Do not keep a gun on your nightstand

I keep my firearm in my nightstand right next to my bed. Whether it is next to you or across the room, you will still need to be sure that you are awake enough and coherent before addressing the threat.

4 Likes

i would face want to face the prosecutor then die trying to get to my gun while the crook is shooting at me.

2 Likes

That’s a quite attractive photo sir,:heart_eyes::rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, my wife usually shakes her head and quietly walks away… :rofl:

1 Like

I’m a bit of a wild sleeper and tend to knock things off of my nightstand. For that reason, I also have mine in a quick access biometric safe. I would be interested to know more from someone that has the legal experience to the truth about this suggestion. I understand the idea behind it, but I also feel that if I were in a situation where I needed to use my firearm, I will be pretty wide awake at that point.

3 Likes

A couple of things that people could do before retiring for the night:

1. Lock your bedroom door (unless you have children that would want access your room at night). Locking your bedroom door gives you some extra time to get yourself situated in case you need to move to another room to secure family.

2. Bring your vehicle FOB and place it on your nightstand. If there is a break-in, among doing other things like dialing “911”, waking yourself completely before touching your firearm and grabbing a flashlight, just depress the panic alarm on your vehicle FOB. That alarm may just be enough to draw attention to your home and ward off the intruders.

8 Likes

I have never thought of the FOB idea, but that is a great option! Almost works as a security alarm without needing to buy one.

3 Likes

Bad advice! An intruder in your house is reason enough to defend yourself and family. Wasting time running around looking for your firearm is stupid and might get you killed. If you need it, you’ll need it fast. That kind of foolish advice is like the one about not mixing different types of Ammo in your mag because it will make you seem more aggressive .

5 Likes

I like the FOB idea. Never thought of it. As for the night stand. I would think that if I am awake enough to operate the table top safe, then I am awake enough to understand that an intruder represents a threat.

2 Likes

And while you’re attempting to cross the room, and dying in the attempt…

I recall a story (possibly) apocryphal, of a Marine Vietnam combat Veteran being awakened by the duty officer - a fresh-minted ‘butterbar’ - putting a hand on his shoulder and attempting to shake him awake. Next thing he knew, he was across the room with a broken jaw and the Corporal was wide awake, standing next to his rack. There was no prosecution, the CO ruled that the Lieutenant should have known a combat Veteran would awaken instantly, for over a year his life had depended on it.

The prosecutor is going to say and do anything to convict, otherwise he wouldn’t have taken it to trial, but what he actually knows is irrelevant, it’s what he can get a jury to believe.

3 Likes

As long as the intruder filled out the proper forms before breaking into where I live, I see no reason not to protect myself. If I wander in the street and get hit by a car? Its now the drivers fault that he hit me?

Next time,… send me a letter in advance that you are going to break in my home on such and such date. That way I will not shoot you. That’s only fair. Show the judge the letter.

3 Likes

@Gene31 Welcome to the community. Sarcasm welcome. :+1:

3 Likes

Are you kidding? A stranger in your bedroom in the middle of the night? You shoot the intruder. The fact that a prosecutor would be after the shooter doesn’t even make sense. This just happened in my rural county. I’ll take my chances.

2 Likes

My wife’s strange would that cause a problem?

3 Likes

My wife and I are 83. We don’t move as well as we used to…especially in a darkened room.
On my nightstand.

5 Likes

Looks to me like an intruder would be screwed. Not you.

3 Likes

Did I mention I also have a dog in the room with us and my wife is as good a shot as I am and she’s got her own “stuff” on her side of the bed? Yep, it would be a serious failure in the Victim Selection Process".

6 Likes

And to the OP, on a serious note. WHY would I EVER handicap my own abilities to defend myself when fractions of a second are important? For the life of me I can’t fathom why on earth I’d do that. And I don’t care what a prosecutor MIGHT claim, that’s my lawyers problem. A justified act of self defense is just that, justified. Don’t know where you read that advice but it’s not good at ALL.

We live in an amazing age where all the information available in the world is available to us on the internet and other media, unfortunately MOST of it is wrong. That’s why I trust very little other than what I read in the USCCA website which is vetted by SD experts and lawyers. And even that gets closely scrutinized and has to pass my personal common sense filters to make sure it applies to me and my life.

12 Likes

Why, as we remember from this man’s perspective, to make it a fair fight, of course [sarcasm intended]…

2 Likes

I would not keep a handgun in condition 1 on my nightstand (round in the chamber). My husband has 2 loaded in the biometric nightstand safe, but they are not in condition 1.

The reasoning is sound. When you are startled awake, you are not thinking clearly enough to discern what is a threat and what is not a threat. Keeping a loaded anything with one in the chamber is a nightmare waiting to happen. Our CC instructor told us the story of a guy coming home early from deployment and wanting to surprise his wife…and he ended up getting shot because of this very issue. Never keep it ready to fire.

On top of that, in many states, it is illegal to keep a firearm in such a condition or place where a minor could have access to it and harm themselves or someone else.

1 Like