Comfort or Stealth

Would you care to share holster manufacturer?

3 Likes

I have not, maybe I’ll ask Santa for a gift card to purchase one with…

3 Likes

@Mike164 I hear Santa loves giving things for firearms! :smiley:

The first Kydex holster that I used was a WIngman Mod. 2. I have switched since using this one, but it’s great quality for a reasonable cost.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Its a sliding scale. As comfortable as I can be while maintaining my stealth.

6 Likes

I love mine.

3 Likes

Thank you, Scott

Edit,
No, STI. No, staccato.
Will check back.

4 Likes

My several experiments with several versions of wing/claw on various holsters have produced uniform results — unbearable; also pulls the grip in, but pushes the belt out.

I’ve had much better luck with a single clip attached at the same place a claw is often mounted — in front of/below the trigger guard. Pulls the grip flat without a hard spot on my hip or pushing the belt out, and moves the clip away from the thickest part of the slide. Discreet and comfy, but like any other solution — depends on gun, holster, ride, cant, location, body proportion, etc.

4 Likes

As a 38+ year retired LEO I have carried a firearm all my 74 year old adult life & have a box of old holsters in my garage. I have been using a “N8tactical” Pro IWB holster for several years as it is the most comfortable IWB holster I’ve ever worn. Since retiring to NC I found my old leather holsters would let sweat soak through & start to form rust on my guns. My “N8tactical” holsters are suede leather against my skin with a neoprene liner then leather backer & a kydex holster with a trigger guard retention feature. The leather & kydex holster work great, the neoprene liner keeps sweat at bay & the suede leather is super soft & comfortable against my skin. The trigger guard retainer is a bonus feature. As I stated all my old kydex & leather holsters are in a storage box in the garage. “N8tactical” holsters are made in Lexington, NC also a bonus.

3 Likes

What type of belt are you using?

For me, that happens with a “soft” or flexible belt. I have an “around the house belt” (forgot the brand) that works well for a holster but isnt stiff enough and that one does get pushed out (also sags a little). But my “EDC” belts like Kore are stiff enough where 90% pulls in grip and maybe 10% is push out (if that) when carried appendix. I suppose body type and carry position play a factor as well.

4 Likes

What Harvey said ^

A proper belt is paramount. Holster secures the gun, belt secures the holster. I always opt for the stiffer option, like a Wildnerness Instructor or frequent flyer belt, 1.5", five stich, with the added stiffener insert

Or for leather a beltman belt with stiffener or insert or whatever the choice is

4 Likes

Purchased from Crossbreed. It’s a stitched double nylon 1.5 inch. I’d call it a middle space belt — not a “normal” belt, nor a floppy fake “tactical” belt, nor a “platform” belt you have to insert yourself into instead of simply putting on pants. Just right; and affordable.

I’m sure the belt flexes more than 1/2" thick laminated leather or steel core belts. I think carry position at 1:30 to 2 o’clock is another key to my issues, as the pressure hard point is on the front corner of the ilium.

I have also worked out comfortable and effective applications of a wedge. But my bottom line is — with the right holster, set up right — I have comfort, concealment, and simplicity without all the accessories, so why bother?

4 Likes

A good friend of mine sent me the below article because he knows I like the foam holster pads. If you’re not able to buy the foam pads from like Tier1 or JM Kydex, seriously consider reading this article. Comfort aside I really feel like having the foam pad on the holster improves concealment. I have shirts I can’t wear with holsters not using a pad and vice versa.

4 Likes

Stealth, in my observations, is overrated. My EDCs are full size, alternating irregularly between a 17 and a 1911. I find no evidence in my own experience that anybody notices. Never have I been called out passively or actively in my some 20 years of carry – not by passersby, not by hired security, not by law enforcement.

4 Likes

BTW: This is a great segue into recommending the most recent USCCA Protector Academy course,

"Concealed Carry Lifestyle Pt1

With Steve Fischer, Justin Peters, Beth Alcaz"

Those of you who can, pop onto the website and give it a watch. :slight_smile:

Small spoiler: Printing is discussed

5 Likes

I fully endorse Melody’s DIY wedge solution.
It’s economical, and I think it’s more durable and keeps the gun in position better than most purpose-built products of open- or closed-cell foam. Couple years of comfort and performance without deterioration — then I figured out my no-wedge/no-claw solution which is easier to slip on and off. If you want a wedge, try it.

lauer wedge1

Limitations:
– not adjustable thickness unless you can find thicker heel cups;
– like any adhesive solution, do it right or things will peel off;
– holster is harder to slip on & off with sticky gel than an integral molded Kydex wedge.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the shoe thing yet and luckily I have some foam pads on hand still. Still an interesting solution.

2 Likes

It is a very interesting and informative video.

2 Likes

Both can be achieved.

4 Likes

Today I went with “Stealth”. Wore my Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 for my Glock 43. I always seem to have a little discomfort when I appendix carry. Maybe I am to chubby. Lol.

3 Likes