5% I’ll bet my life on. It’s just the number on hand that scares them.

2 Likes

Lol, I was expecting it.
‘SO I HAVE ENOUGH’

2 Likes

I always replenish my supply and keep plenty of ammo stored. But I could always have more, haha.

2 Likes

All of my ammo is self defense ammo. I have a Daisy air rifle for plinking.

2 Likes

About 15% -> 20% or actually that’s besides what I keep for practice ammo

2 Likes