Conceal Carry clothing

Being new to Concealed Carry, I could use some suggestions on shirts that work. I am naturally a very warm person, so I spend a lot of my personal time in tank tops. I find the basic cotton from tank tops and most T-shirts tends to catch and rest on my gun. Even if it remains covered, it’s still pretty obvious there is something vaguely gun shaped hiding in there.

Are there brands, styles, or materials anyone can recommend that works better? Are there tricks to helping the fabric slide off instead of hanging up?

1 Like

Are you carrying IWB or OWB (inside/outside waist band - just incase those aren’t familiar acronyms)? What position do you carry in?

Patterns and loose clothing help. A size or two too large can also help cover a firearm.

Have you tried a button down shirt that breaths over the tank top? you can leave it mostly unbuttoned, but it will cover printing from the tank top. Something like:

I’m not recommending that shirt specifically, but it demonstrates that some shirts can be cooling as well as coverage. I’ve seen @KevinM in more Hawaiian shirts that I care to count :palm_tree: :rofl: So that may be another good option for you?

3 Likes

I am carrying IWB just behind my right hip. everything seems to sit there pretty nicely except my shirts catching on it. I have my shirts at least one size larger, but some work better than others and I thought I would ask all of you for the pointers. I’m going to look into the shirts you mentioned and I’m looking forward to hearing other tips too. My wife of course gets to nix it if she doesn’t like the image it presents for me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Columbia brand fishing shirts and Wrangler Outdoor Wear. They are lightweight material that breathes, and they have either the vent flaps, or a thin mesh layer that wicks moisture, and hold the shirt off the skin. They can be had in several colors and patterns.

3 Likes

Maybe a pic of how bad it’s catching. It might seem worse than it really is.

2 Likes

I’ve recently started wearing shirts like this because I can carry owb and still have no printing.

2 Likes

Like Sheepdog says, it might not be as bad as you think. A lot of times I think I’m printing while wearing a polo type shirt and it’s only because I know it’s there, but no one else can tell.

2 Likes

I wear t-shirts all the time and when I think I’m printing (like last night), I’m not. A fellow carrier asked me why I wasn’t carrying last night, I was.

My issue with most shirts is they’re not long enough, I’m only 6’, but apparently have a long trunk, so I always try to buy tall shirts. For button downs I go XL SlimFit Tall, I’m a large for the record. The slim fit in XL fits a tad bit bigger than a regular large, a regular XL looks as if Omar the tent maker dressed me.

I usually grab all my button downs, T’s and polos from Old Navy because they make the slim fit available in almost all their shirts and they’re cheap. They’re XL t-shirts are a good fit and don’t look like Omar dressed me.

1 Like

Carhartt has a line of tall shirts. Even their regular shirts run a little long and bigger. And they last well too.

1 Like

Hey Derrick,

I was always having issues with catching my shirt on my gun and problems with printing. One thing I wish I would’ve done first before buying a lot of clothes, is adjust the cant (article about cant at the bottom of the comment, if you’re not familiar) on my holster to put the handle in line with some natural lines on my body. Honestly, adjusting the cant really eliminated a lot of the catching issues I was having.

I also had to stop worrying about the firearm and printing. Don’t get me wrong, I still double check it every so often. Also, you have to move differently, so for example, squat to pick stuff up if you can.

Here’s an article on cant. I Cant Even: A Brief Guide to Holster Cant

2 Likes

Exactly James. a must is a good holster and gun belt. i have zero print with my favorite holster.

3 Likes

@Ryan4 I was surprised how much difference a gun belt makes.
And welcome to the group!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Ryan4!

1 Like

I am currently using a crossbreed belt and holster. I like this minituck, but I am still trying out different holsters. I have found that now that the weather is warming a bit the leather is breaking in better and it seems to be helping. I haven’t taken the photos yet but stay tuned, I should get them up here this coming weekend. Thank you for all the tips and suggestions. I’m reading about cant right now.

4 Likes

Derrick, if you have any questions, please ask.

4 Likes

You may want to consider a concealed carry shirt. I like UnderTech, but there are many other brands available. The shirts are made of a tight fitting material that you wear another shirt over. There are a few things to consider. 1.) Can you access your gun quickly, you will have to pull a t-shirt higher than you would for a ISWB draw, or you can pull open a button shirt - you will have to practice and decide if you are comfortable with the access. 2.) Most of these retain the gun in elastic material similar to what you would get in a belly band, so you will want to get a trigger guard cover. The trigger guard cover can be attached to your belt with paracord to allow it to pull free on the draw.

2 Likes

You answered my question before I could ask it, @Greg1 1! I was going to ask how you practice to remove the trigger guard.

2 Likes