Decocking a 1911-style...?

Hi!
Sparing debate about self-defense theory, I’m wondering in particular about this Springfield 911 9mm I’m picking up (I’m in the parking lot waiting for a COVID-19 appointment).
It does not have a decocking lever. So don’t decock it? I’m figuring on sometimes ankle carry so if decocking is something that would be reasonably considered on it in general, I would reasonably consider decocking especially in that carry scenario.

3 Likes

The Springfield 911 is designed after the 1911 which is designed to be carried cocked and locked. You’ll want to carry it with the hammer cocked and the safety locked on. Also, you’ll want to train to turn off the safety as your extending on target for self-defense.

You want to carry it cocked and locked at all times.

Hope that helps, @iamteeg!

12 Likes

I am a strong addvicate for carrying a weapon with one in the chamber. The 1911 style is designed to do just that. If you find the need to unload the weapon then while aiming the weapon in a safe direction, drop the magazine, rack the weapon and set the slide lock to keep the slide back. look in the the breech of the weapon to insure the weapon is clear. At this point you should be able to look in to the magazine well and see clear then review the breech to again insure it is clear. If you intend not to carry cocked and lock(bad choice, in my opinion), close the slide, then insert the magazine and leave the hammer down.
My opinion this option is dangerous to the owner of the weapon. If you are in a position that you would need the backup weapon, now you must retrive, rack and aim, too much time is wasted. I suggest running the weapon as designed. I can say that most if not all LEOs carry a weapon in the ready position 24/7.
Good luck

Larry

6 Likes

Hey all!
Before reading your replies, I did the background check and received said 911!

I actually realized, and for the first time, understood +1 w/ manual safety.
Took pulling the hammer once to realize that’s not something I’d like to have to do during any critical situation… meaning it required more physical effort than I remembered, as did racking the slide.

I am still a believer that DAO pistols without the manual safety are kinda a either-way, whatever’s comfortable thing… but I instantly agree with y’all and came to the same conclusion about carrying 1911/1911-platform pistols.

7 Likes

SO policy with a SAO was it was cocked and locked. SA/DA was 1 in the chamber and decoked. There is always one in the chamber … Always!

9 Likes

I was beginning to wonder how tall you were and how much you weighed when you said you were going to carry a 1911 in an ankle rig. :astonished: Now that I see you meant 911 I feel better. Yes cocked and locked for SA pistols, keep one in the pipe especially if going to an ankle because you are already WAYYYY behind getting it out.

Decocking a 1911 is tantamount to riding a motorcycle it’s not IF you wreck (ND) it’s WHEN you wreck (ND).

FWIW, YOU or any half competent gun plumber can INCREASE the resistance needed to get the safety OFF with the use if a drill bit and needle file. Notice I didn’t say Dremel or Drill but drill bit. The pocket that the plunger pin goes in can be deepened and the release contoured to give you a more substantial safety OFF than stock that won’t bend the plunger pin or rip the plunger tube off the frame. Additionally if desired, with the needle file, you can contour the ON pathway to smooth it up to make it easier to get the safety ON.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

That looks like a really nice gun :+1:

3 Likes

Well stated…
I carried a 1911 in the Army for 30 of 37 years. I was in a position when the 9 mm came into replace the .45’s, and was able to keep some back for special purpose weapons. Of the hundreds we turned in, we kept the best of the weapons and plenty of parts for the Armor. I had a personal weapon at home, a Colt Gold Cup, I got ion a shop in Alaska during a visit in October 1986. It’s a wonderful firearm and I still ave it. I recently, retired it and purchased a Ruger American .45. It’s not a colt but I LIKE IT… Shoots well and carries well concealed in a IWB Alien Gear rig. With the choices you have in ammunition for Self Defense, ya, even the 9 mm and .380 have good stat’s.
Must say, the .40 cal is a must have for the guy who just has to have the Corvette, because it’s Special…
Regards.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family John, god bless you.

4 Likes

Just an early morning thought this thread brought to mind.

We so much about banning “weapons of war” when the bobble heads are talking about AR-15s and AK-47s and similar semi-automatic rifles or the so called “assault weapon.”

If they ever really do ban “weapons of war”, we are in trouble because the US military has used almost every make/model/caliber handgun ever made! From the Ruger MK II in .22 to the .54 flintlock pistol and the infamous 1911, they are all “weapons of war.”

7 Likes

You nailed it @MikeBKY, we will be in trouble. The deceiving word game they play is infuriating. Pretty sure there were baseball bats (or at least an altered form) used in trench warfare in WWI, will those be banned as well…would that lead to “common sense” bat control?

4 Likes

@iamteeg, Good to see you’ve decided to carry the 911 as designed and intended.

In addition to the external safety you visually see there is an internal firing pin safety. What this means is when the trigger is pulled it not only releases the hammer to strike the firing pin, but also mechanically allows the firing pin to hit the primer resulting in the firing of the pistol. The internal firing pin safety is there in case on the long shot chance the hammer should ever release without the trigger being pulled, like when dropped for example. Can the firing pin safety fail? Of course it can, but not very likely.

Therefore, other than beating it with a hammer, or dropping it just right, the only way to de-cock it is to hold and gently guide the hammer down to the firing pin while the trigger is pulled. Due to the small geometry, power of the hammer spring, and the pulled trigger releasing the firing pin safety, it is just a matter of time before a slip of the hammer results in an accidental discharge.

Not trying to beat the horse, I just feel knowledge is power.

5 Likes

Pump shotguns. WW1. The original “assault weapon” was a rock.

1 Like

Yep, Once upon a time, I was decocking my 1911. It was pointed in a safe direction ( at my wood floor of my house which is one story & peer & beam) The F*****h hammer slipped & i put a nice round hole through my floor. After that I have always been very careful & put my total concentration on it. I too, am retired military & when I carry a 1911, baby, it;s nothing but cocked & locked

3 Likes