Disappointed in the USCCA

I’ve enjoyed every minute of the training I have done. I also gain much from reading quality material and watching videos, like those produced by USCCA. I plan to do more as funds allow. Always learning.

4 Likes

I don’t know what I would do without the USCCA!

They have been important to my education!

I hope a lot of you guys feel the same!

4 Likes

OK, I’m really late to the discussion but here goes my .02:

My initial thought to your OP still remains: holy overreaction! Have you read any other articles by Rick Sapp? I find him to be very far from anti-gun and very thoughtful in his articles. I’ll also say I fully agree that a DD214 can be an extremely low bar for a permit.

Forget the 2A arguments, the law is what the law is and it can be repealed or changed but for now it’s what we live with.

I say that the DD214 can be an extremely low bar coming from my military background: USAF B-52 avionics. In my 4+ years of service I handled one weapon (an M-16) for less than 4 hours on 1 day of basic training. I don’t think that would qualify me for a hunter’s safety class.

Other branches, Army and Marines, would be a different story altogether, as their mission is vastly different. Still, I don’t remember there being that much information on a DD214 that would give someone any idea what level of weapons training was received.

Just my humble opinion, flame away.

5 Likes

Wow very cool!! I watched one of his trainings on YouTube from a long time ago and he goes “the saying in America goes… once a cr always a c*r. When you lie in court you’ll always be a liar. “ I starting ROFLing so hard.

4 Likes

13 Likes

I agree with you.
3 types of people in the world. Type 1 are sheep, unable or unwilling to protect themselves, Type 2 THE SHEEP DAWG(PEOPLE LIKE US) WHO PROTECTS the sheep from the Type 3 who are the wolfs who want to prey on the sheep.
KEEP WATCH

GOD BLESS

8 Likes

It doesn’t, but no State course will make someone ready to carry, the best is can do is give out a handful of basics. Much of being prepared is building the mindset and that requires a personal commitment to providing the safety for yourself and loved ones. It means time to read material, to practice, to dry-practice, to practice drawing, to consider what could happen and attempt to ready yourself for it. I read a while back that the average person fires less than 300 rounds a year. Most people only go to a range or shoot three or four times a year. A state can pass out a license, but it is up to the individual to prepared themselves.

7 Likes

@Mikentexas - If you’re going to reply to a post @Dawn made four months ago, you should consider properly citing it. Further, I have read Dawn’s posts for a long time. “Blather” really can’t be applied to any of her writings. Finally, adding her personal totem ("… Training") to MacArthur’s words neither invalidates her statement, nor makes it wrong.

Lighten up.

3 Likes

I did not try to read this whole thread and being fairly new to this group I might be writing something already pointed out. If so I apologize up front. Anyway, to my way thinking training is always good, but there is a ‘however’. Lots of people who conceal carry do so only for their own last resort protection. They might be older, fixed or lower income, handicapped, shut-in, etc. and to go to the range or practice often is a real hardship. There are other reasons as well, maybe they are long time very active shooters from the hunting side. For example hunting quail over birddogs in heavy cover with a few friends requires quick target acquisition, while evaluation of down range issues before pulling the trigger. These things just touch on the many things that can influence training and practice. I don’t know but I would guess the majority of people who go to the trouble to obtain a CCL do not worry about using their weapon except in a direct last choice situation. This probably explains why there are not more incidents with permit holders. Their guns just do not come out. Again, please don’t misunderstand my point. Training is good, more training is better, and practice follows the same line. However, for those who can not they should still have the personal option to carry or not. I should add: I come from a military family. My father carried even in the state of NJ (we were station there) and in no state did he ever get a permit. He said his combat service and our constitution were more than enough to cover his ‘permit’. I agreed.

3 Likes

I would agree with you for the most part, @William220 - your response is very close to what has been said in part here. The one thing I would suggest is reassessing the cost of training. You can do a lot of training for free at home - dryfire, presentation from a holster, and scenario training (mental training). Check out the USCCA YouTube channel ( https://m.youtube.com/user/USCCAtraining/ )

I firmly believe everyone can train - and should train - for the safety of themselves and their loved ones. But I also believe that mandated trainings aren’t always the way to teach people. (Think about High School classes you had to take - do you remember the content from those classes? I don’t remember it all - especially geometry :flushed:.)

6 Likes

I heard my Professor in that sentence hahaha [Trying to lighten out mood with humor] I’m HUGE one a citing because I actually [Off topic here lol] bur I actually despise plagersim and you see this in-its entirety on Facebook where people act as if they made it up. [again, chaining thoughts here]

4 Likes

No real disagreement, However, there are may frail, older, etc., who just don’t use the internet, their time is full of other things they deem more important. They may have medical issues that make practice painful. Again, not trying to make a case against training. Cost is not always monetary. Heck, I train and have been shooting all my life. I just know many people who to them their firearm is simple a old tool, much like a hammer, and they just do not care to mess with it unless forced.

4 Likes

Agreed - I just hope they are at least practicing situational awareness to the best of their abilities. AND using safety measures to keep them safe at home.

3 Likes

You are right and I have deleted my post

2 Likes

Illinois is $150.00 renewal every 5 years and you have to take a CCW class also at each renewal. Plus every 10 years we have the FOID (Firearm Owners ID. card). I just renewed my Utah CCW for out of State and I think it was $20-25.00. Did everything on line and had my card in about a week. There are people in Illinois that have been waiting 6 months for their cards.

1 Like

You have to consider ‘freedom of speech’. I know it’s a tough thing to handle but it’s better to see what bone they are picking at than not knowing. We talk about our feelings on the way we feel about them.
There are worse things to worry about than that. We have a very big election coming up in November in all states plus the Presidency. We NEED to win both houses and the Presidency if we hope to have a chance at anything.

I’m not disappointed in the USCCA. They are working for us.

7 Likes

I’ve got a DD214 with an honorable discharge and a Vietnam Service ribbon. The US Air Force trained me on the M-16 which, if truth be told, I was never any good at shooting. I got out in December 1970 and never fired another gun until 2017, when my wife and I took an intro course in firearm handling and safety, nearly fifty years later.

Do I think they owed me a CCW card? Uh, no.I took a more advanced class and went through the application process, like most of the rest of us.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY can explain this better than me but Facebook, Google, Your Job or heck fire @Dawn could band why who violate community standards …

Bad example: say I go to work carrying and it goes against company policy they can terminate me because they are not a government entity.

1 Like

Two years of French in high school and the one thing I can say with absolute certainty is “Je ne parle pas francais.” For those of you who do not speak french it means “I do not speak french.”

@Randall318 I’m not sure what I am answering but I’ll take a stab at it. Assuming this goes to the heart of the original post in this thread, I will say that the First Amendment is not applicable because USCCA is not a “government actor” so does not have the ability to violate someone’s Constitutional freedom of speech. That being said, this forum has “community standards” which prohibit certain types of messages and activities focusing primarily on folks being respectful to each other and not to use the forum to promote commercial activities.

The original post in this thread referenced another post that a community member deemed “anti-Second Amendment” because the person did not believe a DD-214 should be accepted as a replacement of a state’s training requirement for obtaining a CCL. There is nothing wrong with voicing that opinion any more than saying that a DD-214 should be accepted in lieu of state required training. In fact, I could argue persuasively on both sides of the issue and would be satisfied with the outcome no matter which side I took.

The bigger issue I saw with this thread, however, is holding USCCA accountable for the opinion of a community member that differs with that person’s opinion. That is not what USCCA is about. Could USCCA have censored the post? Absolutely! @Dawn could have deleted it without comment. Or, she could have deleted this thread in the same way. But that is not what USCCA is about.
USCCA’s main goal is to protect the Protector by providing knowledge, training and legal protection to help anyone who is carrying a firearm to do so responsibly. While USCCA supports the Second Amendment, the organization, unlike the NRA, GOA and many other national, state and local organizations, is not a Civil Rights or lobbying organization. In other words, USCCA may advocate the Second Amendment, it is not a Second Amendment Advocate and we will not likely see USCCA filing an amicus brief in the Supreme Court advocating against Gov. Newsome’s arcane laws and regulations against the sale of guns. On the other hand, we could very well see a brief filed in the Supreme Court on behalf of a USCCA member being prosecuted for defending him or herself as a responsibly armed American.

The one thing I can say with certainty is, in this Community, people with differing opinions can zealously advocate and express their ideas and ideals in a respectful discourse. And, as long as it stays respectful, it can go on from November 9, 2019, to May 18, 2020, and beyond!

6 Likes

You said it PERFECTO, @MikeBKY

I had to go back myself hahaha
Pray your week starts off well brother!

2 Likes