Constitutional Carry - Is your state next?

I carry 10 + 1 with two additional ten round magazines.

2 Likes

Right now I carry one in my pocket. :rofl:

@Dawn

I believe that New Jersey is currently fighting this, as they have been for years, and it is currently in the hands of the US Supreme Courts. One can only hope that it passes but New Jersey is fighting it every step of the way especially with Governor Murphy at the helm.

3 Likes

I live in Philly, PA. It is a class 1 carry state and city. Open carry is allowed with a permit only, but the police don’t recommend it, as to avoid hysteria or being called out for an armed man walking down the street posing no threat. The liberal cowards that run our state will not allow Constitutional carry, because they are uneducated and weak. Politicians should NOT be involved with any type of firearms. Our freedom and rights are not government property.

1 Like

I can understand your frustration at the cumbersome and limiting carry situation in Philadelphia, @Matthew_Arentzen .

Please remember that there are a lot of liberal people who carry and support the Second Amendment.

Name calling and bashing people because they do not agree with a certain view point - no matter what the view is - will not advance your argument. Once name calling starts, the ability to have a respectful conversation to learn from each other ends and no progress can be made.

If we cannot have a respectful conversation, the current atmosphere will only get more contentious and no change can happen. We need to take the high road and be respectful in our attempts to share our views and educate others about firearms and self defense.

1 Like

Dawn,

I understand. My fault. It won’t happen again.

Matt

2 Likes

Dawn,

I wasn’t referring to those who are liberal that carry. I respect them. I was referring to the politicians who want us unprotected, unlawfully. I have emailed several senators and congressmen about their threats. Their replies were regenerated emails, threats to restrict “large capacity magazines, binary triggers, red flag laws” and so forth. Philadelphia is NOT the city of “brotherly love”. I do apologize for the name calling, but it was not towards our friends that carry and agree with us. People who do carry here, are getting fed up with all of the filthy that is being spread about lawful citizens who carry or own guns. But they do call us names
so let them.

Matt Arentzen

1 Like

Matt - I totally understand! There are so many in politics who do not understand firearms nor self-defense. I would ask that we all are very targeted when we discuss those who are against our rights so that others who are like-minded on the self-defense front don’t feel lumped in with the “anti” people.

It may feel like we have to watch every word we say - in a way we do. But to help everyone learn and to get our message across, watching our words so we express ourselves respectfully and in a way that opens up a conversation is a small price to pay, right?

If I have to change the way I speak so that people understand me, I will. Should I have to change the way I speak is a moot point because my concern is that people understand me and are willing to talk about the situations.

Please know my comments were not meant as an attack. I am hoping that by better explaining our views to others we can open the minds of those who don’t like guns just a little bit and foster productive conversations.

1 Like

Dawn,
Did not take it as an attack. Not at all! I come from Philly, we have big, foul mouths. I try to hit the point, and not hurt others. But when the threat is at our doorstep, I don’t back down, lol!

1 Like

I think when some of us use the term “liberal” we mean leftist. However, the Democratic Party prides itself on its platform, which includes laws encroaching on the 2nd Amendment. Just like abortion, some “liberals” (self-described Democrat’s) are prolife and support gun rights (2nd Amendment rights). Language is a tricky thing.

Whew! Glad you understood Matt! Sometimes the text doesn’t convey the sentiment well!

Dawn, yep I gotcha! But we all need to pay attention to those who want to takes us down. Words can be actions, and or threats can become real. They are desperate.

1 Like

@KillJoy, language is fun! :slight_smile: I love the nuances, however I also hate the nuances at times.

Being very specific about the issue is important no matter what the topic. Our issue isn’t with liberals or the democratic party. Our issue is that we want to be able to defend ourselves and maintain our Second Amendment rights. People who are against that are the ones we need to talk with and share our knowledge - and it’s not the entire democratic party or every liberal. Our wording is so important - especially in text because it can be taken so many different ways.

Isn’t language fun :wink:

2 Likes

Laser focus attention on those who want to remove our rights - I’m with you on that, Matt!

1 Like

We have no choice. It’s our defense. We may want to do the work as many angels, but there are those who want to take the feathers. Nope. Not happening.

1 Like

My thoughts on CCW in general are at odds with most on here so please don’t all gut me like a fish at once. What bothers me is the ease of which one can get a concealed carry permit. I don’t think that Micky Mouse little class prepares someone to carry a pistol everyday. I think when someone takes the bare minimum amount of training and then sets out carrying everyday is setting themselves up for desaster. I’ve carried a pistol every day for 20+ years now and still doubt myself on occasion. I have no doubt that an armed society is in fact a polite society. I advocate for firearms and the carrying of them at every possibility. However I feel like one has the responsibility to her/himself to learn more about the art of gunfighting if you’re going to carry one. More so than just a 40 hour class. Yes. I do support constitutional carry but I also think if you’re going to do it, you’d better know the rules. These rules don’t come from friends mouths or some article you read online. They come from websites that almost exclusively end in dotGov. End rant.

3 Likes

No one will gut you like a fish, @AdamJ! All views are welcome here as long as they’re expressed respectfully - which yours are!

1 Like

No fileting here! Rant away my friend! I agree with you @AdamJ. 40 hour class is more than we have here. Example, i sat alongside my mother during a CCW class. The class took maybe 4 hours. No hands on. Nowhere near enough time to understand the laws. Included The most basic handgun training. After the class i spent an hour with my mom at the gun counter reexplaining the basics of handguns. Yet (this is not a slight towards my mom, because shes my mom and i love her to death) since we sat in that class, she could apply for her CCW and receive it with no training. In fact, i didnt have to join the class at all. I could apply for my CCW with my hunter safety certificate. (she never did apply. She wasnt comfortable moving forward with it since she doesnt know enough. Dad is slowly getting her comfortable with handeling a firearm first at her pace) I work at a gun counter and encounter first time shooters often. I am always suggesting to them to go across the street to the range, take classes, rent firearms, before making that purchase and carrying. Having that CCW card doesnt excuse hands on training both with the firearm and with the laws. IMO i would love to see longer, more in depth classes. As well as a mandatory refresher class when renewing the license to re-cover the laws especially since they change.

5 Likes

Michigan is a “Shall” issue state for almost 20 years now, and also a Permitless Open Carry state. To get your Concealed Pistol License, an eight hour Safety class must be completed which includes some range time. I don’t remember how many rounds you are supposed to shoot, either 50 or 100 to prove competency. After the class you pay $100 + $15 for the background check and fingerprints. There was legislation that passed both Houses but was vetoed by our newly elected Republican Governor. He was onboard, or at least he said he was until one of the school shootings happened. That was over eight years ago when all this happened. Michigan was about ten years into our new Concealed Carry Law at that point. Now he’s gone and we have a liberal Democrat Governor who is very anti Second Amendment. I doubt that she would consider any loosening of our gun laws. I’ve carried daily for over 20 years and think that the required safety training is lacking depth and should be more strict. However, there is no training required to open carry which I have reservations about.

3 Likes

My CCW instructor repeatedly told the class this is not enough training and that people should seek a more comprehensive training program. He did the best he could with the tine he had. He was extremely honest and well versed in the laws. I agree that people should seek more training.

4 Likes