Has covid-19 made bulk purchase or reloading your thing

Has the current,shelter in place(stay at home) rules made you think about your preparedness?

Did you have an ammu ition supply for your weapons?
Or
Did you go on a buying spree only to be hit with delivery delays?
Or Did you go looking for more brass?
Did you have enough powder? Primers?
What has crossed your mind with national guard role outs? Etc.
What are you responses?

2 Likes

I just happened to buy ammo before “it” hit the fan

4 Likes

I have bought over 2,000 rounds since “it” hit the fan, and at fair prices. You just have to be diligent (and quick) in searching the web. Example, SGAmmo has had boxes and cases available everyday for weeks now, it just goes really quickly.

2 Likes

I thought I was better prepared than I was. I blame myself because I’ve been slack lately due to health issues. Before Covid 19 became a big deal I found a great deal on fmj .45 so I have plenty there. Where I had been slack was in my medications.

So I fixed that as 2 of them are sort of a big deal to me.

I keep meaning to get body armor for the Mrs. but getting her to sit still long enough will probably involve a hefty bribe.

I had enough food and such for my various dogs and cats but not enough heartworm and flea preventative so I got a year’s worth there and all of em got the 3 year rabies shot.

3 Likes

We were fairly well prepared. Since we moved to Florida, we have taken each late winter as an opportunity to stock up on things we would need, should a major hurricane leave us without power for a few weeks.

However, we had gotten complacent. We had allowed some supplies to get low. Some things (baking ingredients, in particular) have remained hard to come by.

We still have enough to last a few weeks.

Getting my wife to sit still is an issue. She’s typically in the car 3-4 times every day, running errands and shopping. Now that we’re under a statewide stay at home order, she’s chafing under that. Taking a walk helps, but getting to the end of this will help even more.

3 Likes

I usually keep around 2,000 of ammo. During normal living conditions I need to restock it every 3 - 4 weeks.
These days I still have 2,000 rounds bought month ago.

3 Likes

I already had my ammo supply put away so I have not needed to buy in the current market. The lack of ammo in the Obama era ammo drought (especially .22) encouraged me to restock when it became available again.

4 Likes

I buy when low; not reactive, but proactive.

3 Likes

We have been researching reloading equipment and have visited with other USCCA members on this site about this subject… We seem to always have a shortage of time, and time to reload would be scarce. HOWEVER, shortages.? I personally didn’t think we would hit a ammo shortage after the .22 shortage. Wrong again. We have enough ammo that would scare most people.

A few weeks ago, I got tired of junk scrap laying around, and our local metals market had hit some highs. How dumb was our decision to sell 250 lbs of mostly 9mm brass, and I just found the receipt…1200lbs of scrap alum? How dumb. My mrs did get a new desk/table for her office that she needed, from that sale.

Since my crystal ball fell off and is broken, with the last local earthquake, I think the ammo shortage will run well into the fall, or next year, before the prices stabilize. Therefore, am on the hunt for reloading equipment and supplies.

4 Likes

If I had access to a range that allowed reloaded ammo, I would be all over reloading. However, manufacturing and owning ammo that I can’t shoot is worse than pointless. Fortunately, I have plenty of ammo on hand…but I will be ramping stores up as soon as I can.

1 Like

Have always purchased in bulk, just like toilet paper. Never get below half a tank. That pertains to each weapon in each caliber. Like everything else when buying in bulk it’s slightly cheaper. Fortunately I did not have to go on a buying spree, yes I wish I had 10,000 to 100,000 more rounds on hand. When this is over I will probably prepare more in advance, screw food and toilet paper I’m buying ammo. Right now you can’t find bulk ammo.

3 Likes

@SKIdaho if you are not sold on a particular brand of reloading equipment hit me up with a PM I am willing to bet I can walk you through a solid setup that will cover 95% of the bases out there. PLEASE do not buy a Kit. I’m slightly astonished to say I have been reloading for 30 years :astonished: and have boxes of leftover junk reloading equipment that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I was reloading before all this started. What I have done is had a little more time to cast, size and lube more lead.

I have also found more time to do more reloading. I read the writing on the walls before it left China and stocked up then on the reloading supplies I was short on.

3 Likes

Got a Lyman Ultimate Reloading kit for X-mas. Finally made the jump to reloading - They might be limiting the amounts of ammo you can buy soon so … Too bad I cant get to the range to test out my load recipes. Lyman’s 50th Ed. Reloading book is a great source for data for the beginner loader.

3 Likes

I upgrade my Lyman’s each time they come out with a new edition. First thing I do is go to the pages of the things I reload the most and compare what (if anything) has changed.

Once I started casting my own bullets I bought Lyman’s Cast Bullet Handbook as well.

1 Like

Welcome,nice to see you here

I only have about ten pistols and eight rifles/shotguns. I keep a minimal amount of ammo at the house–maybe only 10,000-15,000 rounds.

I find these impulse buyers pretty humorous. I hope they at least know something about shooting their new firearms!