Concealed Vs. Open Carry

Not me. Discernment, observation, and gut instinct (based upon training and experience).

This is always a fine debate among gun owners. In my opinion I believe it is personal preference on carrying open or concealed, also depending on your state laws too of course. There are definitely pro and cons to both styles of carry. But I lean more toward concealed carry because of the tactical advantage. And most of the people I talk with who open carry tell me that they don’t like a lot of holsters for concealment. I tell them to try a crossbreed or alien gear holster for concealed carry.

6 Likes

I conceal carry everywhere, even my own home. To me, open carry is an invitation to others opinions about gun control/gun banning, and I don’t want to deal with that kind of negativity

8 Likes

I do both depending on where I am and what I am doing.

I use to have a problem of things gone missing from my yard (even had a small motorcycle stolen from behind my garage once). I don’t really live in a bad neighborhood we just had a couple of bad kids in the area. When the local police could do nothing I came up with a plan. I started doing yard work while wearing an open carry sidearm.

Its interesting that for the past 5 years since I started doing this not one thing has vanished from my yard.

5 Likes

I have carried iwb for almost 2 yrs, and loved it was comfy with it. Till I gained a hip issue someone told me to try a paddle holster owb it would take weight off my hip. By golly it did. I havnt been a fan of owb, but am learning to like it. I keep my shirt over it. I just buy my shirts a lil bigger now. Noone knows its there and its actually more comfy than iwb.

1 Like

Just want to share my favorite face-palm moments people watching while they open carry.
*no magazine in the firearm (seen this twice now)
*using a bright blue fanny pack with a full size 1911 (almost fell out too)
*tomb raider (one on each leg)
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: :woman_facepalming: oh! life in retail

2 Likes

I have no problem if someone wants to open carry or not, for me I’d prefer to conceal carry that way no one freaks out and calls the police or harasses me or my family in public.

1 Like

@Kelly, I was that guy once. I took a brand new 1911 on a fishing trip. Had it in a nice leather pancake holster (OWB) I’d bought. Turns out my muffin top protruded enough and lined up just right with the mag release. Got home that night to find one lonely round in the chamber. Poor little guy was wondering where all his buddies went. Lucky for me my friend found the missing mag in his truck.

4 Likes

No magazine in the gun? I’m speechless!!

2 Likes

“Got home that night to find one lonely round in the chamber. Poor little guy was wondering where all his buddies went.”

Haha, love how you worded this @AdamJ !
At least you found it!

One of the guys I talked to had his mag in his pocket. Was afraid to carry the firearm with ammo. The other guy argued with me that I didn’t know what I was talking about and should “go back to the clothing dept.” The magazine was missing! gah! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I live in NC, where you can open carry without a permit. That said, I don’t typically do it. I prefer not to draw attention to myself, or have people stare. I do a sorta “half open carry” in the winter, where I’ll carry outside the waistband with my coat covering most or all of the firearm. I think it technically falls under concealed carry, but it’s still partially exposed. People don’t seem to notice it though… Otherwise, I typically carry inside the waistband with my polo shirt tucked in, shoulder holster if I have a jacket, or pocket carry… sometimes all three. :grin:

2 Likes

I used to get so pissed when you would come home and tell me that. Now, it’s kind of like, maybe these dudes should put in half the range time and effort you put in. Whatever, at least our comments can’t be used on a “stupid stuff you hear at gun shops/ range” post or video. :grinning:

1 Like

@Dawn,
TOMBSTONE, did you see it yet?

3 Likes

If it’s was a 45, that’s all you need. One round of God’s caliber, will level a city block. :grin:

3 Likes

Good call @AdamJ! Don’t let @Dawn off the hook!

1 Like

@Dawn! Tombstone and pizza happening NOW in our household. Come over! :rofl:

Aquaman and one of my sons hanging out tonight. Thanks for the offer - next time!

I do both. And which one I do depends on the gun I’m carrying.I do have some issues with mobility and arm movement. So if I’m carrying my 1911. I open carry because I haven’t found a holster that I can use without any problems drawing or reholster the gun. But if I’m carrying my 9 mm I have found a holster that I can wear OTW but it looks like I’m not carrying. It looks like I’ve got a pouch for a tablet. When it is really a concealed carry holster. And I can draw and reholster the gun without any issues. So for myself it all depends on the gun I’m carrying.

2 Likes

@2A_American_Patriot, we’re in Missouri and my hubby open carries all the time. He’s had no issues anywhere, no one has said boo, and I’ve never seen anyone give him the stink-eye.

1 Like

In So Cal, when I lived there, the Open Carry movement did this deliberately to raise public awareness - it was a very strategic decision (and the topic of hot debate in the CA gun culture). It actually worked for a while, but… <-sigh-> I think CA’s a lost cause. We finally gave up and moved to a state with more common sense.

1 Like