Disclosing being CCW to police

Go Bama,

We have issued 8 times as many licenses as California and have less than 1/8 of the of the population.

3 Likes

Very true.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY & @Harleymac1
Last Spring in May I had a very nice patrol officer a woman come to my home to take a police report due to a situation. She saw my Concealed Carry Magazine on the kitchen table. I wasnā€™t wearing my gun, I took it off and put it in the Bedroom before she arrived I wanted her to feel safe. She was very nice. She took the report calling dispatch for a police report number. I told her I had a Concealed Carry License. She said that she knew, she was told on her way here that I had a FOID and Concealed Carry License but thanked me anyway for mentioning that I was in possession of these. Said that you canā€™t ever have enough Concealed Carriers and personally she said that the more Licensed Concealed Carriers the better off everyone is. Thanked each other and she was done and she left.

2 Likes

The majority of law enforcement is in favor of CC!

5 Likes

See that never gets much press. Iā€™m always surprised when I hear that. I suppose I shouldnā€™t be, but the scowling scolding ā€œdont try this at homeā€ ā€œyouā€™ll get shot with your own gunā€ attitude is what often makes the ā€œnewsā€.

Iā€™m glad to have additional data points that say itā€™s not so.

6 Likes

That has been my experience as well. I donā€™t have a duty to report but I do anyways.

Iā€™ve been thanked, by both law enforcement and first responders at different times for the simple act of being responsible and respectful while carrying concealed.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s no duty to inform in my state, and I wouldnā€™t. To me, it escalates a situation for no reason. If Iā€™m asked, Iā€™ll answer honestly what Iā€™m carrying and where it is, and I have no problems following instructions to keep a LEO comfortable, but Iā€™m not going to initiate the conversation.

Iā€™ve polled a lot Iā€™d LEOs on this, and theyā€™re split. Some want to know, some donā€™t care.

2 Likes

Unfourtnaly, We have the duty to inform hereā€”in Louisiana

However, People need to realize that only applies when approached in an official capacityā€¦

In other words, I would not run-up to the Policeman at Circle-K buying hot coffee and tell him I have a gunā€¦

Might have hot coffee thrown in my face if it was taken as some form of threat.

1 Like

I believe, here in AZ, that I have to answer if asked, but I recently discovered that al that may not matter.

I had a fender-bender and while the officer was having my plates checked for owner/warrants I heard the dispatcher inform her that I was a permit holder. Dressed for summer heat, it should have been obvious that I was not armed. She never mentioned it.

Something tells me that cops, career military and the like are respectful of anyone who goes to all the trouble to carry legally.

1 Like

I live in the state of Virginia so when you get issued a CCW itā€™s linked right to DMV so the police will already know if they stop you.

1 Like

Here in Texas your CC license is also linked to your DMV record since they also use the same picture.
Once the officer runs your plates and license, they will know you have a license.
I would have to double check, but here in Texas, I think you have a duty to report that you are carrying while they are in an official capacity.

2 Likes

You can always check our Reciprocity map www.uscca.com/laws

Here are the details for California:

2 Likes