Debrief: What We Learned From the COVID-19 Crisis | USCCA

Now that states are beginning to open back up, it is time to step back and assess what responsibly armed Americans can learn from the COVID-19 shutdown.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/debrief-what-we-learned-from-the-covid-19-crisis/
4 Likes

Very good and interesting read. It never got really “bad” here, but there were a few tense times. I plan on getting myself a bit more prepared, in case of a more drastic crisis.

4 Likes

All was good here also. We were able to donate to the food banks for those in need and tried to help any local restaurants by ordering out twice a week at least.
We had several deaths from drug use and one discharge of a firearm during a drug deal, a few thefts from a vehicle but no B&Es of robbery.
Nancy and I made sure we had more cash on hand and we never had to touch our preps, not even the TP.
I cannot think of anything I would do differently, I believe we had everything covered and I turned my stored fuel around when the price dropped. I have been reading up on others comments and AARs. Life is good. :+1:

6 Likes

My wife is very ill and so getting out of the house has been very difficult for her. Being “stuck at home”, cabin fever, was never an issue. We have a comfortable home and she is happy to have it the way that it is. I continued to work and have not lost the ability to provide for my wife and myself. The only thing we might have run short of was TP. But otherwise, we were also pretty well prepared.

We were very concerned about the rioting just a few miles away from our neighborhood. Now we have both a handgun and a shotgun in our home. I am looking forward to the training videos and scenarios from USCCA. I also appreciate the support of a wider community of gun owners and people of similar minds concerning preparation and unity of purpose: protecting our families and our way of life as FREE Americans. God bless America and all those who still love her and respect her.

4 Likes

@Jake76 and Wife, welcome to the community. We are glad to have you. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, Bruce and Nancy. I look forward to “meeting” many of the community here and getting acquainted with a lot of good people.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Jake76! Please ask questions when you have them! Everyone here is very helpful 99% of the time! The other 1% they’re making funny comments. :smiley:

If you’re wondering if a specific topic has been covered, be sure to use the search function at the top of the screen!

I’ll keep you and your wife’s health in my prayers! Stay safe!

I think you make a lot of good points. My family had a heads up on the toilet paper because we have family in California warned us about what they were experiencing while our supplies in Michigan were still plentiful at that time.

As to your point on the gun buyers, I am actually a new gun buyer myself. I actually ordered my first gun prior to the shut down. We had a plan in place for training and a few weeks later joined the USCCA. The problem we had was there was no training classes available. We were lucky enough that a local outdoor range was still open and taking new members, so with all the content from the USCCA and other sources we were able to get a laser trainer, and do dry fire practice at home, and reinforce it with live fire at the range. I just finally took my Concealed carry class the other day and hoping to take my advanced defense next month. I can’t say I have always been pro second amendment but I was never against it. When my kids were young, I was against having a gun in the home, and for tighter laws.

That said after going to college later in life and learning how to do actual research, my opinion changed greatly over the years based on factual research, not from anti-gunners or gun nuts per se. If anyone went through the process I did to get a gun, I am not sure how they could say that it was too easy but I am sure you are right in that some will still say it. If you don’t have a criminal history that blocks you from a gun, it shouldn’t be that difficult. I was put on a hold due to the amount of background checks being done when I went to pick mine up.

This whole situation did teach my family several things along the way. Including stocking up on items we need. We were lucky and never ran low on anything and we didn’t have to hoard anything in the process. We will definitely be upping our medical supplies on hand, as well as the amount of ammo, food that will last, back up power, and water. We already were well stocked up on games and other entertainment for in the home and didn’t really feel bored. We did get a little stir crazy at first but once we realized we were never really locked in per se, things smoothed right out. We did what was allowed, and made the most out of our yard activities. Overall for us, it was an enjoyable time, the worst was couple trips we had to make to the store but even that wasn’t much different than normal other than things missing on the self.

Good post. I enjoyed reading it

3 Likes

Might have mentioned getting a water purification system, there are plenty on the market and water will be needed by everyone in a major shut down. Ted

2 Likes

Great subject!
I had have worked for some high end groceries stores on the east coast, so any time the snow came, people would hoard bread, eggs, milk. Crazy amounts . We used to call them french toasters. I personally always keep a stock of stuff for the what if…
I was able to help out with a Korean war vet on my street, recently widowed, and help to get him through this with supplies. I was also making food, baking bread and meals and bringing to my neighbors. The other thing that I had done was put in a house back up generator being I have well water. And installed rain catchers under my gutters.
Just for extra I also get the 5 gallon jugs of water, just in case. Fortunately we were able to help out more of our neighbors. Yet all that we helped definitely took a look at what to do for themselves in the future.

1 Like